Benevolence: My Sister

A Day of Understanding

“Again.”
Mya shot another arrow.
“Again.”
She shot another.
“Again.”
Another.
“Are you even trying to hit the target?”
“Of course I am.”
“Can you see the target?”
“Taya.”
Half of the sun hung just above the trees throwing its splendor of early morning colors over the village. They’d been out for three hours. It’d taken Mya an hour to learn to string the bow and an hour to learn how to hold the arrow to the string. The third hour was filled with “agains” by Taya.
“I’d like a break.”
“Archers and swordsmen don’t take breaks. During a fight, a war, the enemy doesn’t stop for breaks.”
“I demand a break.”
Taya made a face and bowed slightly showing that she recognized her charge’s order.
“Sorry,” Mya said softly walking away.
Taya picked up her bow and arrow.
“It’s not that hard. Violet can do it.”
She aimed and her arrow angrily thudded into the center of the target.
“Your princess is very…rudimentary? Premature?”
“That’s what I’m for, Link.”
A brown algen sat on a limb in a tree. His legs were crossed with his back to the tree itself. He also wore the loose pants in a rich brown color that matched his short hair, a few strands hanging in his face. Strong wings rested at his sides and he sized Taya up with attractive narrow eyes. He was young, early twenties, and very handsome. His sleeveless white tunic caused young women to revel at his fitness. His wingspan reflected Taya’s.
She looked at him, remembering the crush she’d secretly harbored when she was younger; still harbored.
“Where’s Ramsey?”
“I told you she’d ask about me,” said a young voice.
A younger version of Link stepped from behind the tree and landed next to her.
She smiled brightly at him. “How old are you now?” she asked running a hand through his hair.
“Twelve.”
She hugged him and rustled his hair with both hands. Link came down from the tree.
“He’s like your twin.”
“Lucky,” Link mused.
“Anyway, what’re you doing here?”
“We’re here to help guard the queen-to-be. I decided to bring my little brother because he can be very useful. LT, Little Trickster.”
“Help?”
“Now, Amber,” he warned. “Don’t go thinking-
She took to the skies.
“If the girl comes back, watch her.”
“Okay.”
Link sped after her. When he got close enough, her wings shot out of her back and flapped once. She soared faster, evading his grasp. He shook his head, following her.
At a certain point she came to a short hallway. Everyone in the hallway stopped, waiting to see why she was there. Link appeared at her side. They walked down the hallway together.
“What’re they staring at?” she asked.
“Who knows why the High Algen does anything?”
When they got to the Great Doors at the end, she pushed them open without hesitation.
Looking around, she saw that most of the High Algen were there, seated, and listening to something Queen Livi was saying. She excused herself when Taya entered.
“Whatever the problem is, Amber, it can wait.”
“You think I need ‘help’ guarding my own sister.”
Queen Livi sighed. “This power you have is new and uncharted for you. I’m just making sure that in case something should go wrong, there’s a plan b. If something went wrong in battle and you couldn’t get to her in time or your abilities fail you, what would happen to her?”
“That’s why I’m training her.”
“Amber, you always say, ‘Consider the “ifs” a warning. If there are no ‘ifs’, nothing can go wrong.’”
“Never thought those words being spewed at me.”
“They were wise words. Still are. Link’s talent and Ramsey’s energy are going to waste here. Let them assist you. It is still your clan to lead.”
Taya looked at Link. “Assist?”
He bowed to her. “Assist.”

Mya walked back out into the clearing she and Taya were using to “hone” her skills as Taya called it.
She looked around and noticed the boy sitting in the shade of a tree, almost unnoticeably.
“Hi,” he said to her anxiously, coming toward her.
“Hello, she replied warily.”
He looked down and smiled shyly.
“Who are you?”
“My name’s Ramsey.”
“Do you know where-
“She and my older brother went to talk to the queen. Actually, he chased after her.”
“What?”
“They should be back soon.”
“Who’s your brother?”
“Link. We’re back-up. We cover the ‘ifs’.”
“What?”
Taya and Link appeared behind her.
