‹ Prequel: Just One Cup
Status: Completed!

My Own Glory

Epilogue

The summer seemed to fly for Maddi as she waited to start college. Big events took place in the short months. By June, Jeremy signed with the San Jose Sharks, but opted to attend college before heading to a professional level. He had sat down with Sidney and his father to really discuss the options he had. Seeing as Sidney started at the pro’s by 18, seeing how successful he was, playing right in the pros wasn’t a terrible choice. But Jeremy felt with a college degree he could have a backup plan just in case. Maddi personally agreed with him, but worried what college would be like, seeing as Jeremy talked her into testing a long distance relationship out. He didn’t want to lose her again. No puck bunny from Niagara could convince him.
But until then, Jeremy never left Maddi’s side. They even convinced their parents to let him go to Canada with her and the Crosby clan. They had spent many nights by the lake where Sidney’s house resided. They strolled the town and take in the sites hand-in-hand.
August was certainly interesting. Danni had planned a big birthday party for Sidney, inviting friends and family. But the night before the newest Crosby decided to change that.

---

Sidney rushed through the house gathering the boys and waking Maddi and Jeremy, “What’s going on Sid?”

“Danni’s in labor.” When Maddi saw Danni she looked a lot more in pain then when she had the previous births. Both were calmer, but today, something wasn’t right.

By the time they got to the hospital, Sidney called his parents and Maddi sent out a mass text to Danni’s folks and some of the team members that were in town.

Danni was escorted into a private room with Sidney not far behind. Jeremy and Maddi watched the boys in the waiting room, the three cuddled together on one couch. Jeremy stroked Maddi’s hand in comfort but the thought that something seemed wrong couldn’t escape her mind.

Everyone Maddi contacted arrived at the hospital a half hour later. They all saw the concern on Maddi’s face. Sidney came out looking around the room till he spotted Maddi, “Come with me.” She followed hastily and stood on the other side of the bed. She took hold of Danni’s hand. She looked sick, pale and exhausted, her hair sticking to her sweaty face, “Maddi, sweetheart, Sidney and I want you,” She cringed in pain, “We want you to be the baby’s godmother and we want, “ Cringe “you to here, just like I was there for you.”

“Okay Danni, you’re gonna need to push.” She nodded and did as the doctor said. She was tired and weak.

“Come on baby, you can do it.” Sidney cheered. He looked on the verge of crying once tears fell from Danni’s eyes.

“I can see the head. You’re doing great, Danni. Just one big push…”The doctor was drowned out by an ear piercing scream coming from Danni that could have woken the whole hospital. Danni squeezed Maddi and Sidney’s hand as hard as she pushed. Their eyes were on the crying baby in the doctor’s arms, “It’s a girl. Time of birth 3:47am, August 8, 2025.” The doctor announced.

“Did you hear that, Danni? A girl! We have a baby girl!” Sidney couldn’t take his eyes off his daughter. Maddi looked over at Danni, her smile fading fast when she saw her aunt’s eyes closed and her body limp, “Aunt Danni?”

Immediately everyone’s attention turned to the mother, “Get them out of here!”

“Aunt Danni!” Maddi yelled as the nurses pushed she and her uncle out of the room.

From the waiting from, the waiting room, family and friends could hear the scream and see as Sidney and Maddi were pushed out of the room. It didn’t take a second for them to surround the two, asking what happened.

The two stood still, taking everything in then turned to each other. Maddi burst into tears against Sidney’s chest as she shook his head in disbelief, “Sidney, what happened?” Trina asked, touching her sons shoulder.

“Danni…the baby…she wasn’t breathing.”

“The baby?”

He shook his head, “Danni.” Everyone gasped. A nurse had approached asking them to return to the waiting room. Sidney wanted nothing more than to storm back in that room to see his wife, but his team led him away. Troy and Trina comforted their son, while Maddi cried into Jeremy’s shoulder, “I can’t lose her, Jeremy. I can’t lose my aunt.”

“She’ll be alright Maddi. Don’t worry. Nothing is going to happen to her.” He couldn’t promise her that, but it didn’t stop him from praying to Maddi’s mother to protect Danni. Jeremy couldn’t bear to see Maddi lose the only connection to her mother.

It felt like house when the doctor finally walked out. He didn’t look as distraut as the family waiting for the results, which could only mean good news, “Mr. Crosby?” Sidney stood up, walking up to the doctor, “She’s fine. Stable. She lost a lot of blood which happens. She became weak but is fine. She’s certainly strong.”

