Molly Was a Good Girl

Number 6

I was so ashamed.
I sat on a tree stump by the river, hidden from sight by a large evergreen bush. I looked down at myself and saw a weak, disgusting person who couldn’t stand up for herself... why had I just stayed there? Why hadn’t I fought back? I was a pathetic, stupid cow... And I had torn my skirt. Not only that, but I had lost one shoe, laddered my tights, shredded my blouse, lost all the buttons on it, got twigs and mud in my knotted and matted hair, and lost all of my schoolbooks. There was no way I could go home like that. I rummaged around until I found my phone and started writing a text message.

“Hi mum, I’m goin 2 annas 2 do a project 4 schl- shud b bac at bout 6. Ill let myself in. Ly xxx”

Everyone except Dury would be going out at 6, to the big end-of-season football game. I was going to stay at home anyway, they were going to be out until about midnight and I didn’t really like staying out late. I had about an hour and a half to wait, so I curled up on the floor and listened to my brothers practising. I loved them all, so much, but I couldn’t let them see their baby sister like this. I was pathetic.

At 6pm, I heard our huge car start up and leave with the usual commotion that occurs when five teenage boys have to go somewhere. When it was a safe distance away, I crawled up the steep bank to the bottom of our garden and made my way up to the back door. When I looked up, I was extremely shocked to see Dury standing at the French windows. He looked so angry... he was standing with his arms crossed, a huge frown on his face. I didn’t know what to do. I sheepishly walked up to the door and slid inside, feeling his accusing eyes. I could feel the lump in my throat growing bigger and bigger until I could hardly stand it. I tried to slip off into the bathroom but Dury walked over and stood in my way, a pained look in his eyes.

“What the fuck.”
“I fell...” I tried to lie, but it was so against my nature that I just couldn’t.
“Don’t lie to me. Who did this to you?!” He was angry and upset, more so than I have ever seen in him before. I couldn’t bear it. I had caused this...

I broke down, and fell to the floor in a mass of body-shaking sobs. Dury lay next to me and took me into his arms, wiping away my tears on the kitchen floor.