Baby, I'm a Million.

Make It Better

We all walked down the street away from Nancy’s house. I felt really bad about what had happened, and I felt slightly responsible since I’m the one that thought it would be a good idea for Bender to come with us. I thought it would be good for Nancy to see some more of her friends and get a sense of what her life was like before the accident. I hadn’t thought about how Bender would react.

“Damn it, Avery, I told you we shouldn’t have invited him,” Ferris complains. He had been bitching at me about inviting Bender ever since we left Nancy’s. I kept my hands shoved in my jacket pockets, and I kept my eyes glued to the ground; letting my blonde curls fall in my face like a curtain. I didn’t say anything to him; I felt bad enough as it was.

“It’s not that big of a deal,” Cameron says, “besides it’s not Avery’s fault. She didn’t know that would go down.” I smile at him gratefully before returning to watching my feet.

“I don’t understand why you insist on involving him in our business,” Ferris says to me. I still don’t say anything back to him.

We all fall back into silence, and all I can hear is our footsteps. I didn’t know where we were walking to, but I followed them anyway. I would have done anything that kept me from having to go home.

“Do you guys wanna go get something to eat?” Cameron says finally.

Ferris shakes his head, “I’m just gonna go home.”

“What about you, Avery?”

“Yeah, sure.”
Ferris says goodbye to Cameron. He starts to give me a hug before he leaves, but I shake my head. He looks hurt, which makes me feel bad, but I just didn’t feel like being close to Ferris. I was mad at him.

Cameron and I go to the diner, where we find Bender sitting in the parking lot smoking a cigarette. Something about seeing Bender sitting on the curb smoking a cigarette made me feel somewhat tingly. Man, I really did like Bender. He looked up at me with the same serious expression he had when he left Nancy’s house. He stands up and walks over me, completely ignoring Cameron. I expected Bender to start being all sarcastic like usual, but instead he sighs.

“She’s my only real friend,” he says quietly. He looks down at the ground, and suddenly he looked vulnerable. It was really weird seeing him like that. I wished that I could make it better.