Mya turned around confused, “Taya, what’s going on? Who are these people?”
“These people are also algen. This is Link and Ramsey. They’re going to help make sure you make it to Faylaore alive.”
“Isn’t that what you’re for?”
“Yes, but even I can’t be in all places at all times as my grandmother so put it. And yes, that’s also what I’m training you for but you can’t see all, meaning you can’t react to what you don’t see coming. She struggled with the next line, “Neither can I. That’s where they come in.”
“To cover the ‘ifs’,” Mya parroted Ramsey.
Link inhaled his wings, “She’s a fast learner.”
Mya narrowed her eyes at him pointedly.
“We swear our allegiance to you,” Link proclaimed.
“Thank you,” she accepted despite herself.
“Ramsey, stay with Mya. Link and I need to talk.”
“My lessons,” Mya argued.
“Your life,” Taya retorted.
She frowned at Taya and walked away, the little algen close behind.
“Follow me,” Taya prompted Link.
She took him to Garrett, Night and Rye.
“This is Link.”
“Hiya.”
They all looked at Taya.
“This is Night, an ezolin and my best friend; Garrett, a warrior and my best friend’ and Rye, a wolf …and my other best friend. Link and his little brother Ramsey will be assisting, emphasis on assisting, us in protecting Mya.”
They all began talking at once, sounding their understanding and agreement.
“Good. We all understand each other then.”
“Oh, yeah,” Garrett nodded.
“Garrett, you should get along with him very well.”
“Really? What’re your thoughts on our princess?”
“Country girl?” Link inquired.
“Indeed.”
“Egg collecting commoner.”
Garrett smiled, “I do like you.”
He offered Link his forearm and they shook.
“The feeling’s mutual.”
Do we really need another Garrett? Rye asked.

She found Mya and took her back out to the targets.
“Alright. Picking up where we left off.”
Mya hit the center of the target.
“Let’s see how many more times you can-
She hit it three more times.
“Getting big headed, are we?”
“No. Ramsey helped me see what I was doing wrong.”
“Think you can shoot down my daggers?”
“Oh, no. At least not yet,” she said smiling and hitting the center of another target.
“I’m glad you’re done with this for now,” she said taking the bow and arrow.
“Why?”
“It’s time to move on to the hand-to-hand portion.”
“Must I learn this?”
“Yes and your order will not stop me from teaching you something beneficial to your health.”
“Fine but I’d prefer if I was given an example; perhaps a demonstration?”
“Sure. Pick your victim.”
“Link. I heard him call me rudimentary and immature.”
He laughed. “And I meant it,” he said standing.
“Well, now you work for me. Now get to it.”
Link rustled his little brother’s hair, “Pay attention.”
“Watch and learn,” Taya told Mya.
“I hope living with them doesn’t mean you fight like them.”
“I’ve learned a thing or two. You should be surprised.”
“I doubt it.”
They each took their stances.
Just a heads up but they can stand like this all day, Night warned. The best offense is a good defense.
They turned their attention back to the field.
“Maybe I should’ve picked Garrett.”
Link was a good choice, Night reassured.
Link stomped his foot on the ground causing a block of dirt under Taya to shoot up out of the ground and hit her in the chin. She fell onto her back. She saw Link’s foot pull back and as it swing forward, to kick her, she rolled over, grabbing his left leg and tackled him to the ground. They both rolled off the ground away from each other.
She whipped a lasso of water at him, catching him around the neck. She pulled him in with her right hand and then punched him with a fiery left, literally. He fell backwards and got up slowly.
“Is it just me or did it get really hot all of a sudden?” Garrett asked.
Mya looked out at Taya, “It’s not just you.”
Link stood straight up out of his stance, eyes wide. “Amber, you’re on fire. Literally.”
Taya whimpered. “I don’t know what’s happening.”
“Turn it off,” he snapped.
“I can’t. I don’t even know how I turned it on!”
“What do you mean?”
“It’s too much!” Taya cried out.
Spirit appeared out of thin air.
“What’s happening?”
“I don’t know. She was fine one second and on fire the next,” Link explained.
