‹ Prequel: Just One Cup
Status: Completed!

My Own Glory

Help

Danni rushed home from her appointment with a spring in her step. She had such good news and couldn't wait to share it with Sidney. At home, her sons, goddaughter, and Jeremy crowded the table with their homework, a strategy Danni forced since Maddi was younger.

"Mommy's home!" Owen announced, jumping from his spot where he was coloring.

"There's my big boy." She said lifting her son in her arms and kissing the top of his dark curly head, just like his fathers, "Jeremy, good to see you again."

The high school captain had made a place for himself in the Crosby home in just a matter of days, "Hey Mrs. C, how was your day?"

Danni smiled, "It was good."

"Mom, what's for dinner?" Liam asks.

"Your father feels like grilling for some reason."

"It's probably steak since its an oddly nice day out for February." Maddi commented.

"Dad loves his steak." Liam nodded at Aidens statement.

Danni set her son down, excusing herself to change out of her work clothes and into something less...tight.

Standing in front of the mirror, Danni smiled. Her loose shirt hiding it but she could see it. She saw it two times before. It was going to happen again and all she wanted to do was dance for joy. She lifted her shirt and saw the hint of a stretch. A two month stretch. Her hand rubbed her stomach.

"Please tell me that is what I think it is." Danni heard Sidney say. He was standing by the closed door, a hurried and hopeful look on his face. Danni smiled, tears welling in her eyes as she nodded.

"The doctor said everything was good and there's only one." She added with a tease. Sidney was by her side in an instant, his giant hand caressing his soon to be child.

"Did you tell them about the gender?"

"Dr. McGuire knows not to say anything."

"Good. Danni, this is amazing," Sidney kisses his wife, "Does anyone else know?"

"Nope."

"I've got to call mom." He said pulling out his phone and dialing Trina's number.

Danni returned downstairs, her sons missing from the table but the books remained for her to check, "How was school?" She asked her goddaughter.

"Same ole, same ole."

"Any tests?"

"Tomorrow. Jeremy's helping me study."

"Good. I guess that means you're staying for dinner?"

Jeremy smiled shyly, "If you don't mind."

"As long as your parents don't mind. I don't want them to think we're kidnapping you...Liam!"

"Yeah mom?"

"You need to redo this math problem!" Stomping up the stairs followed and Liam slumped in his chair, "This isn't right, try it again."

"I don't like fractions."

"They're not that bad. Here, let me show you." Jeremy offered his assistance showing Liam the easiest way to conquere his math problems.

Danni went into the kitchen to start putting together the side dishes to go along with dinner. Maddi came in with her, taking a seat at the island, "Jeremy's a nice kid."

"Yeah, he's really smart too. He's the reason I passed calc last year."

"He's good looking too."

Maddi groaned, "Please Aunt Danni, don't do this."

"I'm not doing anything," she said holding her hands up, "I was just stating he's a handsome young man."

"Aw thanks babe." Sidney said walking into the kitchen and kissing Danni.

"No problem hun."

"I'm gonna go start grilling. Where's Jeremy?"

"Helping Liam with homework." Danni answered.

"Why don't you send him out back when he's done. We can have some guy bonding time." Maddi's eyes widened at the thought. Sidney just smiled as he went outside to get started.

"Are you two trying to kill me?" Maddi stressed, her aunt just chuckling.

Jeremy joined the girls in the kitchen once Liam completed his math homework correctly. He took a seat beside Maddi at the counter, giving her a chance to take in Jeremy's appearance...for the 100th time that day. His jeans tight against the same legs Maddi had seen with and without some kind of material blocking her view. He had a green plaid button down shirt on, the sleeves rolled to his elbows. He was just one pair of cowboy boots away from a dirty romance novel. It wasn't uncommon for Maddi, or any girl in school, to check the hockey captain out. He was most certainly the best looking guy in school and came with the whole package; hot, smart, athletic, a true gentleman.

"Jeremy, why don't you help Sidney grill? Bring these with you." Danni said handing him a plate with different potatoes on it. Jeremy smiled and went to find Sidney.

"You are trying to kill me!"

---

"Hey Mr. C, Mrs. C said you wanted some help."

"Of course, come on out," Jeremy closed the sliding door and handed Sidney the plate, "So how's school going?"

"It's good."

"And hockey?"

"Great. We're number one right now. Hopefully we can keep it up for playoffs."

"You've got good lines and a strong goalie," Jeremy looked slightly shocked. He hadn't known Sidney attended the games seeing as most of their games landed on the same night as the Pens. "Maddi let's me sit in when she watches the game." Sidney explained.

"Explains how she remembers everything. She has a good eye."

"You should see her when I watch the Pens tapes. She's already been offered a coaching job." Jeremy laughed, "You're a good player. Maddi has nothing bad to say when we review your tapes. Have you sent those to colleges?"

"Um no, I was just going to try out."

"You should get a video together. You never know who might see it."

"I'll look into it, Mr. C. Thanks." Jeremy was about to head back inside when Sidney stopped him.

"Jeremy, if you're interested, Maddi usually joins in on our practices. If you'd like, Saturday's the next day. You can get a NHL coach's opinion. And it'll get you a look on the inside."

