Status: Updated on Wednesdays

The Aftermath

The Aftermath

The sun retreated behind foreboding gray clouds, making the water of Lake Hylia look dark, cold, and uninviting. Shadows obscuring the view of the lake in front of him, Link glanced up at the sky and sighed heavily. Rolling mercilessly overhead, the clouds were unconcerned with the day to day lives of the Hylians below. It wasn’t uncommon these days for dark storm clouds to roll in very suddenly, particularly over this area of Hyrule. Stopping to watch the clouds roll curiously in and completely engulf the round sun in the sky, he pondered seeking refuge from what would surely be a torrential downpour. If nothing else, the beautiful rainbow of hues displayed by the sun’s futile fight against the clouds was a sight to behold.

But watching the wind urge the dark blue waters into rolling waves, Link reconsidered hanging around the lake as he had planned and stayed instead in his spot on the grass near the water’s edge. What was the worst that could happen when the storm rolled in? He’d get a little wet? Glancing away from the chilly water hidden by newly developed fog, he decided that after having braved the temple beneath the lake a year prior, he could handle a little rain. Returning his attention to his elbow, and the torn cloth of his undershirt, Link pulled the newly formed tear open further to examine the scrape that he’d received. His shirt was already ruined, so he didn’t care much that he was making it worse.

Pouting his bottom lip when he realized the scrape spread through the entire tear of his shirt, he tore the hole so it was easier for him to reach the sore wound. Ever since the fall of Ganondorf and the collapse of his empire by Link’s hand, Hyrule had been on the mend. Seven years, it had suffered under the rule of the evil man from the deserts, born to a race of female warriors. He had murdered the king and queen of the land, taking the role of king for himself. Their daughter, and rightful heir to the throne, had only managed to escape thanks to some quick thinking from her handmaiden, Impa who had believed the young girl’s dark dreams of a wicked man who would bring destruction to the land.

Link had, nearly a year ago, managed to recover the seven sages and their powers so that he could stand a chance against the powers that Ganondorf had strengthened while Link had spent those seven years trapped in a slumber within the Temple of Time after having pulled the fated Master Sword from its tomb.

While the princess had taken on the role of Queen, she had no castle, no army, no resources or treaties with surrounding countries to aid her. Though Link was confident in Zelda’s ability to rule the recovering kingdom of Hyrule, what he wasn’t confident of was if the Queen would be able to manage enough recovery before forces stronger than the two of them combined attempted to take over and bring them to their knees.

Feeling the first drops of rain on his head through his green hat, Link glanced with blue eyes up at the sky to see a few black birds flying overhead, searching for refuge away from the lake and the oncoming storm. Thunder made Link shiver and tremble as though a chill had passed through him. Hurrying to wipe the blood away from the wound, realizing covering a wound in wet gauze would do him no good, Link quickly wrapped his elbow, ripping the cloth with his teeth. Covering up wounds had been something he’d learned during his adventures, something he had been forced to become good at. It had either been learn to take care of himself or die, so he had been very grateful that he’d become a natural at the task.

Standing up Link took a moment to adjust the heavy load on his back; his sword, shield, quiver of arrows, and the magical bag he carried at his waist to keep any of his other items safe. Clicking his tongue, he turned to face the path leading away from the lake and toward the vast fields of Hyrule, squinting his eyes to see through the fog, searching for something within.

His faithful companion, Epona, a beautiful and rebellious mare, had wandered off around the lake while he’d sat to rest and clean his wounds. Ever since the collapse of Ganondorf’s empire strangers had found their way through Hyrule’s borders, no longer protected by dark magic, seeking either the throne or the rumored golden power hidden somewhere within the country. While he’d been blessed by the three goddesses who had created the land eons ago, the Triforce still eluded anyone who searched for it. Link figured that was because no one was meant to wield such power and while greedy hearts became consumed with the idea of possession, Link took it upon himself to protect the legend.

What he had grown weary of was the constant danger. Walking away from the lake, looking still through the fog for his horse, he brought two fingers to his lips and blew a loud whistle to call for her. Not that he didn’t enjoy the fight, the struggle, and the constant thrill of adventure, in fact he’d loved it. But he had missed out on his entire childhood to save a world that had fallen into such disrepair despite his efforts. When the princess had asked him to take on the task, he hadn’t considered the long term repercussions.