What’s going on? Rye questioned.
“Just give her some space. Let her get it out,” Spirit directed.
Everyone backed up.
On all fours, gritting her teeth in silent pain, Taya was ablaze.
“Do something! She’s hurting!” Mya yelled at Spirit.
“There’s nothing I can do.”
“But she’s in pain.”
“She has to do it on her own.”
Night stood in front of Mya, feeling her uneasiness.
Be still, young princess.
“It’s getting worse.”
She bit the corner of her bottom lip then rolled under Night’s legs and ran into the open field.
“Mya!” Spirit called.
She threw her arms around Taya and a thick fog covered the field.
Link ran into the cloud. His mouth dropped opened when he got to the girls.
“You guys might want to see this.”
Night, Spirit, Link and Ramsey repeatedly flapped their wings clearing the fog.
They all looked at the two girls, Mya arms tangled up with an unconscious Taya’s.
“How?” Garrett asked.
“The soil is soaking wet,” Link said lifting his boots. “Mud?”
Water from Mya, Night clarified.
She stood up, her clothing dripping, her mouth open wordlessly.
“What did you do? How did you do it?” Garrett asked.
Spirit covered Taya’s nudity with her wings.
“Can someone get me a towel?” she asked.
Allow me, Rye volunteered.
“Is she going to be okay?” Mya asked groggily.
“What happened?” Spirit inquired.
“When I fell on top of her, all this water came out of me. It doesn’t make sense.”
“Sure it does,” Spirit explained. “Tabios was an elemental. He mostly dealt with Wind and Fire but water is also an element. You got it from your father. Sometimes it takes longer for abilities to manifest themselves. You’ve never needed yours until now. Someone you cared about was in danger.”
“You doused her fire. You saved her.” Garrett smiled at her admirably.
Spirit! Rye gave her the towel.
“Don’t worry,” Spirit comforted. “Taya’s strong.”
She covered Taya up and handed her to Link.
“Goodbye.”
Once inside, Mya made everyone leave the room. “I’ll tell you if she wakes up but for now, she’s resting.”
“I’ll be downstairs.” Garrett said leaving the room.
“I’ll be outside,” Link informed.
“Okay.”
Mya closed the door. She carefully washed all the mud off of Taya’s brown skin. Next she dried body and her hair. After clothing her, she sat at Taya’s bedside thinking about what Spirit had said. She was an elemental.

“Not only did you bring me none of the three individuals I asked for but you brought a child in their place,” Keen mused humorlessly.
“She’s not just any child. This is Violet.”
“Violet.”
“Taya’s star pupil. This girl worships her. ‘You’ll wish you’d never met me when Taya comes for me.’ She’s valuable.”
“But how does Taya feel about her?”
“Strongly enough to abandon Luke’s body with two arrows in her chest in an attempt to rescue her apprentice, only to be rejected by a third arrow.”
“I suppose.”
“She will come to us and she’ll bring the girl with her.”
“Incentive. Good job,” Keen approved. “So Luke is dead? No doubt?”
“No thanks to you! Pray I don’t get my hands on a weapon.”
Keen laughed lightly. “I like you, little one. You’re just like her. I wouldn’t be shocked if you were the princess right under my nose. Have her tested. I want to be absolutely sure. Afterward, little Violet and I are going to spend some time together,” he exclaimed smiling down at the sneering girl.
One of the men escorted her from the room.
“Did you see my brother?”
“He was fighting against us as I expected him to.”
“This is very disappointing. I don’t want to kill my own brother but I may have to.”
“Allow me.”
“No. The least I can do for him is have him die by my hand. If he is to die, no one will do it but me, especially not you.”

Link looked up and saw a shadow approaching. “Scien.”
Scien stopped in his tracks.
“You thought you were sneaking up on me,” Link laughed quietly.
“Who are you?”
“That is none of your concern, nor is she so do us both a favor and return from where you came.”
“Who are you to give me orders?”
“Your superior in every way that counts.”
“Care to back that up?”
“Your knight’s training cannot begin to compare to the training I’ve had. You’ve said your piece to her and she to you. Nothing more needs to be said. Get lost. Let the ones who love her care.”
