Status: Active :)

Like We Did When We Were Young

Hopeful romantic I don't ever want to be alone.

“Why are you so sad?” Joel asked as he started frying the French fries.

“I had a bad date,” I said, staring at my coffee.

Joel and I had the midnight shift at work, which basically meant the only people who came in were late-night stoners who were in the need for the unhealthiest French fries you could make.

“With Stephen, right?” he asked, and I nodded. “Yeah, I could have told you that one. You two are completely different.”

“All we did was butt heads,” I said. “I wish the date could have gone well.”

“Well,” he said, smiling. “There are plenty of fish in the sea. Don’t stay hung up over one bad date, Harlow. It just wasn’t meant to be.”

“I know, I know,” I said.

“How did John and Kelsey’s date go?” he asked.

“Wonderful,” I said. “And she didn’t say it, but they almost kissed on the mouth but Justin interrupted them, of course. So John kissed her on the cheek. And Kelsey won’t admit to it, but she really likes him.”

“John’s a good guy,” Joel said. “You won’t have to worry about him hurting her.”

“How’d you know I’d get worried?” I asked.

“I can just tell,” he said with a chuckle. “Here, go take these fries to table 8 before they eat our faces.”

I laughed, “Sounds like a good idea.”

I served the table the plates of fries, and they nearly attacked them before I had the chance to set them down. I made my way to safety behind the counter with Joel.

“I’m still mad at you for not telling me about being in a band!” I said.

“I didn’t think it was a big deal,” he said, shrugging.

“You knew I’d find out too!” I said.

“I know, I know,” he said. “I’m sorry.”

“I know, it’s not that big of deal,” I said. “But you’re really talented, Joel. What are you doing in this lame diner? Why aren’t you on the road?”

“Touring is expensive and we just don’t have the money for it yet. Not enough fans to come out to make even the slightest bit of money.”

“That sucks,” I said. “More people deserve to listen to your voice.”

Joel looked down, trying to hide the blush that rose in his cheeks. “Thanks, Harlow.”

---

“Where’s Kelsey?” I asked Justin the next day.

“She’s with John,” he said with a smirk. “They’re getting ice cream.”

“No way!” I said.

“I wasn’t supposed to tell you, but you know I would anyways,” he said.

“Of course,” I said, plopping down on the couch next to him. “So when are you gonna go on a date with a hot guy?”

“When the time comes, Harlow,” he said. “I enjoy the life of not being tied down. Arizona has some hot guys.”

“They definitely do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's short and I'm sorry it's late but I like this chapter idk