“Can we see her?”

“She’s resting now. But I’m sure there’s someone else that wants to meet you.”

Over the doctor’s shoulder, a nurse approached with a pink bundle. Sidney accepted the baby from the small nurse. The child was sleeping. Her head was bald compared to the Crosby boy’s curly hair at birth. She was going to look just like Danni. Sidney declared one thing, Now I really need to put bars on the windows.

“She’s beautiful Sidney.” Danni’s mother cooed.

“Just like her mother.” Added Trina.

“Can we see?” Aiden asked, his brothers waiting to see their baby sister. Sidney knelled to equal height as his sons, “She doesn’t look anything like mom.” Liam stated, not seeing the resemblance.

“Yeah she does, she doesn’t have a big nose like dad.” Aiden argued.

“What’s her name?” Little Owen asked. Sidney looked up at everyone as they waited for the name.

He shrugged, “Danni picked out the names.”

“That’s alright Sid. Why don’t you go check on Danni? We’ll take the boys home.” His parents offered, taking a grandson by the hand, “Happy Birthday Sid.”

His friends and family bid him farewell and a happy birthday before returning to their respected accommodations. Jeremy and Maddi remained at the hospital, sitting with Sidney in Danni’s room. A nurse had come to bring a small bed for the baby. While she slept, Sidney stayed by Danni’s side, holding her hand with both of his. Maddi and Jeremy stayed by the window collected on the couch provided in the single room. Maddi tried to stay awake long enough to see Danni wake up but with Jeremy gently rubbing her should, she felt herself drift.

---

Danni was the first to wake. She blinked the sleepiness from her eyes and took in her surroundings. She couldn’t remember what had happened once she had the baby.

She blacked out.

A buzzing sound to her right brought her attention to her sleeping husband. He placed his phone on the side table and it was going off like crazy. She reached for it, opening it up and seeing a lot of messages wishing him a happy birthday. There were voicemails and emails to add to the mix. She noticed a text message from her mother, asking if Danni was alright. This only deepened the question of what happened.

Across the room, a nurse walked in. She was startled to see Danni awake, “Good Morning Mrs. Crosby. How are you feeling?”

“Confused. I’m not sure what happened.”

“After you gave birth, you lost a lot of blood and passed out. No worries, the doctor took good care of you.”

“And the baby?”

“Healthy baby girl.”

Danni smiled, “A girl?”

“Yes, she’s right here if you’d like to see her.” The nurse leaned over the cradle and picked up a bundle of pink, walking it over to Danni. She opened her arms and accepted the child who was just awakening, “She’s beautiful, Mrs. Crosby.”

Danni felt tears trickle her eyes. This was her baby girl, her daughter, “Thank God she has my nose.” She joked, “You’re such a beautiful girl. Your father is gonna go crazy when you’re older. But no worries, I’m sure your big brothers will take good care of you. You’ll have to live with Maddi if you want to date.”

“She doesn’t have a name yet.” The nurse informed Danni.

“Oh no, you don’t have a name? Your father must have forgotten the names we talked about. What shall we call you? How about…Cindy?” The baby squirmed, “No? I don’t think your father would like that either.”

“No, no he wouldn’t.” Sidney had woken up to the melodic voice of his wife talking to their daughter. He didn’t want to interrupt mother-daughter time that was until she mentioned the name Cindy. Neither he nor the baby would hear the end of it. This is why he spoke up.

Sidney got up from his chair and sat beside his wife and daughter on the bed.

“Do you have a better option?”

“Avery…Avery Addison.” Danni rolled the name in her head. She was certain she wanted to her use friends name.

“I love it. How about you Avery?” The baby didn’t wiggle at the name, giving her parents the answer, “That’s it then.”

To say the Crosby family was happy with their new addition was an understatement. The world welcomed the Crosby girl with adoration and love. Sidney paraded his beautiful daughter everywhere. His smile couldn’t get bigger when people would complement his baby. Even when he was training on the ice he’d carry her around carefully as he glided gracefully.

At some point Danni had to put her foot down with all this, “She’s my daughter too!” She argued. Even Madison had to schedule time with her uncle just to spend time with her goddaughter. She and Jeremy would sit together with Avery when they could. As some would think, Maddi wasn’t jealous of the attention that the child got. She felt nothing but pride and happiness being godmother to her own godmother’s daughter. She knew that Danni would have a girl at some point and she would be the biggest Daddy’s girl. She had that title for many years and it was enough for her. Maddi was going to be off on her own at school and knew no matter what she did Sidney and Danni will love her like a daughter.

