Baby, I'm a Million.

Morning.

I was finishing eating a piece of toast when my mom came into the kitchen with a concerned look on her face.

“Avery, sweetie, do you know that boy sitting on our lawn?” she asked softly.

“I don’t know,” I shove the last of my toast in my mouth and wash it down with milk.

I peek out the window, and Bender is sitting on the grass singing a song I didn’t recognize. He was probably making it up. He looked amazing. I don’t know if it was because I was mad at Ferris or if I had just been seeing Bender in a different light, but lately he’s seemed very attractive to me.

“Oh yeah, Mom, that’s my friend John Bender.”

“What’s he doing?”

I shrug, “I guess he just came to walk me to school.”

She sighs, “Well, tell him that tomorrow he can just knock on the door.”

“Okay,” I gather my books. “I’ll see you later, Mom.”

I walk outside, trying to contain my laughter as Bender started singing the theme song to Three’s Company. As I started getting closer to him, I noticed there was a cut on his lip.

“Hey, creeper,” I say casually.
He jumps up off the ground, and brushes himself off.

“Hi, Avery,” he says nervously. It was unexpected.

“What are you doing here?”

He looks down at the ground, and follows me as I start walking down the street.

“I just thought I could walk you to school, that’s it.”

I bite my lip shyly, and find myself staring at the ground too. I didn’t know what to say when I was around John. He was just so different from me. We got to school, and we instantly spotted Nancy. She was walking with Andy.

“Wow! When did they start talking?” Bender asked.

“That’s a good question.”

“Let’s find out!” He grabs my hand and drags me to them.