Status: Active :)

Like We Did When We Were Young

I'm not giving up. I'm just starting over.

Kelsey's POV-

"Hey." John said, tucking his hands in his pockets.

I just stared at him. I couldn't say a word. I mean, what could I say? I woke up in bed with him, and then just ran away, angry. What did he want me to say? And why was he here?

"Um," He said, taking a step closer to me. Instantly I took a step back, away from him. He sighed, and said, "Just listen, I need to talk to you."

"Okay." I mumbled.

"Do you want to sit?" He asked, glancing at the couch.

I shook my head, "No, I'm fine. You can't sit if you want, though."

He looked at the couch, hard, before sitting down on it. "So what happened last night-"

"Nothing happened!" I said, defensively.

"I know, I know." He laughed. "It's just, I think I might… like you."

Hold up. What did he just say?

"I don't know you all that well, but I want to. I was hoping you would let me take you out tonight, on a date."

"A date?" I repeated, lifting an eyebrow.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Maybe Harlow and Stephen could come with us, if you want. You know, to take the pressure off, or to feel more comfortable."

"Kelsey, say yes!" Harlow shouted from her room.

I rolled my eyes, and took in a deep breath. "Okay, fine."

"Awesome." John smiled. "I got to get back to the house, but I'll see you tonight." He said, as he got up, off the couch. I walked him to the door, and said "See you later, I guess."

He walked across the lawn, over towards his place. John turned back towards the house; he gave me a quick smile, and a wave. Just as I closed the door, Harlow was in the living room.

"So looks like we both have dates tonight." She gushed.

"Don't be annoying about this." I told her. "I don't need your crap."

"Morning ladies." Justin yawned, as he appeared in the doorway.

"Hey Justin." Harlow smiled.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Well, let me fill you in." Harlow began. "Kelsey woke up in Johns bed, and now her and John are double dating with me and Stephen, tonight."

"No way." Justin shouted.

"Don't make me cancel." I threatened Harlow.

"Oh stop. Just enjoy it, okay?" Harlow said. "Now let's go pick out an outfit, for our dates."

•••

It was ten to seven, when I was putting the finishing touches on my makeup. Harlow was modeling her green dress in front of the mirror. She did a quick twirl, letting the dress flow all around, and then drop down above her knees.

"For someone who isn't excited for this date, she sure is spending a lot of time on her appearance." Harlow said, looking at me through the mirror.

"Maybe they will be cute guys there." I smirked. "You never know."

"Oh, you mean John, right?"

"No."

"Yes."

"Stop."

"Nah." She laughed. "Just give it up. You like John, okay?"

"No, I don't. I hardly know him. I can't like him." I stated.

"You must feel something for him; you were in his bed last night."

"Stop throwing that in my face."

"I'm sorry. I just feel like you guys would be good together."

I didn't say anything back; instead I applied some lip-gloss.

"John is on his way over." Justin sang, while he danced through the hallway. He was still a bit intoxicated.

"Hey Harlow," I said. "Good luck with Stephen."

"Thanks." She smiled.

knock, Knock

It was John. Just on time.

"I'll get it." Justin announced, as he ran to the front door. "Hello John." He said, opening the door for him.

"Hey, how are you?" I heard John ask Justin.

I put down my lip-gloss tube, and braced myself. I took my time to get to the front room. As I made my appearance, John saw me, and smiled. “Hey, you look great.”

“Thanks.” Why does he have to be so nice, sometimes?

“Hey, is Stephen here yet?” Harlow asked, as she walked in the room.

“Nope, just me.” John said.

“Awe, you guys all look so cute.” Justin whined. “I should get my camera.”

“Oh my god, no.” I said to him.

“Stop being so grumpy.” Justin hissed, but gave me a wide smile after.

•••

I sat on the couch, next to John, while Harlow paced the floor. The clock kept ticking along, beeping as it turned seven-thirty.

"Seriously, how is he late?" Harlow said. "He lives next door."

"Do you want me to go over there and see what's taking him so long?" John asked, ready to stand up, and go.

"No, it's fine." Harlow replied, placing her hands on her hips.

"Harlow can't stand when people are late." I whispered to John.

"What?" Harlow said.

"Nothing."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

"Speak of the devil." Harlow said, before opening the door.

"Hey." Stephen said.

"Hi."

"Ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah, we are." Harlow stated

"We were ready thirty minutes ago." I said, under my breath.

•••

John drove to the restaurant. Harlow and Stephen sat in the back of the car, not saying a word to each other. I was up front with John, in the passenger seat.

We had dinner at a bar and grill type restaurant. We all talked, got to know each other. John and I were surprisingly getting along pretty well. Everyone was, until Stephen made a comment about politics, which changed the mood. Who likes to talk about politics, I mean really? Why talk about it on a date, especially the first date?

I stirred my drink with my straw, feeling beyond uncomfortable. Our table was quiet, for a long time, before John cleared his throat. "Um, how do you guys like ASU, so far?"

"I like it." I said.

"Me too." Harlow added, happy to change the subject.

"I couldn't do college." Stephen said. "It was so played out, and overrated.

I sighed, and slumped back in my seat. Stephen wouldn’t let any conversation be easy.

Harlow and Stephen couldn't agree on anything. They could even agree on the simplest of things. Stephen loves Drake, Harlow doesn’t. Harlow likes One Direction, Stephen: "rather cut his ears off."

It was safe to say Harlow and Stephen were not a match made in heaven. They continued to butt heads, for the rest of the evening.

•••

John took us all home. Stephen left quickly to get back to his house, while John stuck around, for a little bit. We stood in the front doorway, of my house.

"Well, tonight was interesting." John said. "Not what I was expecting."

I nodded. "Yeah. I don't think we will have anymore double dates with Stephen and Harlow."

John smiled. "We are having more dates?"

I shook my head at myself. That just slipped out. "Don't let it go to your head. If we were to have another date, okay. It's a maybe."

"Maybe means yes, in my book." John laughed, leaning closer to me.

"You're an idiot." I laughed, rolling my eyes at him.

"So," He started, leaning down, closer to my face. "Can I kiss you?"

"Maybe." I said, just before our lips met.

Just then, a loud “Awe.” Filled our ears. We pulled away, and looked over to see Justin smiling.

“Get out of here, Justin!” I shouted at him.

“Sorry, sorry.” He giggled, walking away.

John laughed. “I should get back home, now.” He leaned down, and quickly kissed my cheek, before opening the door. He peeked back and gave me a smile. As he faded away, I shut the door. I went and plopped down on the couch. Harlow walked in the room, already changed in to her pajamas. “Hey.” She smiled.

"I'm sorry that tonight didn't go so great."

"It's okay." She said. "Stephen and I just aren't meant to be."

"Arizona is a big state, you will be able to find a new guy soon."

"I'm not too worried about it. I should be focusing on school, and work, anyways."
♠ ♠ ♠
Better late, than never?

Thanks for reading :)