“Okay that’s enough.” Sidney said coming out of nowhere scooping Avery from Maddi’s arms.

“Hey!”

“I don’t want the image of you and a baby in my head. Come on Avery, daddy needs a nap.” He said strolling upstairs.

“He’s crazy.” Jeremy nodded and kissed his girlfriend.

---

It was only a few more weeks till Maddi was packing up her things and driving to Notre Dame. Saying goodbye to her friends and family was hard but when she had to say goodbye to Jeremy, she could hold back the tears, “I’ll be alright Maddi.”

“I know I’m just scared I’ll lose you.”

“You won’t. You never will. We’ll make this work. I promise.” The couple had come to the decision of making it work for the next four years. They trusted each other; it was everyone else they didn’t. Maddi feared he’d find someone prettier and more feminine than her. People will know the Sharks signed him and will use him for that. He told her not to worry about it, that he loved her and no one else, “I loved you for years. No one can change that, especially a puck slut.” She kissed him, holding him close, “I have something for you.” He pulled something from his pocket and held it out. Maddi’s eyes widened seeing the small velvet box, “Don’t worry, it’s not what you think,” He opened it and inside was a beautiful gold band. Very simple, very elegant, “It’s a promise ring. I promise you that I’ll love you no matter what, that I’ll always be faithful to you and only you.” He took the ring out and placed it on her left ring finger.

“Jeremy this is beautiful.” She hugged him tightly, starring at the band. He vowed to be hers and she was always going to be his. This was a promise she was going to keep, and nothing will get in her way.

---

“What made you decide to retire? Especially after such amazing seasons with the Sabres.” The reporter asked.

“We both wanted to start a family at some point and it was a sacrifice I was willing to make to start a new dream.” Maddi answered. Jeremy squeezed her hand beside her.

“Will it be hard seeing your husband still playing while you sit on the sidelines?”

“I think it will because I’ve played my whole life, but I’ll always cheer for him and one day we’ll have children that will play as well. I’ll be a hockey mom.” She answered with a smile.

“Well we wish you nothing but the best.”

Once the interview concluded, Maddi and Jeremy joined her aunt and uncle, “How was that?” She asked.

“Perfect. We’re so proud of you Maddi. Both of you.” Danni said, kissing the couples cheeks, “You two have such a beautiful story.”

And everyone was interested in it. The Couple on the Buffalo Sabres. It rocked the hockey world when news broke out that the pair were not only on the same team but a couple.

Madison and Jeremy had stayed together through the four long years of schooling. Both had been successful on their teams and instantly caught the attention of the scouts. San Jose was excited to have Jeremy come up and play on the team.

But when Maddi was spotted by the Sabres her senior year, she couldn’t turn it down. Though she spent some years in Rochester before finally getting pulled up, she made a difference for the Buffalo team. She gained respect by the players on the team, around the league, already having her name out there from being related to Sidney Crosby, but they respected her playing technique. She had created her own glory.

Jeremy had made a name for himself with San Jose. He’d been down on their farm team for almost a year until an injury brought him up. Since then, he’d been playing professional a few more years than Maddi.

The year Maddi stayed up with the Sabre’s the full year; Jeremy had been traded to Buffalo, reuniting the couple that was still going strong.

Both had been extremely successful in the several years playing for the team until they decided to marry, settle down and start a family. It was a tough decision for Maddi, to give up something she loved but after a long talk with her aunt, and now retired uncle, it was truly what she wanted.

The couple married in the fall, their honeymoon postponed until the summer, and a baby on the way not far behind.

As Madison looked back at her life, she couldn’t be more thankful for where she was today. And it was all because of Aunt Danni. The love and care that Danni had given her was exactly how she wanted to be with her own children. She had plenty of practice with the growing Crosby children.

When Sidney walked into her life, she finally had the father figure she always wanted, with the added benefits of course. He had loved her like his own from the start and even after the incident with her real father all those years back, Sidney was always there.

Now she had a loving husband just like she dreamed. After growing up with the way Sidney treated Danni, she couldn’t help but smile as Jeremy was the exact same way. This was the man she wanted to be with for the rest of her life. Her high school sweetheart. Always romantic.

“You alright, babe?” Jeremy’s voice pulled her from her thoughts. Her family had already left and should be waiting for them in the parking lot.

“Yeah, I’m perfect.” She smiled at him, pecking his lips, and allowing him to take her hand and continue with the life she loved.