“You love her?” Scien laughed. “That’s too bad. Taya loves no one anymore.”
“Believe what you will.”
“You won’t be able to keep her alive long enough for your prophecy to take wing.”
“I won’t even ask how you know about the prophecy but if you know that much then you should know algen are immortal, you idiot. Her livelihood is the least of our worries. I will warn you one more time: Make yourself disappear.”
Their eyes met, aggressively. Scien was tempted to pull his sword but the ground began to rattle just enough.
“I’ll be back.”
When he turned to go, he bumped into Ramsey.
“Don’t bother. Go home, Scien. You’re no longer needed here. If you really want to challenge my brother, join your brother’s revolution.” He smiled at Scien, “Please, join it.”
Scien looked at Ramsey then back at Link and walked away.

Taya groaned and rubbed her head.
“Taya?”
“I don’t remember going to sleep. I don’t sleep when the sun’s up.”
“Well, the sun’s not up anymore. Besides, there was an accident, sort of.”
“What kind of accident?” She sat up.
“You couldn’t control your fire. It spread over your whole body.”
“I remember that. I remember it hurting. I passed out?”
“No. I extinguished you. I have,” she struggled to find the right words, “I have--water abilities. I was so scared for you, I guess that was reason enough for it to reveal itself and help me save you.”
Taya stared at her intensely. “You saved me?”
“It seems that way. I didn’t know I could-
“It’s possible you got it from Alona."
"Your mother said I got it from Tabios."
"My mother thinks the world of my father. He gets credit for everything good that happens in a hundred mile radius."
Mya nodded.
"My grandmother said I’d have problems with my elements. I’ve got to train all over again,” she said frustrated.
“Calm down. That’s mainly why you went all flame on in the first place. I’m worried that-
“You’re worried? About me? You-
“Stop interrupting me! I’m really anxious; I mean you make me anxious. This sudden sisterly relationship between us is overwhelming mostly because you’re such a big sister. You have all the qualities and intentions of an older sibling but you have to let me be your sister, too." Mya returned Taya's passionate stare. "You want to keep me safe from the bad guys. Well, I want to keep you safe from yourself.”
“Myself?”
“You said you would try not to want vengeance but you do. You’re just repressing it. That isn’t helping you control your new strength. The best thing for you to do is want it. Then it’ll be safe to be you and safe to be around you.”
“You don’t know me well enough to care about me. I want to be your sister but it’s not instinct as it should be. Protecting is an instinct. It’ll take time for us to become sisters.”
“That’s where you’re wrong, Taya. As soon as I found out you were my sister, I loved you. Just like as soon as I found out Alona is my mother and Tabios was my father. I loved them.”
“I don’t understand that.”
“You used to. But hurt is a powerful thing and it built a wall around your heart letting no one in. You hold on to the few you already loved before. But when you lose one of them, like Luke, another wall goes up around the last one.”
“And you?”
“I love strongly, too. My family…I don’t know what has become of them but I have faith. I’m also softer than you, so even if I have lost them, I’ll still love them and who they were.”
Taya shook her head.
“Let’s make a deal. In exchange for you teaching me to defend myself, I can teach you how to open your heart again and help you tear down those walls.”
“I like it just fine behind these walls.”
"Scared?"
"Nothing scares me."
“Then we'll start with Link," Mya said ignoring the fact that Taya hadn't agreed at all. "Scien hurt you with this whole outgrowing him business. But Link will help you forget all about that.”
“No thanks. Link is old news. Besides, this is no time for a love entrance."
“But you guys have such chemistry.”
“No. You and Garrett have great chemistry.”
Mya got up and left the room.

“How are they?”
“He’s getting worse but she appears to be getting better. It would seem he got the majority of the bane.
A knight in Faylaore colors stood in the chambers of the king and queen. He looked at the with sad dark blue eyes and low eyebrows. Even his mustache seemed to sag with sadness. His chin practically rested on his chest as he held his hands in his pockets, unsure of what else to do with them. The medic updated him on the condition of the King and his sister, Queen Alona.
