Dormir.

to sleep

Loneliness seeps in, consuming and clinging to her. It's been a while since she's seen anyone or spoken a word. A part of her believes that she can't physically move; she's so numb that nothing works any more. Her life has been shattered into so many pieces that she can't piece it together.

Someone knocks on her door but it goes unheard. She's in a restless slumber that drags her down rather than makes her feel better. But, it feels better for her. She's no longer awake and feeling. Nothing can get her when she sleeps which makes it something that she enjoys, though it takes its toll when she awakes. She doesn't realise nor does she care because nothing seems right any more so why should she care?

"Rosie?" a voice calls softly. It doesn't receive an answer but the person doesn't expect one. "Rosie, dear, it's no good for you to stay in this room all day."

The girl breathes slowly, each breath feels like a sharp pain in her chest. She opens her mouth slightly, her lips parting from one another slowly. "It hurts," she whispers. A hand gently brushes her hair from her forehead.

"I know, ma chérie," the voice comforts. The girl closes her eyes against the tears that threaten to fall at the woman's words. Her mouth closes and she tries to curl into herself more than she already is. "But you can't spend all your time asleep. It'll just make it worse."

She knows that the woman is right but she just can't find anything within herself to listen to what she's saying. It's too early. "Sometimes it feels like they're just asleep, that this is just a dream," she says so quietly that the woman almost doesn't hear her. "So I try to join them, even if it's just for a minute," she trails off softly and her voice wavers, "but it doesn't work. And it hurts so much." Tears trail down her face after breaking the barriers the girl tries to keep.

The woman smiles sadly before she brushes the girl's hair one last time and turns away. She stops in the doorway to look back. A feeling sweeps over her and she knows that the girl won't get over this, no matter the time that passes. But honestly, she doesn't expect anything different.