Don't Let the Smile Fool You

Stupid Smirk

I followed Guardian whatever his name is down a hall, taking long strides just to keep up. He was well over 6 feet, making me look like a little girl, hopping along right behind him. Before I knew it, I entered a room, filled with about fifteen guardians. Suddenly one of them stepped forward.

"Hello Camilla, my name is Hans. It's a pleasure to have you here."

Having nothing much to say, I simply gave a nod. Everyone's eyes in the room were on me, and to be honest, I should have asked Mr. Beautiful name to match your beautiful face back there for a few shots of Vodka before coming here.

"When we received word that you will be joining us, I must say, we were all looking forward to it." Hans stated.

"You're uncle meant a lot to us all, he was a good friend and great Guardian." He finished.

"Thank you." I said not knowing what else to reply to that. I sighed as I soon met my fate. I made a promise, and I must keep it, even if I hated being here.

"This is Guardian Belikov. He will be your mentor while you stay here. I know it means a lot to Arthur that you finish school and receive the promise mark." Hans said as he gestured to anothet tall Guardian, who in turn walked forward and have a slight bow.

I remembered that day so clearly, the day when I made my promise to my uncle. He had decided to visit, a couple months before his death, sadly we didn't know that would be the last time we would ever see him again. After dinner, my mom was settling the little ones into bed, Uncle Arthur asked me to follow him outside.

"How are you Cammy?" He asked, using his nickname for me.

"I'm well, doing what I can to help." I replied.

"I heard about your recent Strigoi attack." He stated. I looked down. It wasn't all that recent, about four months earlier. It was the second one I ever encountered and killed. I hated facing them. They were more experienced at fighting, and both times I had killed them, I was considered lucky. I didn't kill them because I had amazing skills to do so, I killed them because fate decided I needed to live longer. If fate had not been so kind those days, I probably would be dead.

"You did well Cammy. I do wish that you'd return to graduate though, your combat skills are great, but I know you'd be better at facing Strigoi with proper teaching." He said.

"You taught me more than what that school ever will." I stated. It was true, when I was at St. Vlads they taught you basic combat fighting, my Uncle showed me more than just that. When you learn from the best, you become the best, it was common knowledge really.

"I'm serious. You can do so much more for your family by finishing school. I know why you left, and I'm deeply sorry I wasn't there for your mother when it happened, but you can become a great Guardian, I know because you remind me of myself when I was your age. Your determination to protect those that can't protect themselves.....people like the Moroi." I scoffed as he finished. The Moroi can protect themselves, they just got used to the fact that others would risk their own lives to protect them. I knew I was being irrational but, if you saw what I saw every week as a kid, you'd probably be the same.

"How can you be okay protecting people that do horrible things like that?" I asked angrily. My anger didn't phase my uncle though, he knew why I am the way I am.

"Because without them, we wouldn't be here. In order for Dhampirs to be around, Moroi must be around also."

"Yeah yeah I know. I think its rather sick. Moroi mate with others just to make future Guardians." I spat, venom dripping from my tongue as I thought of them. My uncle stood there and sighed.

"Not all Moroi are bad Camilla. One day, I know you will understand." He said, I gave a sarcastic laugh. Yeah right.

"Promise me something." He said, although not looking at me as he said it. I looked up at him, a bit confused.

"Sure, anything." My reply caused him to turn to look at me. His look was stone cold serious. It kinda intimidated me, seeing him look like that.

"Promise me that you will go back and graduate. I have faith that you will learn to see Moroi more than what you grew to accept about them. One day you might be willing to love them, as you love your family." He said with a serious tone,yet a gentle smile on the side.

Camilla couldn't help but roll her eyes at the thought. But she knew how much it would mean to her uncle. He had always been there for her, he taught her to be tough, to be smart in a sticky situation, but also to be strong willed and understanding.

"I promise."

The sound of the door opening behind her brought her back down to earth. In walked Queen Vasilisa followed by Rose Hathaway. Great, even more pressure.

"Hello Camilla." Vasilisa said with a warming smile.

"It's a pleasure to see you again." Vasilisa added.

"You too." Came the response. Camilla mentally kicked her ass for not having a more formal reply, after all she was still talking to the Queen.