“Queen. Zelda’s not a princess anymore. It’s hard to get used to.” Link reminded himself, pulling his green hat away from his head and shoving it into the brown bag he held at his waist. He’d often lost his hat in windy weather, so now that the wind had picked up and the rain fell harder, he’d decided it best to simply ditch the thing until the weather had cleared up.

Finally the familiar galloping of his horse reached his ears on the wind. Turning toward the sound of hooves, he waited for the horse to approach. Epona looked happy to have heard her master’s call so Link brushed his fingers over her mane.

“Good girl.” Cooing quietly, remaining close to the horse’s face, Link glanced around his surroundings once more. The Queen had entrusted, nearly begged, Link to take on the role of hero one more time to protect the borders of the land from those who came to them with evil in their hearts. Reluctant to give anymore of his life over to a cause he didn’t fully believe in, Link had agreed, seeing no other choice. Zelda was his friend, practically his family, so how could he turn her down in her time of need? How else could he help the land he so loved? While he couldn’t vouch for the people of Hyrule, not given the chance to acquaint himself with more than a small handful of them, he knew that the land and its creatures, even the less than benevolent ones, deserved to live in peace.

So one by one, Link had sent visitors with evil in their hearts packing, or to the grave. Smiling at the thought of his success, he grabbed the top of Epona’s saddle, slipped a foot in the stirrup and climbed onto her back. Clicking his tongue, Link pulled on Epona’s reins and urged her to turn about face, toward the entrance to the field. Epona bucked in objection and Link grimaced, leaning to talk once more to the horse. Epona had been his only long term, consistent companion, and so he’d learn to gauge what her movements and nuances could mean if translated into speech.

“What is it girl?” Brushing his fingers through her mane, he looked around for some sort of threat hidden in the fog. “Is something there?” When a whinny reached his ears, Link knew at once what his horse had been trying to tell him.

“I forgot something, didn’t I? Something important.” Link sat up straight on the horse and started toward Hyrule Field, still plagued by spirits and monsters Link had been unable to vanquish entirely. There were sections that had begun to flourish over the year past despite the wild creatures running amok. The people of the surrounding villages, in an attempt to boost Hyrule’s economy, had built farms and tilled the land to prepare it for farming, some crops had managed to grow and thrive, others that had withered and failed.

As Link urged Epona along a path that rode through some of the fields, he felt a surge of hope, seeing how many of the crops in that particular area had become successful. In the distance, at the end of the field, the silhouette of an owl statue signified the entrance to one of the newer towns rebuilt after the collapse of Ganondorf’s regime. Standing, hooded and looking rather annoyed, was Hyrule’s only remaining Sheikah, Impa. The severe looking woman had herself covered in a cloak from head to toe to keep from getting completely soaked in the downpour.

Riding next to the statue, Link dismounted and pet Epona soothingly. Impa simply stared in response with her steely gaze, looking disapproving. Before she could scold him like a child for being late, Link held up his hand in objection.

“I’m sorry. I was cleaning up some scrapes from last night that I hadn’t gotten a chance to clean up before I’d passed out from exhaustion. I’d nearly forgotten until Epona reminded me we were supposed to meet. Forgive me.” Link sighed and then nodded toward his horse. “Is there a stable where I can tie her up so she can be safe from the rain?”

“Yes.” Impa chose her words wisely. Her severe features softened and she smiled, clearly accepting Link’s apology as a heartfelt one. “Follow me. I already tied up Champion.” Impa acknowledged her own loyal horse. Link followed the woman past the owl statue and into the streets of the small town. It seemed she had considered scolding Link despite his explanation and apology for being late, but had changed her mind. After the night before when she’d watched Link wrestle with a peculiar ranger type fellow who had come in through the forest, harassing the Kokiri in search of the golden power, she was feeling rather forgiving. After all, the young man had done so much for their kingdom, she could allow him to be late every once in awhile as long as he didn’t make a habit of it.

Without responding, Link followed, guiding Epona along by her reins, and taking in the small town’s décor. If he hadn’t had prior knowledge that people lived in this place, he might have never known. Due to the bad weather, the windows were closed, some of them even boarded over to keep the rain out, leading Link to believe the storms had become rather frequent. There wasn’t another soul in sight as far as he could see and he wondered how long they had been plagued by storms. He didn’t often stay at the Inns within the towns, he much rather stay in a tent of his own making overnight. Unfortunately all of the time he’d spent traveling alone over the years, saving Hyrule and finding solace only in the few companions he found at the end of each journey, Link had become a loner and when in new social situations, became rather quiet.

