The More Boys I Meet

Four

I peeked out after a few moments and saw his date get up, heading towards the bathrooms. I was about to escape back to the table, but Viktor signaled for me to stay in the bathrooms. Probably to talk up this Kayla girl.

I ran back to the sinks, pretending to spruce myself up. She walked in and I smiled as sweetly as I could at her. “Hi there!”

She tossed back a rehearsed fake smile and started applying some lip stick to her already red lips. “Is that your date out there?” I asked, brushing out my hair. “He’s hot.”

She looked confused, before she answered. “Oh! Him. Yeah, he’s alright.”

“Just alright?” I scoffed.

“Good enough for now. You know what I mean? There’s always someone better out there in the world. He’s just a stepping stone to the next hockey star,” she laughed.

I pretended to laugh along. “Yeah, I totally know what you mean.”

She nodded and walked out and I just stared at my reflection in the mirror for a few extra seconds before I went back out.

“So?” Viktor looked eager for information.

“She’s a gold digger,” I replied. “A dirty, skanky, good for nothing gold digger. You were right and I’m glad I listened to you. Save the kid from heartbreak.”

“He looks really into her,” he murmured.

I dared a peek and he was right. . .ish. “That’s the most emotion I’ve seen from that face of his and if that’s the most out of it, then wow.”

He laughed into his arm. “He has emotion. You just have to catch it at the right time.”

I snorted. “I have yet to see it.”

Our food arrived and we dug in, momentarily forgetting about Marcus and his good for nothing date.

Viktor sat back, his plate cleared. “So, what do we do now?”

I looked up from my salad and my eyes widened. “Um. . .”

“I mean I don’t even know if he’ll listen to us. I mean she’s a bitch and he must know about it. Why are you looking at me like that?” he asked.

I pointed my fork behind him and Viktor sighed. “The kid’s behind me, isn’t he?”

I nodded.

“He looks pissed, doesn’t he?”

“Most pissed I’ve ever seen him,” I answered.

“Care to sit down Krugs?” he asked, pulling out a chair.

I didn’t think he would sit down. But Marcus Kruger sat down and stared me down. “Don’t look at me sweetheart,” I held up my hands before going back to my food. “He gave me a sob story and convinced me to go. I went into the bathroom and that lovely excuse for a human came in, didn’t even think you were cute and essentially called herself a gold digger. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.”

I glanced up and found Marcus glaring at Viktor instead. They spoke in Swedish briefly before Marcus stood up and went back to that excuse of a human.

Viktor sighed. “He’ll learn. Come on Ells. We should be getting back.”

We stood to go and I noticed that Marcus was watching us. He didn’t look angry anymore. He looked a little guilty and I knew that he really did believe us, but like any other guy, he had his pride to look out for first.

I sighed and turned back. I was going to regret this later, I just knew it. “Hey baby,” I winked at Marcus, one hand on the hip, girly kinda stance going.

He looked taken back and his cheeks even turned a little pink. He pointed at himself, and looking around the café.

“Yeah you, sweetheart. How about you leave this little tramp here and we go off and have some fun together, yeah?” I did my best flirty smile.

“Excuse me?” Kayla, the bitch, stood up. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Exactly what you said darling. You’re just a stepping stone to the next big thing here and I think I’ll take him for my own. What do you say sweetie? Wanna come hang out with me instead? I can guarantee more fun than this.”

He smiled, understanding what I was doing and stood. He threw down a twenty and offered up a arm for me, which I gladly took.

The more boys I meet, the more interesting my life got.

We hit the street and Viktor had the car running and ready to go. I shoved the baby Swede inside and jumped in next to him. “Hit it Viktor!”

He peeled out onto the busy street, cutting off three different drivers in Bolland’s brand new car. The perfect way to end a mission.

“Thanks,” Marcus muttered.

“Anytime baby Swede. Anytime,” I ruffled his hair. “By the way, you owe me a trip to the beach considering you ruined my day.”

“Seems fair enough,” he said after a moment.

And there I thought, I would have a calm and quiet summer. Ha! That was only the beginning.