Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

We look up to the sky for answers to our lives.

When she pulled away, Isabel’s eyes were brimmed with blood. “Please don’t cry. Here, I’ll braid your hair this time and you can just talk with me.”
Isabel sat in the chair in front of Alexis and Alexis took the brush, slowly brushing through Isabel’s silky brown hair.
“Do you mind if I ask you some questions, Isabel? I won’t if you feel uncomfortable, but I just want to know everything I can.”
“No, that’s okay. I know a lot more than everyone thinks.”
As Alexis parted through Isabel’s hair she thought of what she wanted to ask.
“How old is everyone?” It was general enough to not conceal Alexis‘s desire for knowledge.
“Matt…Matthew Sanders, his full name,“ Isabel nodded slightly. “he was born in Ireland in what he believes was somewhere around 1490. His family was poor, and to help them he was a soldier of sorts. During an English invasion he went to protect the territory, but was injured and everyone left him to die. Thor found him barely alive when night fell and both countries had left the field. Thor, having no surviving children, made Matt out of what I would guess was loneliness.”
Alexis brushed through Isabel’s hair with her fingers, going as slow as possible. “Brian Haner was born 250 years ago. He was living in Spain as a builder. Matt ran across him one night sitting alone by the ocean. He didn’t know Matt was…like he is…and Brian wanted…” Isabel looked to the side. “More to life than what he had. Matt gave it to him. Or so he thought. Brian hated Matt for what he did, and Matt struggled with bonding to him.”
Alexis’s eyes became shadowed and she looked forward blankly. “Matt made Brian?” She was no longer twisting Isabel’s hair.
The only response Alexis got was Isabel nodding slightly. Alexis looked back down and began parting it once more. “I’m sorry. Please finish.”
Isabel looked down at her hands. “The first time Brian ran off, Matt followed him here, but didn’t find him. Eventually Brian found Matt. But he had made Jimmy, or Rev, if you prefer to call him that. Rev…” Isabel said the word gently. “doesn’t remember much of his life, but he thinks his last name was Sullivan. Even if it wasn’t,” she shrugged. “That’s what he chose. Anyways, he was made 200 years ago. It was night and he had gone out to get wood for his home, but Brian was nearly unperfected and…you see what I mean.”
This must be a busy guy, Alexis thought. He’s made 2 vampires?
Isabel continued as Alexis finished intertwining the sections of hair. “Brian eventually dumped Jimmy with Matt and took off again, but the two became friends. Brian didn’t return for years, and to help them survive, Jimmy made Zachary Baker, who they dubbed Zacky. He is 170 years old or so now. Why Jimmy chose him I couldn’t be sure, but I think Zacky figured out what they were and was willing to join them, and they needed someone willing.”
“What about the short one? Johnny?” Alexis sat next to Isabel.
“He was made by a vampire in another nest. His maker died when he was fairly young for our kind, and he was practically starving. Turns out his maker wasn’t very good. He didn’t train Johnny at all, and he had only his instincts to rely on, but it’s hard when you’re in the middle of nowhere and there’s no humans, so he was drinking animal blood. He’s only about a decade older than I am.”

Matt sat back in the hidden library. He still wasn’t particularly calm that he and Alexis had been chased by werewolves. There was no scent marks claiming that territory, so this pack must have been rogue or…he thought, sent after them.
He was also angry he hadn’t felt the presence of his maker, even though he had a valid excuse.
“Those fucking elves, one hundred years and they still cry about the past.” Thor was saying.
Matt clung to every word, but did not speak. There was already enough of that happening.
“I tried explaining to Matt before that he should have just killed them both. Those two in particular are rogue enough that had they died, the rest would not be hounding us down, but when he left them alive, they were connected enough that their grudge spread.” Zacky said. His eyes were glued to Thor.
“We need to kill them now. It’s been a hundred fucking years. They can’t…we can’t allow them to continue with these attacks. Eventually they’ll get through. They won’t stop until they do.” Johnny added.
“That’d be easier said than done.” Rev pointed out. “I never smell their scent around. They send others to attack first. We’d have to find a way to get them here.”
Thor turned to Matt. “What did you see in the elf anyways?”
Matt’s entire face was blank and his eyes were withdrawn. “The blood.”
For once, Syn’s eyes were alive. He had spent his entire existence trying not to end human life. But the prospect of killing the elves held his interest. Maybe he could find some joy in being a vampire after all.