It wasn’t that he was shy, just that he wasn’t used to being around so many people. One on one he was fine, but in large crowds he garnered unwanted attention and unless he was telling a story about a battle he’d been in or an adventure he’d been on, he stayed quiet and kept his head down. Perhaps it was from all the time he’d spent trying to keep himself out of the watchful eye of Ganondorf and his fiends that he’d learn to blend into the background. Whatever it was, it was no aid to him now that the biggest battle of his life had long since ended. The only friends he found himself comfortable around were Zelda and Impa. Even his childhood friends seemed to be removed from him, and not by any fault of their own. He was a different person before he’d grabbed the Master Sword and gone on his adventure.

Impa led him to the stables in the far end of town. Once inside Link turned to his horse, pet her on the nose, receiving an approving whinny then led her into the stall next to Champion, a muscular black stallion that looked proud even as he stood in the stall, still damp from the rain. Epona trotted inside the stall and before leaving Link pulled an apple from his bag and offered it to his horse, watching her eat and enjoy each bit of it before petting her mane once again. Whispering an approving murmur of what a good horse she was, he patted her side and then stepped out of the stall, closing it properly with Impa’s guidance. Link wasn’t used to proper stables, usually he let Epona do what she wished when he was busy.

“Come now, we’ll grab a warm drink at the pub.” Impa nodded back out into the rain. Link nodded his head and followed the woman down the road to a dark, but surprisingly clean, pub. It seemed like the entire town had gathered inside the pub to wait out the storm. Nearly all the tables were filled with adults and children alike, enjoying various meals and drinks. The sound of chatter was surprising after having heard only rain for so long.

“Impa! I saved a table for you.” A jovial looking man with rosy red cheeks and a long tailored mustache was wiping out two glass mugs with a white rag, nodding toward the corner of the pub. Impa thanked the man and Link averted his eyes to the table that had been acknowledged, aware that the bartender who had addressed Impa was staring at him. People weren’t sure if they should treat him like a celebrity or fear him and he didn’t want to steer them in either direction. While he was sure that it was impossible for one to do what he had done and still have a normal life, he was hoping he could eventually find some level of normal so he could be treated like everyone else in towns like this.

Sitting down at the table, Link smiled cordially at the bartender who poured them each a mug of ale, lingered awkwardly, expecting further conversation, then cleared his throat and left when he realized neither Link nor Impa had anything to say to him.

“So, why did you want me to meet with you today, Impa?” Link ignored the glass of ale in front of him. He’d never found the need to drink, and surrounded by all these people, he didn’t think it was the time to dive into such a habit.

“What, a woman can’t come and greet her friend and take him out for a drink?” The corner of Impa’s eyes wrinkled with age, but her smile felt much younger.

“Well, if that were the case I doubt you would’ve been so frustrated that I had forgotten.” Link chuckled pulling his sheath off of his back and laying it across the seat behind him, sure to lean on it so if it went missing, he would know in an instant.

“Oh you see right through me each time. There is indeed something I would like to discuss with you. Something rather important actually.”

“There usually is.”

“As you know, the Queen has been contemplating how to rebuild Hyrule’s peaceful kingdom.” Impa began, setting her own drink aside after taking a gulp of it. Link nodded in recognition. “Well, you can’t have a kingdom without an army. I’m sure after having to chase out those villains last night, you realize this as well as anyone.”

“Yes, Hyrule is vulnerable and people with greed in the back of their minds know that. Hyrule needs to be protected.” Link agreed sternly, though he had no idea how on Earth such a destroyed land would find protection after all that had occurred.

“Exactly. Now, all the old knights were killed when Ganondorf took over but people are coming out of hiding now that the evil king has been sent to his grave. Hylians love this land, Link, they love it as much as you and I do.”

“I’m aware. I’m sure if they didn’t, they wouldn’t have stuck around through all those years of torment.” Link swirled his glass of ale around, with no intention of drinking it. The foam at the top of the glass swirled in a pretty pattern and it entertained him while they spoke.

“There are people willing to volunteer their services, to protect and serve our great kingdom even while we rebuild and recover from the damage done.”

“Oh really?” Link looked up from the amusing foam in his glass. “That’s excellent to hear.” A smile spread over his face. Perhaps he could find himself after all. He couldn’t be a hero forever, could he?

“Yes, yes… It is great. The only problem is, Link, that no one in this land is qualified to fight. Not anymore. We have the old training grounds… They’re destroyed but could easily be rebuilt!”

“Well that’s most certainly a start.”

