Camp Redwood

keegan.

"This place is a fucking shithole," I mumbled to myself angrily, stomping on the half-smoked cigarette I threw to the ground moments earlier. I leaned on the wood wall of the side of my cabin, needing to get a breath of fresh air. It was the middle of the night, and I haven't slept a drop in the past two days. 

It's been two weeks since the movies, and two weeks since Lupe's talked to me. I eventually stopped putting in effort, not wanting to seem like a lost puppy in everyone's eyes. I was better than that. If she didn't like me, so be it. 

I kicked the wall with all the force I could. 

"Dude," Forrest calls out to get my attention, catching me by surprise. He leaned over the railing of the back porch in nothing more than his boxers. His eyes looked tired and sunken in, and I could tell I woke him up with all the noise I had made. 

I flipped him the bird, yelling, "Fuck off!"

He ignored my remarked and hopped off the porch like some monkey, making his way to me. I handed him a smoke, hoping that when he was done he'd go away. I threw him a lighter from my back pocket, the fire illuminating his face a split second before going out completely. 

"What's on your mind?" 

I shot him a dirty look and spat, "Like you care." 

He smirked and lifted the cigarette up to his parted lips. "What - are you PMSing or something?" 

I rolled my eyes in frustration, replying, "You're a dick." 

"I've been told." 

"You're like... a fucking prince charming," I admitted in annoyance. "You have every girl here wrapped around your fingers." 

Forrest lifted an eyebrow, a thoughtful expression flooding his features. He replied, "Girls don't like you because you're an asshole," he said, "Just in case you're wondering."

"Not helping." 

He laughed, "Seriously, man," he said, "Would it hurt you to be nice once in a while? I mean first, you try to steal my girlfriend-" 

"Coming from the guy who almost stole mine-" 

Forrest burst out laughing, "First of all, Lupe isn't your girlfriend," he continued, "and second, she came onto me." 

We stood there in pure silence for quite awhile. I thought of Lupe, hoping that someday soon I could make everything up to her. I liked her- but she wouldn't let me. Millions of thoughts flew through my mind at once. 

Forrest broke the silence with a small, "What are you thinking now?"

I wondered why he wanted to know. "Lupe." 

"You like her?" 

"Yeah," I replied, "A lot." 

He flashed a crooked smile my way and winked, "I figured." 

I ignored his remark, thinking it was some rich-boy-posh thing to talk in riddles all the time. Kicking the side of the cabin again, I stormed inside and tried my best to fall asleep. 

+


I watched as Lupe tanned on the boardwalk. She was looking better, less sickly, now that she was away from the pills and she was eating a bit more. She laid next to Aubrey on the towel they shared, a pair of big sunglasses resting on the bridge of her long nose. 

"Take a picture," a voice said from behind me, "It'll last longer." 

I turned around to see Kalliope standing to the side. She slid on the bench next to me, crossing her arms after she sat down. SHe stared at Lupe with angry eyes, and I could tell she was still upset about what Forrest did with the skinny girl. 

"I thought you hated me," I said, snapping Kallie out of her thoughts. 

She shrugged. 

"I think you should make up with Forrest. He's really sorry." 

She chuckled, "When did you both become friends?" 

"We're not," I answered. "But he won't stop dragging his feet around the cabin and his sadness is kind of rubbing off on me." I stared out at the lake, all the kids canoeing and swimming. 

I didn't know if she took what I said to heart, but she got up and stomped away soon after. I hoped that she was on her way to our cabin to apologize for how she was acting lately, because that's what was the right thing to do. 

I went back to watching Lupe. 

+


"So, I kind of like this girl." 

Dr. P frowned at me from the leather seat behind her desk. She looked at me with exhausted eyes, replying, "Can I ask who this girl might be?" 

I shook off her question, and instead said, "I'm trying to impress her because she's been ignoring me lately, but I don't know how." 

She sighed, "To be young and in love..." 

"I didn't say that-" 

She raised an eyebrow. "But I can tell." I looked off to the side, and she tried to help me. "Look, Keegan, this is supposed to be therapy about you. And whoever this girl is - she's changed you." 

"You can tell?" 

She cracked a smile. "I've known you since you were twelve," she replied. "Of course I can." 

"So how do I get her attention?" 

She shrugged, "Just see what she likes and build off of that." 

The only things I know Lupe likes is books and dancing. Other than that, I was at a loss. 

"If she's right, Keegan," Dr. P said, "then it'll all work out." 

+


I sat in bed that night, and it was another one of those times I couldn't sleep. My eyes open, I stared at the log ceiling. I peeled out of the blankets and put on jeans and a t-shirt I found in the middle of the floor.

A thought crossed my mind, a thought that maybe Lupe wasn't that far out of reach. Maybe, just maybe, if I told her that I loved her, she'd give me a chance.  

"Where you going?" Forrest asked in a raspy voice, turning over in his bed. I didn't answer him, instead walking out into the chilly air. 

I slowly walked to Lupe's, rehearsing exactly what I would say and how I would say it just so I wouldn't fuck up. I didn't want to scare her off (as if I haven't already done that) and decided to go for a more subtle approach. 

Lupe, I like you. 

But then she already knew that, right?

I like the way the moonlight shines on your face.

I obviously couldn't use that line, either. 

I was standing outside her window. Picking up a rock from the ground and threw it lightly, the sound from the collision making me flinch. It was unnecessary - throwing the rock - because her window was eye-level. I had seen it in movies, however, and figured it wouldn't hurt to try. 

I threw another one, and right before I was going to turn and run back to my own cabin, the window creaked open. 

Lupe leaned out, and I blurted out the first romantic thing I could think of. 

"What light through yonder window breaks?" I recited, feeling pathetic. Lupe stared at me confused, but a small smirk played at her lips when she recognized the words. 

I had watched the Italian version of the movie in ninth grade, recalling the only part that I paid attention to: the balcony scene. Juliet's boobs were falling out of her dress and... Nevermind. 

I thought if Lupe liked reading so much, she'd at least read one of the classics. 

"It is the east, and Lupe is the sun," I continued, taking another step towards her window. I smiled at how clever I was for changing the name. 

Not giving me a chance to finish, she rolled her eyes, "Go to sleep, Keegan." 

I smiled, "Oh, speak again, bright angel." 

She lifted her hands above her head, moving to close the window. But before she could, I took a giant step forward. Holding the sides of her face, I planted the biggest kiss I could on her lips. 

I pictured that when we'd do something like this - when I'd finally make my move - it be more romantic. But by the way she kissed back, I knew it wasn't going to be the last moment we shared. 

Even if she hated me again in the morning, I didn't think I'd regret kissing her one bit.