Lonely Day

One

Sebastian walked slowly along the sidewalk, the hood of his jacket was thrown over his head, his hands were buired in his pockets. Rain fell heavily from the sky as thunder rumbled in the distance. Ten minutes of walking and Sebastian was already soaked to the skin and shivering. He hardly cared though as he was deep within his thoughts. Thinking back to that horrible day. The day Zachary was murdered. The day he not only lost his boyfriend but his best friend.

They had met through mutual friends days before they began dating. Almost immedately Sebastian started falling for Zachary. He was everything Sebastian wanted in a guy. Zachary was funny and honest and cared for Sebastain deeply. Zachary was also out and proud of who he was, he didn't let anyone tear him down -- something Sebastain envied but had always feared to do. He feared coming out and proudly exclaiming to the world that he was gay and nothing anyone said was going to change him. He was scared of others discriminating him. When Sebastian finally voiced his fears to Zachary, Zachary had pulled him into a tight embrace and told him he shouldn't let what other's said or did stop him from being who he was, from dating whomever he loved. With Zachary by his side he came out to his family. Sebastain's mother wasn't thrilled by the idea and his siblings were far from supportive. His older brother thought it was disgusting and unnatural, then he left the living room without a glance back. Not looking at him his younger sister had fallowed suite.

It was a week before Mom had finally accepted him, during time which Sebastain and Zachary had already began dating. His bother still disliked the idea and found every opportunity he could to avoid Sebastian, staying out of the house as long as possible. His sister, too, avoided him. Whenever he entered the same room as her she'd sudden stop whatever she was doing and go hide in her room. Sebastian felt as if he no longer belonged in the family. School was worse, aside from the jeers and snide comments he recieved, he was beaten up on an almost daily basis. Sebastian wasn't sure how everyone found out but had the distinct feeling someone might have said something....

Sebastian came to his destination, the local cemetery. He came to a halt at Zachary's grave. Engraved in the headstone was Zachary's full name, below were two years: 1995-2012. White and pink roses lay on the ground beneath it, soaked from the rain. Sebastian stood there looking at it, glad no one was at cemetery, that he was alone. It was at the park that some boys from school had beaten Zachary until he was dead. At the park that Zachary had yelled for Sebastian to run while he tried to hold them off. Tears welled in his eyes as the memory came flooding back. Remembering the look of pure hate on each of the boys' faces as he was kicked and punched. Remembering the taunts and them yelling how he deserved to be beaten to death alongside his lover. He was beaten until he lost consciousness. Slowly he came around sometime later to the sound of sirens.

Days later Sebastian had woken up in the hospital. Upon seeing, his mother the first question he remembered asking her was where Zachary was.

"He's being taken very good care of," was all she would tell him.

Sebastian didn't like remembering this. He didn't like the fact that he'd survived the attack when Zachary hadn't.

"I miss you every day, Zachary," Sebastian whispered, "it's hard to believe you've been gone almost two months. I look out the window every day expecting to see you walking down the sidewalk, coming to get me for our daily walk. It hurts that you are no longer here... I'm sorry I didn't attend your funeral..." he trailed off. Thunder rummbled overhead. "It just isn't fair, you know," he continued after awhile, "I finally meet a guy who loves me for who I am and its ripped out of my hands before I have a chance to fully appreciate it. Maybe one day I'll find someone who shows me the same kind of love you did, Zachary, though I highly doubt it. Who would ever love someone with a broken heart such as mine?"

Without another word Sebastian left the cemertry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my best story, but comment anyway?