“Jon?” a soft voice wailed.
“I’d like to be left alone.”
“Yes, sir.”
“And their condition is of the utmost confidentiality.”
“Yes Sir Knight.”
The medic left the room. The tall man silently strolled over to his sister, his feet moving noiselessly across the oak floors. He pulled a chair to her side of the bed and sat down.
“Jon.”
“Alona?”
“Tell me the truth.”
He looked away from her. She reached out for him and he grabbed hold of her hand, kissing it.
"Tell me."
He sighed. “You and Mathis were poisoned. You’re getting better. He’s not.”
“Who did this?”
“We’re not sure. But don’t worry, we’re looking.”
“I need you to do something for me. If I were able I’d do it myself.”
“Name it.”
She squeezed his hand. “I know you’d rather stay here with me but this is more important.”
“I’m listening.”
“Find my daughter.”
“Alright.”
“And Taya.”
“No,” he stood up and turned away from her, shaking his head.
“She’s a part of this. Mya will need her.”
He turned sharply, “After all the trouble she’s caused.”
“Remember why. We killed her father!" she shouted, coughing. "I got to live and he had to die. That was unfair. I don’t blame her. I never did. Besides, she thought he was innocent.”
"He wasn't innocent."
"But it wasn't his fault either. It was the two of us together."
“I guess.”
“They are both your nieces. You remember your relationship with her.”
“I do. She was a pleasure to be around.” He smiled remembering a younger Taya.
Just then, Spirit blew into the room.
“You’re awake. I have good news.”
“What do you mean?” Alona asked.
“The girls are together.”
“How?”
“Night rescued Mya and took her to Taya. Men raided and burned her house looking for her.”
“Oh, no.”
“Settle down. She was uninjured, just a bit shaken up. However, they attacked again yesterday. Luke is dead.”
“Luke.” Jon lowered his head.
“They took Taya’s protégé captive. She may be in Faylaore somewhere.”
“At least they’re together.”
“And learning from each other. They’ll be beneficial to one another.”
“Has Taya changed?”
“She has,” Spirit stated proudly. “Flaming amber colored wings. She’s vengeful for Violet. But apologetic to you and Mathis.”
“She meant no harm.”
“Mya may turn out to be an elemental as well. She used water earlier today. If she uses another then I'll be certain.”
“I can’t wait to see her.”
“She’s beautiful. She looks just like Taya. They could be twins. But she has your poise and disposition. She cares so deeply, she’s selfless and she accepts criticism. She has the potential to be a great queen. ”
“You have to be able to accept criticism with Taya for a sister,” Jon mumbled.
“I’ll ignore that, Jon,” Spirit said.
“Now, because I know you know, I'll ask you. Who’s responsible for this?”
“I cannot disclose that information. You’re impulsive, especially when it comes to your sister. To keep everyone safe, his identity will stay hidden.”
“But we could end this all right now. Tell me! That’s not a request,” he barked.
“Nor was it a threat. But you just proved to me all the more why you shouldn’t know. I will, however, keep you updated.”
She left the same way she'd come, through the window.
“You don’t have to leave now. They'll come to us.”

Taya heated up the air around her to dry her hair then misty to cool it down and flatten her hair out.
“Can't believe I was on fire.”
There was a knock at the door.
“Amber, or uh, Taya?”
“Link?”
He stuck his head in then entered.
“I’m glad you’re okay.”
He smiled at her.
“Thanks.”
“Your mom said you’d be okay. She was right.”
“Yeah. She usually is.”
“I have to admit, though, I was scared when I saw you out there.”
“I barely remember it. I do, however, remember you provoking me. That was supposed to be a powerless hand-to-hand fight.”
“You’ve got to be specific. You know how algen do it.
“Ah, yes. I’ll keep a note of that for next time.”
“You had a visitor.”
“Really?”
“Scien.”
She looked away.
"What'd he want?"
“Don’t know. Says he wanted to see how you were.”
“What’d you tell him?”
“I told him to get lost. Was I wrong?”
