My Name Is Margaret Grace

Two.

The set was quiet after my arrival early Saturday morning. The news from days before had been chalked up to nothing but rumors, thanks to my amazing agent. However, that did not stop the decision my director had already made... and informed all of my cast mates about.

I had only been on set a total of four minutes, not even long enough to step into my dressing room, when my director stood up from her chair and called me over. I pushed my hands deep into the pockets of my jeans and followed her off of the set and out into the parking lot next to my Jeep. She took a deep breath, lighting a cigarette in the process. She puffed to puffs into her mouth and drew them out slowly before speaking to me.

"Look, Margaret..." Her small eyes are framed behind her glasses as she looks concerned at me. "I know that the story about you has been confirmed as a 'rumor', but... I just cannot risk it."

"Risk what?" It's a simple question but she looks at me as if I have just asked for the secret formula to mankind or something.

"I cannot risk this movie on your promiscuity. No one has confirmed that you are starring in this movie so it should be a simple exit for you."

"But you just told me that you know it's a rumor, so why does it matter?"

"It just does." Her tone is sharp and determined to end this conversation as soon as possible. "Now, I have already discussed with the producers as well as your agent, and we have decided to release you from your contract. You'll still receive a pay of one-hundred thousand for the breach of contract on our end, and that will be that." She glances down at her watch. "I have to go. Filming is starting soon." With that, she leaves me.

I stand there for what seems like forever, my dirty-blonde hair blowing back in the wind. I can feel my blue eyes beginning to water, unable to believe what had just happened. This movie had become my last devotion for my career. I hadn't given much thought to what I had next in line. Every movie offer I received I had turned down. Every television show requesting me had already recast their character written for me. I had turned everyone down for this part!

No, though. I was not about to let this get to me. No one would bring tears from my eyes except for myself. Collecting myself, I put on a bright smile and head back into the studio set. I pass along all of the cast members and head for my dressing room. I can hear their snickers and whispers, something I had become accustomed to over time. My dressing room door was already unlocked for me and when I stepped inside, my boxes were waiting for me. I grabbed them up quickly and left just as quick. My cell phone ended up in my hand and I dialed his number, just needed anyone I could talk to. Someone who would have one-hundred percent faith in me.

Eli was at the park on time when I arrived. He stood in the cool winter air, his raven hair brushing back with every wind gust. I park close to him, getting out of my vehicle. He's got a smile for me that I'm expecting as I head over to him.

"Damsel in Destress?" He smirks. "Looks like you called the right person."

"Don't get cocky, junior." I shoot him a glare as I step over to a picnic table and take a seat on top. "I've been fired."

"Fired from...?"

"My project. A movie that was certain to bring me in millions."

"Over that new rumor?" He waits for the nod I give him before continuing. "You have millions already. Why do you need more?"

I shrug my shoulders as he sits down next to me, our shoulders brushing in the process. "I had a good feeling about this project. I was excited for it."

"There will be a ton of other projects for you, Marge. I know it."

"Look, Eli-- I'm not exactly sure what you see here between us, but don't expect it to happen." I've always thought that honesty was key to any friendship/tolerance.

"Assumptions make an ass out of you, Marge. I have a girlfriend."

"Oh really?" Smiling uncertainly at him, I lick my lips. "Who's the lucky girl?"

"You wouldn't know her," he shrugs, looking down at his feet. "She doesn't go to our school. But she does know who you are, and if she knew we were here together, she wouldn't be angry at all... she'd be jealous. I think she's in love with you." He looks up know at me, grinning widely, dimples forming on his face. He has olive skin and deep brown eyes. I can understand why he has a girlfriend, though I never imagined I would ever have any form of feelings for him.

Eli has always been that one guy in school who I could go to for absolutely anything. He knew me before I ever acted in anything at all. In fact, he was in the audience when I did my first play in second grade. If I were to have a friend at all, he'd be the first person I would choose.

"Can I ask you something, Marge?"

I snap my eyes back up to him and nod. "Sure."

He pauses for a moment before continuing. "Why didn't you call Joseph instead of me?"

I didn't want to tell him the truth, knowing that it would hurt me more than it would hurt him. "I, uh, I don't want to see him anymore."

"Why not?"

"He's just not the one for me."

"And that matters?" He's more than aware of my promiscuity.

"Slightly." Biting my lip, I lift my arm and take a look at my watch. I sigh loudly, standing back up from the bench and patting Eli on the shoulder. "I have to go, dude. I have a meeting with my agent in ten minutes. Can I give you a ride anywhere?"

"That's okay," he stands, pushing his hands into his pockets, his breath visible in the air. "I need to clear my head anyway. I'll see you soon though, yeah?"

I nod and leave him there, knowing that my legacy relies on this next meeting with my agent and the promise of a future role before it's too late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments give inspiration and ideas for a new part. Please?