Status: C O M P L E T E !

We Lit Up Like Fireworks

Sparkle

"You look beautiful," I said truthfully, looking Nikki up and down as she twirled in front of me, her sparkling black dress swishing around her slender legs as she raised her arms to inspect the hem of her shorty cropped gown. She pursed her lips in contemplation, tugging at the baby-pink satin bow adorning her hips, before pulling up the heart-shaped bodice, slipping her tiny size-6 feet into a pair of black peep-toe pumps. Nikki was beautiful, the picture of a goddess with her lengthy auburn locks and light green cats eyes. Miles looked a lot like her; she was his mother, after all.

"Do you think Vic will like it?" she asked, fiddling with her fringe, before turning to me, a smile on her face as she saw my definite nod. She then bent down- how she did it teetering on such monstrous heels was beyond me- and spread her arms out wide. "Come here baby-boo. Give mummy a hug before she goes." Miles detached himself from around my legs, running into Nikki's outstretched arms, hugging her around the waist, his short arms barely lining her circumference. Nikki laughed, kissing Miles' forehead, before looking at me.

"Okay. No violent movies when he's awake, no football in the house, no crude language, no rude gestures, no-"

"I know, I know, Nikki. Jesus, what kind of father do you think I am?" I huffed, giving her a slightly exasperated look as she opened her glossed mouth in a swift reply.

"A bad one," she dead panned, but smiled a blink after to show she was only pulling my leg, harshly, might I add, but she was only joking. "Now Miles, give mummy a kiss."

"Yucky! I don't wanna! Mummy tastes sour," Miles groaned, sticking at his tongue as he tasted a small bite of Nikki's foundation she had applied to her face, and I laughed as Miles ran back to me. I swooped him up into my arms before cradling him against my side, Nikki huffing. The doorbell then rang, Miles chirping as Nikki gave me a look, before opening the door. Vic walked in, kissing her cheek lovingly as she squealed, jumping up and down as a bouquet of sweet smelling roses nearly stabbed her in the eyes. Vic's eyes met mine and he nodded, draping his arm around Nikki's shoulders as she giggled at something he whispered in her ear, and I felt myself grow cold watching the completely whipped couple exchange flirty comments at each other in the front area of my house.

Vic and Nikki met two years after Miles was born, and they had hit it off straight away. Vic was a good guy, and I, for once, didn't mind him wooing Nikki, who was my best friend. Vic knew about Miles, our son, but welcomed him with open arms. Like I said, he was a good guy, someone good enough for Nikki.

"Oh, Jay," Nikki said, before she and Vic made their way to his car.

"I know already," I sighed, and she shook her head, checking the time on the chunky watch adorning Vic's large wrist.

"No, no. The baby sitter will be here in a few minutes. Bye!" Before I could clarify anything she had said, she had disappeared down the drive, hurtling away in Vic's car as I just stared at their fumes of dust and exhaust in confusion. Baby sitter? God dammit. It was going to be that preppy girl again, the one who almost choked Miles to death when he refused to eat his peas. And Miles was allergic to peas, for fuck's sake! She was probably too busy texting that boyfriend of hers when Nikki was explaining to her Miles' health issues and tendencies.

"Daddy, is that scary lady coming back?" Miles asked, as I locked the door, his chubby arms wrapping themselves around my neck, his eyes wide in fear as he remembered every little detail about his feats battling the crazy babysitter from hell, and I nodded sadly, hugging Miles to me as I walked us back to the living room, where Sesame Street was playing on the flat screen TV. "Daddy, she's scary!" Miles continued, clutching to me. "I don't like her. She broke Toot. Now he has no foot."

"Don't worry. Daddy's not leaving. Mummy just didn't want us two big, strong men to be alone. You know how funny mummy is," I said, tickling his side as he giggled, nodding. "And besides, later we ca-"

Ding.

Miles and I looked at each other, expressions of impending doom on our faces, and I kissed his forehead, telling him to stay here while I got the door, probably letting in the most vile teenage babysitter on the planet into my humble abode. I ran my fingers through my hair as I padded over to the door, frowning as I jerked down the handle.

"Sorry, we don't need a baby sitter tonight. I can give you ten bucks, but you can just go home," I said tiredly, and the woman didn't say anything, just stayed silent, which was a first. Usually she would have burst in already, her nail-lacquered hands rummaging through the contents of our fridge for whatever left overs we had stashed away.

"Um, okay then," she said, and that was when I realised that it wasn't the witch from the pits of Hell, but a boy, who looked to be no older than eighteen. He stared up at me in slightly annoyed confusion, his coat wrapped around him as he crossed his arms over his lean chest, his pink lips slightly parted as his eyes, an odd brown-orange shade, bordering on a chocolate tined with gold.

"Who are you? I didn't order pizza..." I said, and his lips quirked up into a small smile, his shoulders shrugging.

"I was told to come here to baby sit... my, um, girlfriend couldn't make it and I owed her something, so I'm here in her place. I'll just go home if you don't need me," he said, his voice echoing in the back of my head, the softest, most melodic tone my ears had ever heard. It wasn't gruff or husky, but so smooth my ears couldn't pick an imperfection in the rich noise that left his mouth. His tongue slipped across his lips, passing over a set of silver snake bites that glinted under the porch lighting. His mouth had a glossy sheen over them, and I felt myself subconsciously lick my own lips.

"Um... I..." I started, but couldn't form proper words, my eyes staring at him shamelessly.

Let him in. Let him in. Let him in, my voice chanted, and I mentally face palmed myself.

The boy looked at me expectantly, his eyes willing me to either shun him or accept him.

"Um... do you know how to sew?" I asked, and he raised a brow, the smile playing on his lips widening, his eyes sparkling, making my heart skip a beat or two.

"A little. Why?"

"Your girlfriend ripped off the foot of my son's bear," I said, and the boy then burst out laughing, doubling over before grinning at me, stepping inside the warmth of my house, taking off his coat.

"I think I can sew a foot on. Hopefully."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a new, short slash for a contest :]
This story isn't going to be a long one, no more than, say, five or six chapters I think. Just something fun for the contest.
Comment? Subscribe?