Every Little Thing

In Our Defense

Afternoon detention was always fun. Mind you, I'd only had it about 4 times; all of which because of my uniform. This was the first time it was actually because I was in shit. I was excited; how stupid am I? Ms. Platt had told me to bring something to keep me busy for the 40 minute detention period.

"Do you have something to keep you busy?"

I stood in the queue at the door way while Ms. Platt grilled all the other detainees. When she got to me, I waved my music song book in front of her face and she waved me in. She put her hand on the opposite door frame blocking Kevin’s entrance from the class room.

"Aw, come on miss let me in!" Kevin whined like a little girl.

Ms. Platt lowered her arm and Kevin quickly ducked around her small
frame into the classroom and sat on the opposite side of the room to
me.

"Okay, just sit quietly, keep to your business and stay busy," Ms. Platt instructed. "You'll be told when you're able to leave."

I opened my music song book and picked up my pencil. Staring down at my page, I knew I wanted to at least try to write something. Ever since Katie told me I had a somewhat decent singing voice, I had been somewhat inspired to write something of my own. I pulled my hair into a ponytail with a hair tie form my wrist. I scratched the title of my song on to the paper of my book.

Untitled

I thought it was genius. I laughed to myself at my joke and cleared my
throat to cover it. I have a title, even though it’s not much of a title. Hopefully, something else will come to me. Now, first verse.

Untitled

Colours dancing through my mind,
Open eyes to try and find.
All the beauty of your face,
But I cannot find a trace.
Because, the truth is seeping through,
And I’m finding the real you.
There’s only ugliness within
And my patience is wearing thin.


I reread the first verse. Maybe this wasn’t going to be so hard after all. Now, the chorus.

Time will tell if we are meant to be,
And whether or not we will.
Time will tell if this is meant for us,
If this love will fulfill.
Truth be told, I don’t know
If we will last forever,
And I don’t know, if I’m strong enough,
For this endeavour.
All I know, is that I love you so,
And you’re everything to me
But only time will tell if
We’re truly meant to be.

Being with you is so hard,
I live behind my solid guard.
The thick brick wall between us now,
Closer bonds it disallows.
Crying eyes you so ignore,
Now our bond we can’t restore.
You broke my soul, my mind, my heart,
Now we’re right back to the start.

Time will tell if we are meant to be,
And whether or not we will.
Time will tell if this is meant for us,
If this love will fulfill.
Truth be told, I don’t know
If we will last forever,
And I don’t know, if I’m strong enough,
For this endeavour.
All I know, is that I love you so,
And you’re everything to me
But only time will tell if
We’re truly meant to be.


I tapped my pencil on my book impatiently. I couldn’t finish it. I couldn’t write the bridge. The tears in my eyes were stinging. I wiped them furiously. Why couldn’t I finish the damn thing? I sighed and looked at the clock above the black board. 3:05pm. I had 5 minutes left of detention. With another sigh I shoved my song book back in my bag and the pencil behind my ear.

“Okay guys,” Ms. Platt instructed. “You can go now.”

Kevin jumped up as soon as “go” left her mouth. I stood up slowly, putting my bag over my shoulder.

“What were you working on?” Ms. Platt asked me. “You seemed enthralled in it.”

I blushed. “Just something for music.”

I quickly walked out the classroom and out of the building. I saw Katie’s car in the school parking lot.

“Come on slow poke!” I heard her yell out to me.

“What are you still doing here?” I answered, completely confused.

“I’m your ride dummy! Now get in!”

I wasn't going to say no to that.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song belongs to me. I wrote it for this story. Please comment this chapter and the song. id love your feedback.