“We just need someone to train them.” Impa looked to the younger man knowingly and frowned when she saw the surprise on his face. Surely their entire conversation had been leading to this.

“Me? You want me to train these people?” Link wasn’t unsure of his capabilities, but the daunting task of training an entire group of people to be an army was overwhelming. He knew how to defend himself, how to think on his feet in dangerous situations and go on the offensive when necessary but he had no real technique. No one had taught him how to use a sword or a bow, these had been skills he developed after many failures which had always nearly resulted in his death. How could he teach others how to fight when his battles had always been the product of guess work?

“Of course! Who else could teach them? There are no warriors left here and the only other option would be to find someone outside of the kingdom! Link, we trust you! The Queen and I know what you’re capable of and while we wish you could always be here to protect us from the darkness that surrounds Hyrule even as we speak… we know it is too big of a burden for you to handle on your own. There is no one more qualified within Hyrule to teach our men and women to fight than you!” Impa smiled proudly, as though she were bestowing some sort of honor upon Link.

“What about you? You’re a warrior. Couldn’t you train them?” Link stuttered from his nerves. It was just as daunting a request to be asked to save the world over and over as it was to be asked to train unqualified people to stand in harm’s way. How could he be sure they would all succeed? What if he ended up being the cause of more death and destruction brought to the innocent people of the world? This was surely a burden he could not handle on his own.

“I am not a warrior, Link.” Impa shook her head, looking as though someone had popped her balloon of excitement. “Yes, I know the rudimentary skills that battle requires but I am a Sheikah. I am a magician. Most importantly, I am old.” Impa shook her head and looked down at her weathered and callused hands. “You will not be alone in your task, Link. I have to find and train the Sheikah who have scattered across this world. You will have me for guidance and you will have the sages for support. None of them are warriors, except for perhaps Nabooru but we need a more organized style of fighting. Link, you are the only one we trust with this task.” Holding her hands on the table, she implored to the young man who still remained unsure.

“How do I teach them, Impa? I was never taught!”

“But you learned.” Impa laughed, hoping to instill confidence in her friend. “You learned against all odds because you had no other choice. If you take what you learned on your own and pass this knowledge on to others then it will be more than a good start. We are all playing it by ear here Link and we need your help.”

“I’ll have to think about it.” Link muttered, leaning backwards in his chair. Why hadn’t Zelda asked him to do this himself? They hadn’t had much time to talk or discuss anything but the workings of the land since she had become so busy. He had the feeling that she was afraid to burden him anymore than she already had. Perhaps she felt some guilt for having gotten him involved with this in their youth. She had become like a sister to him, and he would never blame her for what had happened. Resentment sank like a stone in his stomach when he realized the Queen hadn’t come to discuss this with him because Zelda simply didn’t want to. Link did things he didn’t want to do all the time, so it only seemed fair that Zelda should have asked him personally.

Ignoring these selfish thoughts he caught Impa’s disappointed gaze and sighed heavily. “Look that doesn’t mean I’m going to say no. I’ve always been there for Hyrule, Impa. Always. I wouldn’t abandon this place now, would I? I just need to think it over and come up with a plan of attack that I can handle in my mind. Then, I can agree and we can continue. Just let me think about it for a week or so, alright?” Impa seemed satisfied with Link’s further explanation and nodded her head.

“That is understandable. You are still young Link, I do not want you to think that your life is not yours. It is, I merely am offering you a job.”

“You mean Zelda is offering me a job.” Link chuckled.

“The Queen, yes… She was reluctant to ask you. She hasn’t been sleeping, stressed and exhausted when it comes to the affairs of her kingdom. I offered to ask you in her stead.” Impa smiled knowingly and Link sighed with relief. So much time alone had not been good for his thoughts, but now hearing this explanation from Impa, it made perfect sense. Zelda had wanted to ask him, and Impa, constantly looking to take care of Zelda, had offered to ask him instead to give her one less worry.

“Well, I wish she would’ve brought it up when I had been there earlier in the week, but that’s alright. I’ll consider it and try to figure this out in my head. It’s amazing that the world has started to heal on its own accord, you know. I know that we feared that people wouldn’t return but look at this, Impa.” Link smiled looking around the pub that looked like it had been there for years, but in actuality had been built out of the ashes sometime in the last year. “Things will be alright. Time is all we need to heal.”

“You’re right.” Impa smiled knowingly. “Now, I have matters to discuss with the Queen. You are welcome to join me if you like. I’m sure she would like to see you. It has been a long time since she has had company outside of mine and I am less of a friend more of a mother for her.”

