Molly Was a Good Girl

Number 7

Dury carefully lifted my bruised and broken body from the floor and carried me up the stairs, being careful not to hurt me. I felt so helpless and awful. My head was spinning, and I couldn’t think straight at all. All I could think about was how safe I felt while Dury was carrying me.

He walked backwards into the bathroom and sat me down on the wicker chair. He helped me to strip down to my underwear, and then he started to clean up my cuts and bruises. I had no idea how good he was at first aid; he took so much care of me. He brushed my hair, made me a cup of tea and slowly made me feel stronger. All this time he didn’t say a word- he knew when words weren’t necessary.

When I was clean, warm and dressed in comfy jeans and a T-shirt, Dury sat opposite me.
“Molly. I’m not going to interrogate you. I just want you to know that if anything like this ever happens again you run away as fast as you can and phone me. Got it?”
I nodded slowly and stared deep into my mug of tea. I knew I should have told him everything, poured out my heart then and there and got that bastard Marcus’s head kicked in. But I had caused everybody so much hurt and anguish already that I just stayed still and concentrated fully on the tiny dead fly floating around on the pale brown surface of my tea.
“I said, got it? Molly, are you listening to me?” I had made him angry again. I knew it. I lifted my eyes to his and looked deep into the aquamarine jewels.
“I want to forget it, Dury. I just want to move on.” The sadness in his eyes was suddenly replaced with a spark of joy and a glint that never failed to make me smile. They positively lit up.
“Then I have the perfect solution! Come out with me tonight. Have some fun! It’s nothing big, just a small gig a band I know is playing. It’s only around the corner, and we’ll be back well before the rest of the rabble are. What do you say?”

If it had been any other day, I would have sad no. If anything else had happened, I would have run from this opportunity as fast as I could... far too much temptation. It would have been like throwing Eve into a swimming pool full of apples and snakes. However, It was that day and that had happened. So within half an hour I was wearing the tightest jeans I owned, a T-shirt belonging to Dury emblazoning the name of a band I had never heard of and a pair of Dury’s converses from four years ago. My hair was pulled back in a ponytail and I was only wearing eyeliner... I had never felt more beautiful. We were walking down the road, having stuffed our beds full of clothes and left our window open (just in case they came home early). We stood outside what looked like a closed-down hardware shop- the windows were boarded over, there was graffiti all over it and there was a strange smell wafting out of the vent on the side of the wall. Dury walked up to the battered door, and knocked.