"Guardian Belikov has enough experience to make you catch up quickly." Hans said trying to break the awkwardness in the room.

"What?" The question came from Rose Hathaway. The first time she spoke since they arrived. The look on her face came off as confused.

"As you know, Camilla here didn't not graduate from St. Vladimirs, and since she is over age to return back there, we decided that she will finish her studies here at court. Guardian Belikov will have the honor of training her, while I will be issuing her some school work." Hans explained. I glanced over at Guardian Belikov. I must admit, he looked pretty hot.

"Can't you find someone else to train her?" Rose asked looking at me like I was nothing. It was pretty obvious to everyone that the giant green monster called jealousy was in the room. I then glanced at Rose then back to Belikov, a smirk forming on my lips. Well, well, well looks like Guardian Belikov and little Hathaway here are a thing. I raised my eyebrow at Rose, the smirk still plastered on my face.

"Arthur himself requested that Dimitri will train Camilla, a note was sent to us before his death, we were just waiting for Camilla to arrive. After recent events we weren't sure that Dimitri would be able to take the task when she first came to court, but thankfully everything worked out." Hans said. I knew he was talking about the whole once upon a time Strigoi act and Rose's being a fugitive and both of them running away only to return as heroes. I'd been here a little over two weeks, I heard the stories.

"But Dimitri has to protect Christian Ozera, how can he do that while also training?" Rose asked. Gosh will this girl give it a rest already?

"Rose."

Everyone looked to Dimitri who finally spoke up. He gave her a stern look, which she met with a glare. Wow, these two have issues.

"Guardian Belikov will be training her here, seeing as how Lord Ozera will be staying at court, it fits out well. Your mother has offered to watch over Lord Ozera, while Dimitri trains." Hans stated looking as he was getting irritated. I looked to the side to see a short red head guardian step forward. Didn't need a genius to recognize that was Janine Hathaway.

"If it's a problem, I can just have another Guardian train me." I said, causing everyone to look in my direction.

"No. Your uncle made a request and I fully accept. I owe him much more, and I will do whatever I can for his family." Dimitri said obviously not wanting to hear my protest. I looked at Rose to see that she didn't like me very much, or probably just the fact that her lover has to play rough with someone else besides her. She seriously needs to take a break, I don't plan on stealing him away. My only plan, fulfill my promise and move on with my life. Easier said than done.

After another hour in that room, I was finally relieved when our little "meeting" was ajorned. I met all the other guardians in the room, each of them saying something special they remember about my uncle. It was nice to see what a great impact he had on their lives. Many of them said that they owe him a lot as well and if I needed anything to check them, which I gracefully declined. My uncle meant so much to me, and from the looks of it, he meant a lot to everyone else.

Before heading back to my room, I needed a quick smoke break. To be honest, I thought I was going to wait another week or so to start training, but boy was I wrong. My first session will be tonight before dinner. That meant, I must smoke all the fucken cigarettes I have. Luckily there was a small area outside my dorm, hidden from view. I lit one up and boy did it feel good. I felt a lot of stress being here. I took another puff as I continued to remind myself why I'm here. The conversation before I left home popped into my head.

"I'm so proud of you my Camilla." My mother said as I sat in my room. She can tell I dreaded leaving but I made up my mind. I looked up at my mother, a sad smile on my lips. I was really going to miss her and my younger siblings. My mother was one of the most beautiful and kind hearted woman I've ever met. Her love for her children meant more than anything, which is why I hated what they did to her. The thing is, we weren't exactly wealthy, so my mother did what she had to. Call it whoring, I call it brave. She sacrificed a lot for us, and everytime I wished she'd stop and find something better. Sadly wishing didn't put food on the table. Back when I attended St. Vlads, I did my best to come out on top. After I got a letter from my little sister Jessica about my mother being in the hospital, I packed my shit and headed home. Word got out to my uncle, but that was months later when he showed up. I wanted to kill the bastard that hurt my mom, but my uncle adviced me not too, seeing as how he'd hate to have his niece in jail for killing a Moroi. I remember his words clearly, "I'll handle it." That meant bad news to the unlucky bastard.
"Arthur would be proud of you as well." My mother said sitting on the bed next to me. I finally decided to fulfill my promise, now seeing that my family is safer now. We were now living with my mother and Uncle Arthur's sister, Katherine. Aunt Kat was amazing, and I don't see why we didn't move earlier. After Uncle's death, Aunt Katherine practically begged us to stay with her, not wanting family so far away.