“Yes, yes we know you’re an old nag, Impa.” Link joked and Impa gave him a stern but amused look.

“Careful with your words young man.”

“Only when you’re careful with yours, old lady.” Link chuckled, picked up his glass of ale and took a small sip. It made his throat warm as he swallowed but tasted terrible. Impa was glad to see Link in better spirits than when they’d found each other in the pouring rain.

“So, will you join me on my trip?” Impa asked, nodding toward the door, pulling some of the diamond shaped rupees out of her purse to place on the table and pay for their drinks. Link pulled out some of his own as well but stopped as Impa held her hand out and shook her head, to let him know this drink was on her. Considering Link had only taken a sip of his drink, he figured that was fair enough. He would attempt to pay for the next meal they shared together, is all.

“Yes, I think I will.” Link smiled brightly. The idea of leading the armies of Hyrule seemed terrifying still, but the fact that he’d been given the chance to turn down the opportunity meant worlds to him. Getting up from his seat, he picked up his sheath and replaced it around his shoulder and adjusted his green tunic and undershirt beneath it so it all sat comfortably.

“Good, I’ll be glad for the company. I’ve spent the last few weeks traveling alone so it will be nice to have someone to talk to. Besides, I think Champion has taken a shine to Epona, despite her unruly nature.”

“Funny, I thought he was annoyed by her. She is not nearly as proud a horse as he is.” Link chuckled, walking through the crowded pub to reach the door which they’d come across earlier in the night. They walked through the rain, raising their voices properly to hear each other.

“That’s just a ruse you know. He is secretly fond that she’s such a free spirit.” Impa chuckled as they walked and hurried to the stables, making sure Link followed close behind.

“Of course. Funny how opposites, even in animals, seem to attract.”

“Not opposites at all. Champion is as stubborn as he is proud.” Impa smiled as she approached her horse, who looked stoic but pleased to see his owner approaching. Epona, on the other hand, was prancing playfully in place, clearly excited to be ridden again, her head bobbing back and forth with a whinny here or there.

“Well, you wouldn’t be able to see any similarities on the surface.” Link laughed and opened the gate for Epona, who came dancing out and nuzzled her face right up against Link who pet her in response. Champion made a noise of disapproval and trotted out with his head held high, as if to show Epona how a real horse behaved. Epona paid no mind to the other horse. Link took her reins once Impa had Champion ready to travel.

“Well, they’re different as well but… similar enough.” Impa chuckled and the duo walked out of the stables with their horses behind them. They would both wait until they reached the outskirts of town to mount their steeds.

“So what were you doing on your travels, Impa? Regale me with tales of adventure from outside of Hyrule!” Link led Epona through the muddy streets through the rain that had lessened since they’d entered the pub.

“I’m afraid there isn’t much to tell you. My trip wasn’t as fruitful as I had hoped. I’ll have to take several more until I dig up something. But, that story is for another time, as this is what I plan to discuss with the princess. Surely, you wouldn’t want to hear the same story twice, would you? It would be rather pointless.” Impa stopped just past the last house, petting Champion once more before grabbing onto the saddle and pulling herself atop her horse. Link followed suit once he got Epona to stop prancing about excitedly.

“Queen.” Link corrected, urging Epona toward the north, where Hyrule Market had once laid, nestled between the mountains and the forests of Hyrule.

“What?”

“You said princess. She’s the Queen now.” Link clarified as the two started their horses off at a trot toward their destination.

“Oh yes, yes… You are right. I’m afraid it’s been a tough transition for me. She’s been the princess for so long that sometimes I forget when you saved the kingdom she took her place as heir and Queen. I still slip a lot of the times.”

“She probably wouldn’t mind if you just called her Zelda, either.” Link shrugged as the horses ran alongside each other.

“It’s not right. A handmaiden doesn’t call her ruler by her first name.”

“Well, things aren’t exactly normal around here are they? You’re more than just a handmaiden Impa. You said it yourself, you’re more like a mother to Zelda than anyone.” Link glanced over at his friend as the rain began to clear.

“It’s tradition Link, I’m afraid that some old habits aren’t so easy to be rid of.” Impa smiled knowingly at the young man. Link nodded in understanding, even though he still found the entire concept to be silly.

“So what has Zelda been up to then?” Link asked after an awkward moment of silence. “Last I checked she had decided to try and rid Hyrule Market of Redeads. I’m not sure how she was going to go about that, but I’m guessing by the fact that I’ve heard nothing of the event, it hasn’t yet happened.”

