The More Boys I Meet

Eighteen

VIKTOR’S POV

I pulled up to her dorm that Friday and waited ten minutes before she came out, an overnight duffel on her shoulder. She looked like shit.

I rolled down the window as she essentially stumbled to the car. “Did you get any sleep this week Ells?”

“Studying,” she mumbled.

“There’s a blanket in the back,” I told her as she climbed into the backseat, kicking off her shoes and snuggling up the blanket. “Wait!” she sat up. “Is this blanket your’s?” she looked slightly disgusted.

I chuckled, pulling away from her dorm and towards the road back to Illinois state line. “Nope. Stole it from Krugs. He’s got like ten blankets on his bed and I figured he wouldn’t miss just one.”

“Oh. Okay,” she yawned, settling back against the seat. “Wake me when we get home, okay?”

“Sure thing Ells.”

Four hours later and she was still dead asleep. I debated on waking her, but decided against it. I carried her inside and set her on the couch, next to Krugs who was flipping through a hockey magazine. He looked up and eyed the blanket and the girl wrapped in it. “So that’s where my blanket went to.”

I laughed. “You actually noticed?”

“Of course,” he said, tossing the magazine on the table.

I went into the kitchen where Kaner was making food. “Well that will wake Ellie right up.”

“I’m aiming for that,” he said as he continued making the tacos.

“Oh, she’s waking up already,” I leaned on the counter, watching two interact with each other. It was always interesting.

“Oh hey,” she said sleepily, stretching her arms. “Are you doing okay?”

“Oh yeah,” the lie slid right between his teeth.

She dropped her arms and I knew she was narrowing her eyes at him. She could see right through the little guy. “Liar.”

“No,” he waved her off. “Just a small hit.”

“So if I were to flick you in the head, you would be perfectly fine?”

“It would not be wise,” he chose his words carefully.

“You missed the last two periods of the game!” she pointed out.

“Precaution,” he said breezily.

“I heard Coach Q’s press release you idiot. He called you and you didn’t respond and I assume you’re the kind of guy who normally responds, so in conclusion you are not okay!” Girl had some sass.

Krugs paused. “Writing papers lately?”

She sighed. “Is it really that obvious?”

“You yelled ‘in conclusion’ at me,” he reminded her.

She shrugged. “Want to watch Iron Man?” she asked, totally changing the subject.

“Sure,” he said and they just ended their conversation. Just like that.

I turned back to Kaner who was shaking his head. “Did you see that entire thing?” I asked.

“Yeah. Jesus, never would have pegged those two to become close friends or any kind of friends for that matter.”

“I would have never pegged her to sleep with you either,” I smirked.

He snickered. “I don’t believe it either.”