Drowning Lessons

Open your mouth

It had been one of the hottest days thus far on Warped Tour; and I was glad to finally escape into one of the air conditioned tents set up in the parking lot. The venue was busy packing up, and I had to be on my bus in a few hours to ensure we arrived in North Carolina tomorrow on time. We’d been on Warped Tour for only about a week, and it was already blurring together. I couldn’t remember most of it, since I was on drugs for almost the entire time. Oh well, at least I was having fun. Staggering towards Gerard Way, who looked wasted, I decided he’d be a fun guy to party with. I go to the table he’s at, and dig out a beer from the pack that he’s guarding. I open it, and take a sip, immediately cringing. Pabst Blue Ribbon was the absolute worst. But, so desperate I was for beer, I swallowed it.

“How can you drink this?” I ask, setting it down and sitting across from him. In my pocket right now I had two Ecstasy tablets. It was the only thing I could think of that might actually make drinking the shit beer enjoyable. I dug it out of my pocket, setting it down along with my pack of Marlboros and my lighter. No one is around to care, and even if there were, they’d probably ask where they could score some. Warped Tour was notorious for the drug usage. You can’t walk ten feet without coming into contact with the smell of weed.

“Open your mouth,” I say, leaning across the picnic table with the pill pinched in between my thumb and index finger. I place the tablet on Gerard’s tongue before doing the same for myself. Once it’s gone and dissolved, I sit back and take another swig of the cheap, shitty beer. It would take awhile for the drug to kick in, but it was going to be so worth it.