Status: Complete

You're Not Like the Others

Ch.22

My shift was over unfortunately. I didn't want to go dress shopping. Not because I'm getting cold feet but because Jess is really annoying when it comes to dresses. I sighed and looked at the text message, 'Bride's 2 B'. I got in my car and headed to the boutique.

Once I got to the Bride's 2 B door, I was greeted by Jess.

"How've ya been Kayla?" She asked me while opening the door for me.

"I'm doing fine Jess," I said as we walked in.

"What kind of dress do you want exactly?"

"Something simple and basic Jess."

I saw that 'You've got to be kidding me' look on her face.

"What? I don't want a dress that's so puffy that Zak can't reach me when it's time to seal the marriage. And I definitely don't want a dress that has so many rhinestones on it that you have to wear sunglasses from the shininess," I stated.

"Ok. Do you want sleeves, straps, or no straps?" Jess asked as she started walking away from the really puffy dresses.

She then stopped and looked at me.

"Basically what I'm trying to say is...Do you want Zak to have a hard time getting you out of the dress or not?"

I could feel my face heating up. Why in the world would she say something like that in public? That's right, it's her. She's very unpredictable at times.

"Jess. I don't think the whole world wants to know," I hissed.

"There's no one here Kayla. Just some of the employees, that's it," She said while taking my hand, "Now c'mon. What kind?"

"I've always liked strapless dresses."

"Alright. Now we're getting somewhere," Jess said.

We made it to the strapless dresses and then she said,

"I'm going to look at the flower girl dresses."

Before I could say anything she was gone.

Why did I agree to go shopping with her?

I started looking at some dresses until a lady that looked to be in her early 40s came up to me.

"Are you finding everything ok?"

"Not really," I said honestly.

"What type of dress are you looking for?" She asked nicely.

"I would like a dress that's strapless or very little straps..."

She nodded and I continued, "I don't want to look like a blingy cupcake."

She chuckled at that and motioned for me to follow her. We made it to a section that had strapless dresses that were simple.

"Here's one big question, what's your dress size?"

"Um...Size 4."

She started looking for a size 4. I felt my phone go off so I looked at it, '1 new text'. I opened it and saw a very puffy, sparkly, hot pink dress.

-Wat u think?-J

-No-

I put my phone back in my pocket in time for the lady to hand me a dress.

"You can try this on right over there," She said pointing to the dressing rooms, "And if you need me I'll be right outside the door."

I closed the door and put the dress on. When I got it on I stepped out of the room so she could zip the dress up. I looked in the mirror, turning around to look at the back then bit the inside of my cheek.

I like this dress but it's missing something.

"Not the one is it?"

"No. I love the style but it missing something."

"Like designs or some rhinestones?"

"I'll try some sparkle."

"Alright," She said as she unzipped the dress so I could get out of it.

I went back into the tiny room and sat on the small bench with an inaudible sigh, this was going to be a lot harder than I thought. After a few more dresses I was starting to get sad because none of these dresses said 'me'.

"I've got one more dress for you to try on. I'll be right back."

The lady took off and Jess finally found me.

"How's it going?"

"Not good. None of these dresses are me."

"You wanna go?"

"If this dress that the lady is getting from the back isn't me, then we'll leave."

Just then she came back with a dress.

"Here's the last one we'll try on for today. I know this kind of thing gets very overwhelming," She said handing me the dress, "It might be a little big but if you love it, we'll tailor it."

I went in and changed one more time then came out. The lady used a special clip so the dress would fit right. I finally turned around and looked in the mirror. I felt my lips form a huge smile, this was the one. After two hours I finally found the one.

"You look beautiful Kayla," Jess said.

"Thanks."

"So?" The lady asked curiously even though she knew the answer to this one.

"I love it," I said happily.

"That's great. Let me write the measurements down then you can get out of it."

She wrote down the measurements and I went back into the dressing room and put my regular clothes back on. When I came out Jess was at the cashier buying something. The lady that was helping me out came back to me.

"Here's your receipt number."

"Thank you so much for helping out," I said.

"It's not a problem. By the way, who's the lucky guy?"