"I promise to return soon and take care of you." I whispered to my mother, who just smiled and patted my head.

"You will do no such thing, you must make something of yourself. My dear, you have to live your own life. I've made my choices, and I wouldn't want you to waste yourself trying to fix them
I chose to raise my children, I don't regret it one bit. What I want is for you to make someone of yourself."

"You know, that's probably a lame "I'm kicking you out speech." I said causing my mother to giggle, before leaning down to kiss my forehead.

"I'm definitely going to miss your witty remarks." She said, making me smile.

"Ah, we meet again dear Camilla." A voice said dragging me out of my thoughts. After being so rudely interrupted from my day dream, I looked at the intruder.

"What do you want?" I asked angrily. This caught him off guard.

"Nothing really, just wanted a smoking partner, seeing as how we smoke about the same amount per day." He replied casually.

"Go find someone else."

"I take it you didn't have a good sessions with the Guardians?"

"Wha-how did you know about that? Hope your not the stalking type Ivashkov."

"Trust me, word gets around. Especially when your good friends with the Queen and her boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes, should have known.

"So I'm guessing now you know why I'm here." I spat, angry that this stranger knows my business after a couple hours of meeting him.

"Every detail. Don't worry, I'm not one to spread rumors. Besides everyone is so wrapped up with our new queen and returning heroes, no one is really going to bother you."

"Then why are you?"
Adrian laughed.

"Just trying to occupy my time." He replied.

I watched him cautiously. By now, my cigarette had burned out, and I wasn't fully satisfied with the amount of nicotine just yet. I sparked up a new one.

"Since you know my business, tell me your story."

Adrian lit up his own cigarette, and from the way we were smoking, you'd think there would be a chimney at the Guardian dorms.

"Not much to say, just broke up with a girl who I actually loved, after finding out she cheated on me with her long lost love."

Ouch.

"Dimitri is Mr. Long lost love eh?" I questioned with a grin.
Adrian eyed me before giving a slight nod. Well that explains why he looks like shit.

"Little Rosie isn't so perfect after all." I said, looking away from Adrian. If there was one thing I hated besides Moroi men, it was cheaters. Down right jerks. I used my peripheral to watch as Adrian puffed his cigarette, looking like crap and heartbroken. It almost made me feel bad for the guy.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'd find someone fast." I said at my lame attempt to make him feel better, this brought a smirk to his lips.

"Are you offering?" He asked leaning closer. I could smell the alcohol on his breath. Before I knew it, I reached up and grabbed his shirt with both hands and slammed him into the wall behind us.

"Don't ever assume that I would lower myself to the likes of you!" I said pissed off. How dare he! Sadly my gesture didn't wipe that smirk off his face. In fact, I think I just excited him.
Great.

"I wouldn't assume such a thing." He said casually, totally unfazed that I nearly broke his spine. Although he still held that look in his eyes. You know the one where a predator has found its prey? Yeah that one. And boy did I want to break that look right out of his eyes. Plus wasn't he just all vulnerable and heartbroken five seconds ago?

"That shit may work with Hathaway but it won't cut it with me." I said, my hands still gripping his shirt. The mention of her name, caused a small reaction with him, but it faded fast.

"Of course not dear Camilla." He whispered with a smile.

"Is everything okay here?" Someone asked next to us, causing both of us to look in their direction. So much for secret hiding spot.

"Everything is fine Belikov." Adrian said in a bitter tone. I can imagine how awkward this scene looked. After noticing where my hands were, I quickly released Adrian from my grasp and shoved him back to the wall.

"Are you okay Camilla?" Dimitri asked. I looked at him with a glare which he was expecting. Sorry but the whole cheater thing doesn't sit well with me, regardless if your some badass respected Guardian.

"I'm fine. What are you doing here?"

"I came to inform you that it's time for dinner."

"Thanks but I don't need someone to babysit me now. If your trying to repay my uncle, consider it over due." I spat all respect gone out the window. I walked away, back to my room to get ready for dinner. I didn't bother to see Dimitri with a shocked look while Adrian holding his smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't forget to comment and rate!!