Status: One shot :)

To Have And To Hold

1/1

Alex leant against the bay window of the manor hotel, gazing out into the acres of gardens beyond it. This was the day, the day they had been planning for months. He was getting married today.

“Alex, come here and let me look over you one last time.” A soft voice called from behind him, and he turned to see his mother smiling warmly at him, gesturing him towards her with her hands. He moved towards her quickly, letting her adjust his tie for the millionth time today.

“You look so handsome, I can't believe today is finally here.” She said tearfully, and Alex smiled fondly, brushing her tears away.

“Mom, you act like I'm going away. I'm not, I'm just getting married to Jack. I'll still be around.”

“I know, but it's not the same. I'm giving away my little boy, my Alexander.”

“She's right, son,” Alex's dad said from his place in the corner of the room, “I'm so proud of you, Jack's a wonderful man.”

Alex grinned at the thought of his fiancé, “I know.”

Across the hall, Jack was pacing his room, trying to sort out his tie which was just not going right. He wanted to look good for Alex, but his tie really didn't want to behave.

“Son, let me do it.” His dad said, moving in front of the tall man, quickly redoing his tie to make it look decent.

Jack wiped a hand over his face, “I'm sorry, I'm just so nervous.”

“That's normal, Jacky,” His mother smiled, coming to stand next to her husband and son, “You're about to do one of the scariest and amazing things in your life.”

“Gee, thanks for making me feel better, Mom.” Jack teased, smiling lightly. Her words were true; today was definitely the scariest yet most amazing day of his life, and it was only going to get better. He would finally be able to call Alex officially his. And that thought made him happier than anything.

”Where are you taking me, Jack?” Alex giggled, trying to peek out of the blindfold covering his eyes.

“Ssh, we'll be there in a minute.” Jack replied, gripping Alex's hand just a little bit tighter to stop the older man from falling, because God knows he was the clumsiest person Jack knew – besides him, of course.

“Are you taking me into the woods to rape and kill me?” Alex teased, smelling the scent of pine and damp dirt around him.

Jack laughed, “It's not rape if you're willing.”

“Oh, so you are going to rape me?”

Jack laughed at his boyfriend's silliness, but it was slightly forced, he was so nervous. What was about to happen would be make or break, it could only end either amazingly or terribly.

They soon arrived at the clearing where Jack had set up everything he needed, and he turned to face Alex. Stepping closer to him, he ghosted his hands over Alex's face, leaving them to rest on his shoulders.

“Trust me?” He murmured, almost close enough to touch Alex's lips with his.

Alex only nodded slowly, and Jack reached around to undo the blindfold. His boyfriend's honey coloured eyes came into view, and he grinned, knowing all Alex could see was him, he was blocking out everything behind him. Jack pecked Alex on the lips quickly, then began his speech.

“Alex, I love you- I love you so fucking much it's unreal. You're the best thing that happened to me, you're the one thing that has stayed constant in my life, and I thank you for that. I want to make it up to you every single day for the rest of our lives,” and with that he moved to the side, letting Alex see what was behind them.

A thousand flickering candles shone against the dewy grass like miniature suns, spelling out the words 'Will you marry me?' clearly in amber fire.

Alex's eyes welled up, he brought a hand to his mouth, and turned to the dark-haired man stood next to him, surveying him for a reaction.

“Do you even have to ask?” Alex choked out through his tears, grinning at the younger of the two.

Jack's face lit up in a grin, and he grabbed Alex around the waist, bringing him in close for a heated, loving kiss.

“So that's a yes?” He asked after pulling away, and Alex swatted him lightly over the head, rolling his eyes.

“Of course it's a yes, you dick.” and with that, he brought Jack forwards again for another kiss.


Jack smiled at the memory of how he proposed, remembering every expression on Alex's face, every word, every smile, every happy tear. If that had been a scary day for him, it paled in comparison to today. But Jack wasn't worried, he knew today would be perfect.

*


“Breathe, Lex. You can do this.” Rian said comfortingly, placing a hand on his best friend's shoulder, who nodded and took a deep breath in.

“Yeah, I can do this. I can do this.” Alex repeated to himself like a mantra, turning to his dad, “Is it time yet?”

His dad smiled, “Almost, son.”

The engaged pair had decided that Alex would be the one to walk down the aisle, and Jack would meet him at the alter. Ever since Alex was a child, he'd always adored the idea of walking down the aisle and being given away, so it was only logical to let him do it. And the decision had nothing to do with Jack insisting that Alex was 'the girl in the relationship, bro', not at all.

Rian left to take his place on Alex's side; he and Zack were joint best men, but to make it even they would be on either side of the couple. Jokes had been thrown around that Alex and Rian should have been wearing dresses, as they were technically the bride and maid of honour, respectively, but Alex had just flipped off his fiancé and laughed it off.

Five minutes later and Alex's dad was linking his arm with Alex's, telling him it was time. Alex heard the beginning of a wedding song begin, not the traditional song, as Jack and Alex were anything but traditional, instead they had chosen to use the string version of Painting Flowers, a song the band had recorded for Alice In Wonderland. He took a deep breath in; this was it.

He stepped around the corner on his father's arm, all eyes on him. But his eyes were glued to Jack's. He looked so gorgeous standing there at the alter, clad in a classy black suit and a wine red tie, a matching colour boutonnière attached to his suit jacket. Alex was dressed to match him.

“Who gives this man away to be wed?” The minister asked.