“No. I don’t want to see him. He can go back to Faylaore for all I care. I don’t want to have anything to do with him.”
“You don’t have to worry about him,” he hugged her. “I’ll take care of you.”
She pushed him away, “I don’t need taking care of,” she raised her voice.
“Sorry.”
She sighed, “I didn't mean to yell at you.”
“You did do that.”
She playfully punched him in the arm.
“So you’re moving on from Scien.”
“I moved on two years ago when I left Faylaore.”
“Perhaps the blacksmith.”
“Luke would somehow kill me,” she smiled rolling her eyes.
“Garrett.”
“Night, Rye, my mother, my grandmother, Pi-
“They’d kill you.”
“Right,” she chuckled. “Besides, he and I are just friends. He’s more like a brother.”
“I don’t know of anyone else."
"Exactly."
He looked down, "Oh."
"I know Mya sent you. And I'm going to tell you the same thing I told her: This is no time for a love entrance."

“Garrett!”
He turned around, thrown off balance from the forward thrust he was executing.
“Did something happen to Taya?”
“No.”
“Then, princess, I implore, you never startle me like that again, especially with a weapon in my hand.”
“You are very hard to find in such a small town.”
“I don’t like to be found when I’m training. I like to be alone, immersed in my doings. Total concentration.”
“You must have been practicing very hard,” she noted how profusely he sweated.
“Taya’s stronger. I have to be stronger. We’re a team. Sometimes in battle our sync is so natural. I want it to stay that way.”
“That’s a very good reason.”
“I know. And why are you casually roaming a town full of people who’ll gladly take the opportunity? You should be accompanied.”
“I agree. Walk me back.”
He looked between the sword in his hand and Mya.
“All right but I’m coming right back.”
“Of course.”
He returned his sword to its sleeve and followed her.
“How is Taya?”
“She’s fine and awake. We had a detailed talk about our being sisters; about our bond, both physical and mental. I talked to her about her episodes.”
“Episodes?”
“That’s the first time it became that serious but not the first time she’s...heated up.”
“Heated up?”
“She did it once when she returned, while she and I spoke alone. Then, remember when she spoke to Scien at Jonah’s and it got really hot all of a sudden?”
“That was her? She’s always been in such control. She must be upset that she’ll have to start training again.”
She laughed lightly at how well he knew Taya.
“She is. But I got her off to a good start.”
“And you. It’s possible that you’re also an elemental, if you take on another natural ability.”
“Or I just got it from my mother.”
“True. How are you feeling, though?”
“I’m okay. I’m glad she’s calling me her sister. That means a lot to be connected to her. I get a glimpse of my father.”
He laughed loudly.
“What?”
“You want a glimpse of Tabios, look in the mirror. You look just like Taya and she favors Tabios. Therefore, so do you.”
“He was a handsome man. I saw him once on a trip to the city. There was a painting for sell. It was very cheap but it wasn’t a necessity or they just didn’t want me to find out.”
“They were trying to protect you. “
“And with good reason. Look where I am now.”
“Don’t look at just the negative.”
“What’s so positive about people wanting to kill you?”
“That’s the negative. The positive: you’ve discovered a sister who’d die for you. You’re pretty much protected by the algen, Taya being one of them. An ezolin and even a crazed wolf defend you. You have all of their guaranteed backing. And on top of that,” he looked around, “you’re royalty.”
“You didn’t include yourself.”
“I’m just a guy; a best friend slash side kick. Technically, I don’t count.”
“You definitely count to Taya."
She watched the corners of his mouth turn up. He was proud to be Taya's friend.
"And you count to me.”
She touched his hand and they stopped.
“You’re just saying that.”
“I’m not.”
They silently stood, savoring the coming moment. He kissed her lightly. They stared at each other in sheer ecstasy.
“I should get you back.”
“Yeah.”
They headed further into town, Mya with a little skip in her step. When they made it back, she asked Garrett to take her to see Night. He left her at the stables.
Night comfortably lay on the ground. When he sensed her, he opened his eyes and sat up.
“Hello, Night.”
He softly neighed his hello.
