Status: ongoing

Nine Kinds of Crazy

Dad

Dean was taken to doctor Carol before he even got desert. That was the best part of lunch and dinner so he sulked on the corner waiting for the doctor to come out. He knew he'd be here today even though it wasn't the normal day for individual therapy. With the new guy showing up his morning had been busy and he'd almost forgotten, but only almost.
"Come in now Dean," Dr. Carol said. He was an old man with a crown of gray hair and thick glasses. Dean dragged his feet and went in and sat on the couch. He liked the couch because the fabric was soft and the cushions were squishy. "I had Andy send this up for you," he added and handed Dean the chocolate pudding cup. Dean lit up and immediately took it. "So Dean, do you know what day it is today?" he asked and Dean nodded.
"Dad died today," he said and Dr. Carol nodded.
"Do you remember what happened?" he asked and Dean nodded again.
"After the car accident he died in the hospital. He gave himself to the demons for me to live," Dean said and Dr. Carol nodded and opened a file.
"John Winchester died four days after the crash after sustaining injuries that were irreparable. His organs began to shut down before going into cardiac arrest. He was unable to be resuscitated," Dr. Carol read.
"Azazel made his heart stop," Dean said.
"Dean Winchester slipped into a coma after repairing injuries he sustained in the crash. Seventy eight hours later he went into cardiac arrest and was revived a minute and a half later. A few hours later he woke up out of the coma," Dr. Carol read.
"See," Dean said. "He saved me."
"Doctors saved you Dean. Your car was hit by a semi-truck. It's a miracle that any of you survived."
"I was supposed to die though," he insisted.
"Sam talked about it in group therapy today Dean," he told him and Dean frowned. They didn't talk about dad with a bunch of people. "He talked about how he'd spend his time with him because you were in intensive care and in and out of surgery. Your dad couldn't get out of bed." Dean sat there shaking his head.
"It's alright Dean," Dr. Cartwright said. "I believe you," she said and Dean nodded.
"Do you agree Dean?" Dr. Carol asked. Dean shrugged.
"Who is the new guy?" he asked. Dr. Carol wrote something down. It was probably along the lines of avoiding the question.
"His name is Castiel Novak. He has been here for four months and I understand he is now your roommate," Dr. Carol said and Dean nodded.
"Why is he here?" he asked.
"We don't discuss others Dean. This is about you. Are you going to talk to your roommate?" Dean shrugged. "I think you should. You can't just talk to Sam." Dean shrugged again. "You are not the reason your father died Dean," Dr. Carol said and Dean tensed up. He was. He was the only reason his dad died and now he had to live with that fact forever. "He died from medical complications and-"
"NO!" Dean snapped. His body felt even tighter and it was hard to breathe. He wasn't lying. He felt tears burn his eyes and he buried his face in the pillow. "I want Sam," he sobbed.
"Alright Dean," Dr. Carol said and Dean peeked and watched him go to the door and get Andy. There was a lot of head shaking and then she left. Dean glared.
Sam arrived in minutes and sat next to Dean. He pulled Dean into his lap rubbing his back and holding him tight. "They won't believe me Sammy," he whispered.
"Shh Dean it's okay," Sam murmured. Dean clung to his brother.

Dean had been hoping crying was enough to get him out of group therapy, but Andy dragged him there and sat him on a plastic chair and warned him that if he got up he wouldn't get desert with dinner. It was a small price, but not one Dean was willing to pay. So he sat. Castiel was next to him and the others were filing in. Now there were ten people in the afternoon group and Anna ran the afternoon group. She was pretty but her story nauseated Dean. She over came her own mental disorder and it inspired her to become a therapist.
Everyone was inside and she started by asking if anyone wanted to share. Most of them were staring at Castiel. He stared at the ground trembling and Dean moved closer to him and crossed his arms.
"This is Castiel Novak," Anna said. "Our newest member, do you want to say something Castiel?" she asked and he shook his head. "Nothing?" she chided and he shook his head harder.
"Back off," Dean snapped and she turned her attention to him.
"Don't start Dean," she warned. He was frequently punished for acting out in group therapy or not cooperating. He felt a hand on his arm then and turned to look at Castiel wide eyed. His mouth was moving again but nothing was coming out.
And then he gagged and threw up. Chairs scraped across the floor and people cried out trying to get away, but Dean didn't move. He bent Castiel's head forward towards the ground so he wouldn't throw up on himself and held him there until his body stopped convulsing.
"Better?" Dean asked when he stopped and looked up at him. Andy and another nurse, Nick, were there watching. Dean turned back to Castiel. There wasn't as much fear in his blue eyes.
"Scared," he finally managed to get out and Dean nodded. "Thank you," he whispered.
"I thought you weren't going to help him," Dr. Cartwright said and Dean shrugged.
"I didn't mean to, but he needed it," Dean said and he watched confusion cross into Castiel's eyes. That's when the nurses took over. Castiel was taken out of group therapy and then, to Dean's dismay, it continued.
"Why did you do that Dean?" Anna asked. All eyes were on him so he looked at the ceiling and shrugged. "Do you want to talk about what today is Dean?" she asked. He tensed up.
"Don't sit like that Dean," a woman, Mara, next to him mimicked laughing and he tensed even more.
"Mara hush and Dean you know what happens if you do that," Anna said and he glared at Mara.
"I can shoot you," he hissed pointing his fingers like a gun. "Bang!" She shrieked. Anna jumped up to calm her and the doors opened again. Andy was back.
"Dean out," Andy snapped after Anna told her what happened. He was confined to his room until the morning. Not even Sam was allowed in and he lost desert and his own clothing privileges for the next three days. Andy was even on guard. Most patients didn't have special nurses, but Dean did. They tried to be discrete, but after awhile he caught on that Andy was mostly watching over him. He didn't like it and told her to go away.
"No Dean, now shut your door," she said for the hundredth time. He slammed his door and crawled onto his bed and wrapped his soft blanket around him. Bobby brought it last time he visited.
Dean got excited when the door opened again, but when he turned he saw nurses bringing Castiel back. He curled up into the fetal position on his bed and they left. "Be nice Dean," Andy said and he rolled his eyes. When the door was shut he stood up and crossed the room.
"Do you feel better now?" he asked. Castiel was shaking again. Dean went over to his dresser and pulled out a sweatshirt. "Sit up," he told Castiel and when he didn't move he pulled him up. Castiel resisted very little and Dean soon got the sweatshirt on him and then tucked him under the blankets. They were stupid thin blankets. He went to his door and opened it a crack.
"Dean ..." this time it was Melissa out there.
"Can I have another blanket? I'm cold," he said and she nodded. He already had two and his soft one because it was cold, but Castiel definitely needed more. She brought him another blanket and he shut his door. He tucked one of his extras and the one Melissa just brought around Castiel.
"Better?" he asked and blue eyes stared at him before he slowly nodded. "It gets cold in here at night."
"Cold is better then hell," Castiel murmured and Dean shrugged and got back into bed. He figured if he slept he wouldn't think about not seeing Sam. He considered sneaking out, but didn't want to get in more trouble. "Thank you Dean," he said from across the room.
"Mmm yeah night Cas," Dean mumbled as he cleared his mind and tried to fall asleep.