"Oh my...wow Mr. C that would be awesome."

"You're a good player, Jeremy. I think you've got a future as a professional. And you're Maddi's friend. And Maddi's like a daughter to me, I love her and want what's best for her." Sidney said, crossing his arms over his chest. The slight fear in Jeremy's eyes was enough to tell Sidney he was doing his job.

"Of course Mr. C."

"Why don't you go back inside? I think I can handle it from here." Jeremy nodded and opened the slider just as Danni was coming out.

"How's it going out here?" Jeremy smiled but continued going inside.

"Just guy talk." Sidney answered with a smirk, wrapping a firm arm around his wife's waist and a hand gently placed on her stomach.

"What did your mom say?"

"She's ecstatic. And frustrated because she wants to know the gender. She wants a granddaughter."

"She's not the only one."

"I have a good feeling this one will be a girl. It has to be." Sidney twirled Danni to face him, both hands feeling the little baby bump.

"Oh my god." Both looked up to see Maddi at the doorway, a giant smile on her face, "I've seen that before. You're pregnant, aren't you?" Sidney and Danni look at each other with the same love in there eyes that Maddi has seen many times before. "I didn't know you guys were trying to get pregnant again?"

"We wanted to wait a couple years after Owen before we tried again."

"Trying for a girl now?" Danni nodded. "Good, this house has too much man in it," Maddi hugged her aunt and uncle telling them how happy she was for them.

"The boys don't know yet. We were going to tell them tomorrow."

"My lips are sealed." Maddi promised going back indoors.

The family gathered around the table for their grilled steak, all of them enjoying each others company. Jeremy joining the Crosby family for dinner felt like a routine even after a week, "If you come Saturday, why don't you invite your family for dinner." Sidney suggested to the young hockey player, throwing Maddi off guard.

"Saturday? What's going on Saturday?"

"Mr. C asked if I wanted to come to practice Saturday." Maddi turned to her uncle.

"He's coming to the Pens practice?"

"Yeah, is that okay?"

"Oh...yeah, no that's fine."

"I thought having Jeremy join might be nice for him." Sidney explained.

"No thats cool. I won't be the only one under the age of 20."

Saturday would certainly be interesting for Maddi seeing as the last time the team met Jeremy he didn't know anything. Now that he does and that he's been coming over to the house ever since, Maddi wouldn't doubt Sidney's gossiping in the locker room. That frightened Maddi a little. The team was literally a team of uncles that loved their niece. Though some have come and gone over the years, it didn't mean that she lost touch with them. Or that Sidney didn't talk to them.

Since Max left for Philly, Danni had been emailing him updates on Maddi; about her team, about school, about the Pens. Now she would have something interesting to tell him. You would think after getting married and having his own kids, Max would be focused solely on them.

But it was like that with all the older guys Maddi grew up with. Some had found girlfriends who eventually turned into wives(after the approval of their favorite girl Maddi) and they began creating their owns spawns. But their love and adoration of little Madison Johnson never changed. No matter where a guy was they would mail her a Christmas/birthday present every year. Maddi loved each one of them but come Saturday, she wouldn't be surprised if the feelings would start to turn sour.

Jeremy decided to head home early. The team had a big game tomorrow and having the coach as your father made things more strict. Jeremy's dad was a very nice man but hockey comes first, a trait Maddi could relate to, too.

"Are you okay with me coming to practice? If you don't want me--"

"No it's cool I just wasn't expecting it. It should be fun and you'll get help from Dan and the guys. They're very helpful, just don't listen to them unless it has something to do with hockey." Maddi warned though she couldn't stress how true it was.

"I'm really excited. But I haven't told my folks about you're little secret yet. And if I tell my dad 'hey I'm practicing with the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday' he might ask a few questions."

"Don't worry about it. Just bring your dad to practice with you. Aunt Danni will be there and he knows her so she can kinda explain I guess. I'm sure it won't be a big deal."

Jeremy smiled, "Okay, good. Then I'll see you tomorrow. Want me to pick you up?"

"Sure if you'd like."

"Then see you in the morning." Jeremy stepped up to Maddi, leaning into kiss her cheek before getting in his truck. Maddi waved him goodbye then went inside.

"Hey make sure you get tomorrows tape so we can watch it before practice Saturday. You know Dan's gonna want to know what he wants you to focus on." Sidney said as Maddi sat next to him on the couch. Maddi nodded, oddly quiet now that Jeremy has left, "Everything alright?"

"What? Oh yeah I'm fine. Just thinking."

"You're not upset I invited Jeremy to practice, are you? I just thought maybe he'd like a little help."

"That and to sick the guys on him."

Sidney smirked, "I don't know what you're talking about." Maddi rolled her eyes.

"Of course not Uncle Sid."

"Just looking out for my girl." Maddi patted Sidney's head, getting up and heading downstairs to the hockey room to practice for tomorrows game.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm changing the POV to third person. I don't want to lose the Danni/Sidney story and I can do a little bit more with it. Hopefully this chapter was better than the others.

Should be getting interesting.

Thanks for reading! Comments are appreciated.

With love, <3