“Oh, no. Don’t be quiet now. You spoke to me on that field today.”
He nodded his head.
“What did you say?”
Night decided to humor her. She might be able to hear him this time, too.
I told you to be still. I didn’t want you to get hurt. Taya would blame herself and everyone else.
Mya stared at Night wide eyed.
Did you hear me?
“Yes.”
Maybe you should sit down.
Why’s she staring at you like that?
Mya quickly turned to face Rye.
Because she can hear us now.
Congratulations, she said sarcastically.
“I’m going back to Jonah’s.”
See ya later, Rye laughed.
Mya entered through the back door and headed up the stairs to the room she and Taya shared.
“How’d it go?” she asked Taya enthusiastically.
“How'd what go?”
"Your meeting with Link."
"I meant what I said. I turned him away."
Mya sighed deeply. "Will you not let yourself be happy?"
"I'll be happy when you rule."
“Fine. Well, at least I got some action. Garrett kissed me.”
“Joy,” Taya said sardonically.
Mya narrowed her eyes at her sister. “It’s getting late.”
“Yeah,” Taya went around the room blowing out candles. “They don’t need to know we’re still awake. They’re getting restless.”
“The fun’s only ever in the middle of the day.”
“Sometimes but there’ll be days full of fun; weeks even.”
“Taya?”
“Yes?”
“I don’t want you taking anymore arrows or things like that for me. If anyone needs to be healthy it’s you.”
“I agree but I’ll be fine. I’m here to keep arrows and such out of you. Remember, I’m immortal now, and that’s on the record. I can be wounded but I’ll bounce back. I can handle it. You can’t.”
“You don’t want me to die?”
Taya smiled. “Not anymore. You’re my little sister.”
Mya hugged her.
“Whoa! Okay. All right, princess.”
“You know what? You’re a princess too. Your grandmother is a queen.”
“I’ll hear no more of this.”
“Don’t take anymore arrows or anything for me. That’s an order.”
“You’re a priority. That trumps your order.”
“It’s not fair. How can I argue with you when you know more about this stuff than I do?”
“You can't. But I can teach you about the laws.”
“More lessons? I’m turning in.”
“You sure?”
Mya waved away the question and went to change.
Mya changed into sleeping clothes that Taya had in a wardrobe. Taya watched her settle down in the bed, and fuss with the sheets until they were just right. She watched her until all movement ceased and Mya was finally asleep. Taya sat upright on the edge of the bed angled between the window and the door. When she eventually allowed her eyes to close, it wasn't for long. Her eyes quickly snapped opened and looked around. She got up, went to the window and looked down at the stables.
“Something’s not right.”
She started to take off out the window but remembered who she was supposed to be protecting. She also didn’t want to give herself away to whoever was watching. She thought for a moment then put her hand to her mouth and did a bird call. After waiting, an owl landed on the seal.
She told the owl to find Link and tell him to come to her room but to keep to the shadows.
After much apprehensive waiting, he silently landed in the room.
“Something’s wrong,” she whispered.
“I feel it, too.”
“Night and Rye always stay with me when I’m sleeping. They’re not in the stables. Rye may wonder but Night refuses to leave me. I think this town has had enough of us.”
“What do you suggest?”
“Take Mya. Don’t wake her. I’ll get Garrett and look for Night.”
“What about Rye?”
“If she’s not with Night, she’s safe.”
He carefully picked up Mya and went out the way he came.
She looked after them then went to the door.
She backed away as the door knob begun to turn. When they burst in, she tossed herself off the seal. Before she could react, groups of arrows simultaneously chased after her. She only liked using her wings in emergencies and this qualified. She released her wings and as soon as she did, an arrow on a rope tore into the one on the right. She bit back the pain as was harshly yanked to the ground.
“We got her!”
Taya smashed into the dirt. When she found her bearings, snatched the arrow from her wing and stood up reluctantly.
“Yeah, you’ve got me,” she smiled harshly. “But can you handle me?”
The people became quiet.
“You act like you don’t know what I’m capable of. You all are scared of me for a reason. Did you forget why or do you need a reminder?”