“Ah yes, there was a brief time in which we had spent each night, setting the Redeads on fire and hoping to be rid of each of them! But somehow, each night there are more. We are thinking that perhaps the wickedness of Ganondorf’s Tower having been so close might have caused some supernatural occurrence.”

“They just keep coming back.” Link smiled knowingly. “I tried to explain that to Zelda. You can’t kill something that’s already dead. They reform and reappear the next night. The only way to get rid of them is to find what brought them to life in the first place. They’re not zombies, they’re products of magic.”

“I guess your explanation must have struck a chord because that has now become her primary goal. As far as we can guess, the only evil thing that occurred close by was that tower that Ganondorf had built over the ruins of Hyrule Castle.” Impa smiled knowingly. That had been Link’s way of saying I told you so but he had somehow managed to make it not sound insulting at all. Zelda had always been like his little sister, and he always treated her as such.

“So, what does she plan on doing about the castle then? It collapsed when I killed Ganondorf, how else could it be affecting the Market?”

“The land is scarred from the evil deeds that had taken place during Ganondorf’s rule.” Impa scowled.

“So how do we fix that? Scars only fade, rarely heal.”

“The Queen has been attempting to heal the scar left on the earth by the evil king by using her magic bestowed upon her by Kings of old through her blood line. Unfortunately it is tasking for someone who is still learning to use her magic to heal such darkness so it has become a slow and taxing process.”

“Why not ask the other sages to help? That’s how we got into the tower in the first place, so why not ask them to help heal the land?”

“Yes, that is a good idea. We’ll mention it to her when we get to Temple of Time.”

“I’m also willing to chop the hell out of some Redeads if you want some help keeping them off of her back.” Link laughed quietly.

“I’m sure that the Queen will be more than happy for your assistance in the matter.” Impa couldn’t help but laugh a little as well. Silence followed for a few more moments, aside the sound of the wind around them, and the footfalls of Epona and Champion on the path to Hyrule Market.

“Want to race to the castle?” Link said after a moment of awkward quiet, without turning his gaze toward Impa.

“…oh you’re on.” Impa laughed and before she could kick the sides of Champion to get him to run ahead, Link had done the same to Epona and had gone speeding off toward the castle’s ruins. He turned to look over his shoulder and stuck his tongue out at Impa, speeding off ahead. Impa trailed behind. Champion was an older horse than Epona and willing to take less risks while riding.

After a half an hour of sprinting through the fields of Hyrule, they approached the moat that surrounded what had once been the town in front of the castle. The bridge across the moat and into the ruined town had been newly repaired by Impa and Link a month prior. Reaching the bridge first, Link slowed Epona down, but the horse clearly knew she’d done something well because she felt the need to trot around in a few victory circles. Link laughed and leaned close to his horse’s mane.

“Good girl, but it’s time to let me off…” Epona slowed and steadied her hooves, long enough for Link to dismount. Instead of tying her up, he let her do as she pleased. Clearly drained from the race, she took to grazing and sipping water from the moat. Champion came up behind a few moments later and looked annoyed that he’d lost the race. Impa on the other hand, seemed impressed and observed Epona as she meandered happily through the field.

“That’s some horse you’ve got Link. I know I’ve said it before, but Epona is truly a remarkable creature. I’ve never seen a horse so… spirited and loyal.” Champion whinnied in annoyance. “Oh, hush.” Impa dismounted and tied Champion’s reins to the ruined statue of the old king next to the bridge. “You stay here while I go see the Queen and if you’re good, perhaps she will let you come to the Temple tonight and sleep somewhere warm.” Impa patted her horse consolingly and turned to Link.

“She’s more than a horse, she’s my friend.” Link shrugged his shoulders and started onto the bridge that led into the old market town.

“Yes, yes… It doesn’t make her any less peculiar.”

“I think it’s fantastic.” Link chuckled and as he was about to push the heavy barred gates they’d built outside the market town to keep the Redeads from spreading open, an ear splitting scream rang from somewhere within the town walls. Link and Impa froze in their tracks and exchanged knowing glances.

Throwing open the gates to the market town, Link pulled the Master Sword from its sheath and ran into the market, prepared to destroy any Redeads brave enough to step into the daylight. Impa followed behind him, closing the gates behind her, daggers in hand.

They both knew who the distressed cry had belonged to.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own The Legend of Zelda Universe or any of its inhabitants, but I do own the original characters included, so don't steal them!