The More Boys I Meet

Forty Six

“Do you want to. . . ?” Marcus asked as we walked back to the car.

“Nope,” I said easily, sliding into the passenger seat.

“Ellie. . .” he started.

I tossed him a look that was probably the coldest and meanest stare I had ever given him in the years of knowing him. “Can we please leave?”

He kept his eyes on me a few seconds longer, before turning on the car and pulling out of parking lot. “Yeah, sure babe.”

I was quiet the entire ride home and through most of the graduation party, which I knew concerned Pat, Viktor, and Marcus. Fortunately Alice kept Viktor busy and Pat was running around trying to keep the food from burning. Marcus however, hovered over me, not really saying anything, but always there. Just in case.

“I’ll be right back,” I kissed his cheek and walked inside and upstairs to sit on my bed. I rubbed my temple, trying to sort out my thoughts.

I should have been nicer to Mandy. . .

I should have at least hugged my father. . .

He should have called me to tell me he was coming. . .

He should have called me more than twice a year. . .

There were so many things I could have done better. There were so many things he could have done better. But it was too late for that.

There was a knock on the door and I turned around expecting Marcus. My mouth dropped a little at who was actually in the doorway.

“Dad,” I stood up, contemplating what to do. “I didn’t realize you knew where I lived to be honest,” I admitted. I had just told him that I was moving in with a good friend and I was going to be fine. He usually wired some money every month into my account, but that was it.

He stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking around my bedroom. “I’ve known for a while. Patrick told me two years ago. I called him up and made sure he was clean, or well mostly clean,” he raised his eyebrows. “Seems he’s on the straight and narrow though.”

I nodded slowly. “Um yeah,” was all I could manage. I had no idea what to say to my father.

He walked over to my bookshelf, looking through some of the titles. “You know when your mother died. . .” he paused to run his hand over one book in particular before continuing on. “We started to drift apart and I saw it happening. And marrying Mandy didn’t help our relationship.”

“It may have been a little too soon,” I admitted, watching him.

“I thought you just needed time to adjust. But then you graduated high school, accepted the scholarship and were gone. And I just let you go.”

I waited.

“I still thought you’d come around. It took me all four years you’ve been gone to understand I have to come to you.”

“Well you’re here,” my voice was raw.

He smiled. “I’m here. Permanently. Ellie, I should have called more. I should have insisted on visiting you or you visiting us. I’m sorry.”

I nodded. “Yeah, okay. I’m sorry too.”

He looked at me and I mean really looked at me. “You may look more like me, but you’ve got her personality. You’re outgoing and playful,” he turned to look out the window at the unassuming party guests outside. “But she was secretive at the same time. Whenever I thought I knew your mother, she always surprised me. Up until the day she left us, she kept surprising me. I have a feeling you’re surprising your boys downstairs,” he nodded down where Marcus, Pat, Viktor, and Alice were talking and discreetly looking up at us.

I looked down at my bare feet. “What are you trying to say Dad?”

He placed a hand on my shoulder. “I’m saying you’ve got a good group down there Ellie. And I think you’ve got them a little worried. Are you and that Marcus kid living together?”

I looked up, horrified. “Dad!”

He shrugged. “I’m surprised you’re not. You guys seem to know each other like the back of your hand. I give you my blessing to get married.”

I snorted. “Because we’ll be getting married soon. Yeah, right.”

He laughed. “Go back downstairs to your party. Congrats kiddo. You’ve made me very proud. Your mother too,” he looked at me and pulled me in for a gentle hug.

I tried not to choke up as I hurried downstairs, trying to plaster a small smile on my face. Marcus met me at the patio door and his eyes searched my face for something that could explain the way I’ve been acting.

I threw my arms around him. “I love you Marcus,” I told him. “I love you so much.”

His arms snaked around my waist and he held on tight. “I love you too Ellie. Don’t you ever forget that.”

“I won’t,” I promised.
♠ ♠ ♠
Congrats to the Hawks for kicking butt coming into the 2013 season! Thanks to all my readers who still reads this story!! I love you all for being so patient with me :)