“Where are the others?” a man asked.
“My uncle’s friend declares war on his niece. He’d be proud, Tomas.”
“Where are the others?” Tomas shouted.
“Where is my horse?” she said angrily.
“We’ll trade.”
She laughed.
“I’m being courteous but that can change. Now, my horse!”
“No,” he retorted.
She shook her head. After a set of different whistles, Garrett and the others joined her.
“I outnumbered you by myself. How confident do you feel now?”
“On my command!” Tomas bellowed.
“Link.”
“I got it.”
“Fire!”Tomas commanded.
Link surrounded them in a hurricane of wind, repealing the arrows. On Taya’s cue, he stopped.
“Now you’re out of arrows.”
“We’ll attack head-on.”
“You're a determined bunch of morons. Try us.”
“Taya, no,” Mya murmured.
“Attack!”
The town ran at the small group and came to a halt when a ring of fire went up around the group.
“So you really have forgotten how powerful I am.” She turned to her friends. She looked away, the darkness and dancing fire casting secretive shadows over her face. “You go. I have some things to finish up here.”
“No. You come with us,” Mya said.
She shook her head.
“She’ll be okay,” Link pointed out.
They all left hesitantly.
She put the fire out.
“Few of you accepted me when I came here. But it was enough to make me like this place despite the majority hating me. I allowed your hate for the few that loved.”
“We’ve lost family because of you,” a woman stated.
“And I haven’t? I’m without a father and now an uncle. Don’t you think my heart is heavy with the notion that I brought this calamity upon you? I brought you heartache, pain and lost to the likes of which none of you had ever seen or experienced. But I live that every day. I fought at your sides. I took pain for you. I almost died for one of yours; one of mine," she said sadly. "You attempted to fix what was broken in me when I came here and this is how I repaid you. You tried to kill my friends, my family because of my actions.
“You think by taking them away, you’ll cause me more pain? You’re wrong. I’m always in pain. I don't care very much for most of you. Haria is no longer my safe haven. Luke and Violet meant more to me than any of your family meant to you because I have very little family left. If that makes you angry to hear me say that, that’s your right. Your family’s gone and so is Luke. But if it’ll make you feel better to hurt me physically, I’ll allow you to shoot me. This is my apology.”
She put her wings away.
The towns people hesitated not knowing if she was serious. Then an arrow was shot from the back of the crowd. It ran through Taya’s shoulder and stuck there.
Domi stepped through the people. “I lost my oldest brother.”
Blood trickled down Taya’s arm. Domi shot another arrow that connected with Taya’s side.
“That was for him.”
She walked away and more people began picking up fallen arrows and shooting them at her. She caught one that flew at her neck.
Five minutes later, Taya’s wings darted out of her back and wrapped themselves around her badly wounded body.
“Peel those things back!” Tomas shouted, rejuvenated in his cause.
“Enough!”
Lady Genna and Dex stood rushed to Taya's aid.
“Lady-
“Let her talk!” Dex hollered.
“She handed herself over so that you could fulfill your revenge and you’ve taken advantage of this burden she carries. She is sincerely apologetic but you are unforgiving. You’re trying to kill her.”
“Algen are immortal.”
“So what, Tomas! They have feelings as well. They’re also sacred. Hasn’t this poor girl suffered enough? Mentally and physically?”
“What about your daughter? She was taken captive. Most captives never survive.”
“I love Taya. She gave me her word that she’d bring Violet home alive and well. I’ve done nothing but believe and trust her. She loves Violet. She’d die to make sure my daughter is returned to me unharmed. You’ve forgotten who Taya is. You’ve forgotten yourselves.”
Pitch landed next to her gently placing a hand on her shoulder. He looked around at the armed towns people.
“You’ve avenged your loved ones.” He begun to cackle with that black static, “Shall I avenge mine?”
The people stepped back, frightened.
“No, Pitch.”
He calmed down and picked up Taya. “I’ll tell her you said goodbye,” he said to Lady Genna and Dex.
“Pray our mother doesn’t pay your sleeping town a visit.”
He flew away.