"His names Zak Bagans," I said shyly.

"Really?" She said surprised, "My two girls watch his show all the time."

"How long have you guys been together?"

"A little over a year now."

"Well, I hope it goes well for the two of you."

"Thanks."

Jess then came to us and said,

"Ready Kayla?"

"Yeah," I said then turned back to the lady, " And thanks again for everything."

"Not a problem."

Me and Jess left the store. Once we were outside she showed me the dress she got for Abby.

"Jess," I said sighing.

"What? She likes princess things, she'll love this."

She looked at her phone then said,

"I've got to go. I'll keep this dress until the wedding day. That way you can't return it."

She hugged me and left. I got in the car and headed to a place that helps take away my stress and pressure.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

I drove on the long winding bumpy road. Boy did this road need re-paved, parts of the road had broken off and now laying in the lush green grass. There were cracks, tiny pebbles, and dirt on the road too. I made it to the small parking lot and got out of my car and went to a vacant picnic table. I sighed contently and closed my eyes when a warm breeze hit my face.

My life's been interesting ever since Zak came into my life. Sometimes I think it was fate that brought us together, then again it could've been Victor. When Zak found out that I had a two year old, which she turned three while me and Zak were together, he didn't run away like the other guys did. When my abusive, soulless mother and her no good for nothing husband sexual abused Abby, he was there at the hospital that night to make sure everything was alright. I'm surprised he's stayed around for so long, no matter what has happened.

Then there's that small part of me with doubt. Could Zak just be using me for something? What will happen when we get married? Will he still love me and Abby? Will he treat us like he's been treating us or will all that change once I have his last name? Will he be faithful or run around with another girl while he's out ghost hunting? Will Zak want his own child? And most importantly, will the marriage last?

"Is this spot taken?"

I looked up and saw Zak holding Abby.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked shocked as I scooted over for Zak and Abby to sit down.

"I wanted to come," Abby said as she sat on my lap.

Zak leaned his back on the picnic table with a smirk and said,

"What are you doing here? I thought you were at work."

"I did. When I was done I went with Jess to dress shop. Then I came here to relax."

"How'd it go?"

"It was actually stressful because I couldn't find the dress I wanted. But I finally found it after two hours."

"What's it look like?"

"I can't tell you. You're going to have to wait until I walk down the aisle."

"Why can't I see it right before we get married?"

"Didn't anyone tell you that's it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before they get married?"

"A couple of people. You actually believe that?"

"To a degree," I said then I changed the subject, "How 'bout we head on home and eat some tacos."

"Yay," Abby said then got off of me.

"Slow down baby girl, you might trip over something."

"You ok?" Zak asked me while looking into my eyes as if the answer would be there.

"I'll be fine. I've got a lot on my mind right now."

"Kayla, you don't have to hide anything from me. We're going to be getting married in three weeks. You can trust me."

"I know I can Zak. The things on my mind right now are personal though."

"Alright," He said then kissed my forehead and helped me on my feet as soon as he was on his.

"Abby wear you out today?" I asked smirking.

"You have no idea. Just because I'm in shape it doesn't mean I have her energy."

"I know, I wish I had half her energy," I said giggling.

Abby came back to Zak and he picked her up and went to his car. She was talking to Zak a mile a minute with so much enthusiasm and he answered back with just as much even though he was tired.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

When we made it home I fixed tacos and we ate. Once 10:00 hit Abby passed out on the couch while we were all watching Lilo and Stitch. Zak picked her up to put her to bed and I couldn't help but smile at that. I decided to shut the BluRay player and TV off then head off to bed. I put on one of Zak's oversized shirts and crawled into bed, Gracie went to her dog bed that was in the corner of the room and layed down. Pretty soon Zak came in, I heard his take off his jeans and shirt then I felt him get into bed.

"Night Kayla," He whispered in my ear then kissed down my neck.

Each kiss lingering longer. He made his way back up my neck and I felt my heart beat quicken just a little. Then he kissed the top of my head and put his head on his pillow and wrap his strong arms around me protectively.

What am I worrying about? Everything's going to work out fine. Right?