“I do, Father.” Mr. Gaskarth replied, before taking his seat on Alex's side next to his wife.

Jack took Alex's hand when he reached him, smiling widely at his soon-to-be husband, “You look amazing, baby.”

Alex smiled back, “So do you.”

“Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Jack Bassam Barakat and Alexander William Gaskarth in matrimony, which is commended to be honourable among all men; and therefore – is not by any – to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly – but reverently, discreetly, advisedly and solemnly. Into this holy estate these two persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together – let them speak now or forever hold their peace.” The minister began speaking.

*


“Now, Jack, repeat after me. I, Jack Bassam Barakat, take you, Alexander William Gaskarth, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow.”

Jack repeated the minister, eyes never leaving Alex's.

“And Alexander, repeat after me. I, Alexander William Gaskarth, take you, Jack Barakat Bassam, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow.”

Alex repeated the vow, Jack smiling at him the whole way through.

“Who has the rings?” The minister asked, looking around at the guests.

“I do.” Zack said, taking the box out of his pocket and handing them to Jack.

“Jack, repeat after me. I Jack Bassam Barakat give you Alexander William Gaskarth this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you."

“And Alexander, repeat after me. I Alexander William Gaskarth give you Jack Bassam Barakat this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you."

One the ring exchanging was done, Alex's heart began to race. This was it, the last part before he and Jack would officially be married.

"By the power vested in me by the State of Maryland, I now pronounce you married,” The minister finally said, smiling softly at the pair. She could tell they were deeply in love with each other, “You may now kiss each other.”

Jack didn't need telling twice; he pulled Alex to him and connected their lips together in a loving, yet passionate kiss. Cheers erupted around them, and they pulled away grinning.

“Come on, let's get to the reception.” Alex murmured, and Jack nodded, taking his now-husband's hand and leading him down the aisle to the hotel ballroom, where the reception would be taking place. He was so glad that they had decided to get married in a manor hotel, it was similar to an old English noble home, and just exuded grace and beauty.

*


The meal was filled with laughter and light-hearted conversation, the newly-weds joking and chatting with their friends and family dotted around them. Soon it was time for the speeches; Rian and Zack, as the best men, would be giving a joint speech.

The best man duo stood up, laughing nervously, “Ladies and gentleman,” Zack began speaking, “I'd like to say that this was a surprise, but I think Rian would agree with me when I say that we all saw this coming, right from the very start back in 8th grade,” He laughed, the others joining in. “Alex and Jack were inseparable even at the age of 13, and this has pretty much stayed the same since then. They're like peanut butter and jelly, the perfect two. They complete each other.”

“Now that Zack's got the serious, mushy stuff out the way, I guess it's my duty to make everyone laugh,” Rian continued, once again making everyone laugh, “These guys have been my best friends for 11 years; I trust them with my life, even if they are a little immature, to put it lightly.” Jack stuck his tongue out childishly at this, proving his point. Everyone laughed. “I'm gonna keep this short and sweet; Alex and Jack you deserve each other, you really do, I know you're going to be together when you're 70, still making dick jokes to each other. I love you guys, and I wish you the best of luck in the future. To Jack and Alex!” He said, raising his glass in toast.

“To Jack and Alex!” Everyone replied, toasting the newly-weds.

“And now it's time to cut the cake.” Zack said, grinning at the seated pair. They made their way over to where a beautiful three-tiered cake was placed, elegant black and red roses twining around it. Rian and Zack had asked the cake-makers to create marzipan sculptures of the couple to go on top, so there was a pair of miniature Alex and Jack on the top tier, styled hair and all.

“Ready, baby?” Jack asked, wrapping his hand over Alex's on the knife as he embraced him from behind. Alex nodded, and they began to cut the cake.

*


“Now, I'd like you to join me in welcoming the newly-weds for their first dance as a couple.” The DJ said over the mic system. They'd chosen Sum 41's 'With Me' as their first dance song, as it perfectly described their relationship. The song began to play, and all eyes turned to the couple.

Jack and Alex smiled at each other fondly, taking each others hand and walking towards the dance floor. Jack wrapped his arms around Alex's waist, who placed his around the dark-haired man's neck. Pulling him close, Jack nuzzled Alex's neck as Deryck Whibley's voice began flowing out of the speakers.

I don't want this moment to ever end,
Where everything's nothing without you.
I'd wait here forever just to, to see you smile,
'Cause it's true, I am nothing without you.


“This is perfect.” Alex murmured in Jack's ear.

“You're perfect.” Jack replied back just as quietly.

Alex laughed, “You're so cheesy.”

“But you love it.”

“I do.”

I want you to know,
With everything I won't let this go.
These words are my heart and soul.
I'll hold on to this moment, you know,
As I bleed my heart out to show,
And I won't let go.


Jack sighed in happiness as he listened to the lyrics of the song, Alex's head rested on his shoulder. It was true, he really was nothing without the older man; Alex was his everything, his whole world. And he wouldn't change that for anything.

Alex smiled to himself as he thought over the events of the day; nothing would ever compare to this, he was finally, officially Jacks. And Jack was his, forever. No feeling would every compare to what he was feeling at that very moment.

Everything was perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two things to talk about:
1. After Yours To Hold is finished, I'm starting a new story called A Warped Summer, go subscribe if you're interested.

2. I made a writing tumblr where I'll basically be posting chapter previews and news about my stories, if you have tumblr you should go and follow it. I'll answer any questions about my fics as well if you have any, it's easier to ask things on tumblr than on here aha c;