Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

Sometimes I don't know why we'd rather live than die.

Matt did eventually rise from the ground, but the look of awe that graced Matt’s face didn’t.
“I’m…it’s so great to see you, Thor.” Matt stammered.
The man smiled and pat Matt’s back approvingly. “And the same to you.”
Although Thor looked gruff, his eyes radiated kindness.
“You were flooded with so much happiness, I decided to come see what made you so…delighted.”
Alexis’s eyes shifted from Thor to Matt. Matt glanced back at Alexis and pulled her forward. They were just chased by werewolves and no one wanted to talk about that. Okay, cool, Alexis thought.
“Her.”
“Is this your mate?” Thor asked with a smile. If that were the case, he would have been just as happy.
“Not…not entirely. She’s my…I made her.”
Thor smiled and took Matt’s hand. “I see. It’s always good to welcome more of our kind.”
“There’s more to it…” Matt said cautiously.
Everyone else was also there including Callie, the blonde, and Miranda, the redhead. The looks on their faces told Alexis clearly this was someone to respect.
“Oh?” Thor’s eyebrows raised at Matt and then his eyes shifted over to Alexis then back to Matt. “And what’s that?”
“She’s an original.”

That apparently made her extremely interesting to Thor. He did the same thing Matt had done when she rose from perfecting. Thor pulled her lips up to inspect her teeth.
“I’ve only seen 3 in my entire existence! This is truly incredible. How strong is she?” Thor asked Matt. Alexis didn’t care for Thor talking to Matt like she was some sort of pet.
“The first time she rose I couldn’t control her. She probably could have killed me if I hadn‘t watched her more carefully.”
Thor nodded. “Fast?”
“I took her out for a run tonight just to see. I lost her for a moment and had to follow her scent instead.”
“Impressive. Beautiful, too!” Thor smiled at Alexis warmly. In that moment she wondered how old this man really was. How old was Matt? How old was anyone for that matter?
“Thank you.” Alexis bowed her head slightly.
“You are certainly welcome, child. Out of 8 of your kind that exists now, you are only the second female, that makes you doubly priceless. Certainly a treasure.”
Alexis tried not to blush but smiled back at the man.
“What was all that fear I felt earlier, my son?” Thor asked at Matt.
“Werewolves. We must have hunted close to their territory. I didn’t smell it when we were out, but they found the bodies of our prey, and caught our scent.”
“A nest as large as yours could take them out easily enough, do not fear them.”
Matt relaxed and so did Alexis.
“I have one favor to ask while you’re here, Thor.” The shyness in Matt’s voice surprised Alexis.
“The elves are going to start a war with this nest. Alexis could big our biggest weapon, but I…I would like her to be as well trained as she can be. You know more about originals than I do…could you help her with the strengths specific to her type? The rest I will take care of.”
“Oh, absolutely.” Thor sported a large grin and he crossed his arms and looked at Alexis who was confused again. Elves? Werewolves, vampires…elves? “Make sure she is fed. That’s all I ask. It will reinforce her abilities if she stays fed and you’d get a greater benefit if the elves decide to attack.”
“She’ll be fed and I’ll try to condition her basic abilities while we hunt.”
“Perfect.” Thor said. For a moment he was quiet then his face contorted into a confused expression. “How long has it been since you stopped mating with the elf?”
“100 years.”

“A BREAKUP?!” Alexis shouted. She had grabbed Isabel then headed to her dressing room. “I am going to become a weapon…because of a breakup…that happened a hundred fucking years ago?!”
Isabel unbraided Alexis’s hair. “It wouldn’t usually be such a big deal.” Isabel had the most gentle voice Alexis had ever heard. It was beautiful and sweet, but right now it was grating, but Alexis couldn’t figure out what wouldn’t be right now, so she let go of her irritation with the petite girl. “But elves form strange bonds with each other, and like Rev said earlier, when one is hurt, the rest are too.” Isabel brushed out a few tangles in Alexis’s hair than began braiding it again. “They have attacked the nest several times since I was made, and it lasts for about 10 years at a time with only a year or two in between. We are on year 3 of this attack, and usually this happens every day. They‘ve been slowing down, but they could come again, so be prepared for that. They try to get into our nest, but our doors are made of iron and they are…allergic, I guess you could say, to iron. You hear them trying to find ways to get past it, but even being close to it makes them sick.” Isabel tied off the braid and laid it on Alexis’s shoulder.
Alexis turned and looked at Isabel. “Matt…told me about you…I’m sorry.”
A small smile turned up the corners of Isabel’s mouth. “Honestly, I love this life. But Brian resents me a lot. His guilt makes it hard to be around him.”
“How long ago were you made?” Alexis didn’t like prodding, but she was honestly curious and couldn’t help it.
“1932. 80 years ago? It was my fault. I was out in a place I didn’t know…by myself. When I was made I was so happy at the chance of any freedom. Brian and I…we were rogue for awhile, but then he brought us here.”
It was silent for a moment before Alexis took Isabel’s hand. “Thank you for fighting for me.”
“You’re welcome, but I want to admit something to you. Callie and Miranda are friends, and they have Johnny and Zacky. They have their makers and each other. I wanted to have a friend at least, because my maker can hardly look at me. So I think my purpose was of a dishonest kind…I’m sorry.”
Alexis stood up and hugged Isabel.