Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

We may get some solutions but most just pass us by.

-Through Matt’s Eyes-

Alexis was fucking incredible. Her speed and power was impressive and I admitted to myself that I would sometimes I found myself getting jealous. I hated being a maker to Brian. As much as I loved and cared for him, turning him to our kind was probably the worst thing I could have done for him. I enjoyed this world, loved it. But Brian did not, and at first, when he would leave, I’d follow after him, calling for him, but he wouldn’t respond. Then, the more he’d do it, the less I’d feel inclined to chase his ass down. I’d not had much time with Alexis, but so far she made me feel the opposite of what I felt being Brian’s maker, and in general, she was just the opposite of Brian.

I didn’t want to talk about Val. I was so sick of talking about her. Shit, I was sick of talking about her 100 years ago. We were together for nearly 30 years, and by the end, I realized I loved her blood more than I had loved her. I didn’t know what kind of relationship should be built like that, and in both of our best interests, I left her. She didn’t take it well. At first I did everything I could to calm her, but as time went on, she became increasingly bitter. Eventually she stopped trying to contact me, and that’s when the attacks started.

Listening to everyone drone on was boring. I was barely conscious by this point, and I had already heard this all. Should have killed her this, should have killed her that. What the fuck ever. I had cared for her, and she had done nothing wrong, so why would I sign her death warrant? Now, however, I had signed her death warrant. I couldn’t have a whole clan of elves attacking my nest for 10 years at a time, and killing her, and her bitch sister, would ease my troubles.
“Matthew, it’s your choice.” Thor’s voice boomed. “How do you want to go about this?”
When I raised my head, I looked around to see everyone’s eyes focused on me. I sighed then sat back in my chair.
“Kill them on sight. I don‘t care.” I raised a hand and fanned out my fingers then retracted my hand back. “Just watch killing others. We don’t need any more of this shit.”
My authority wasn’t questioned, and the barely visible nods let me know they understood me. My lack of energy must be due to the sun rising because everyone else, excluding Thor who the sun barely phased, looked like they were half asleep.
There was a small tinkering at the door, like hands lightly pounding on it. I cleared my mind to prepare for danger and I found my own body was humming. It was Alexis. Immediately I shot up from my chair and pulled the door open to find Alexis crumpled on the floor bleeding from her ears, nose and eyes. I had forgot that she would have to sleep more than I would, although she could sometimes be awake during the day.
She looked up at me, sobbing from the floor. “What’s happening to me?”
Her tears sent pulses of sadness through me and I kneeled down and picked her up, holding her back with one arm while slinging her legs over my other arm.
“I‘m sorry, I should have thought of you needing to sleep.” I told her, putting as much comfort into my voice as I could. I turned to everyone else who was not bleeding like Alexis, but felt the same. “We should all go to ground for the day.”
Everyone rose in unison and I turned to Thor quickly. “Your room is unchanged, let me take Alexis to ground, and I’ll join you there.”
“Of course.” he smiled.

As I ran Alexis to the same room she had perfected in, her sobs became quieter and farther between as her head lolled back. And her body was going limp in my arms, although I could tell she was fighting it.
“Hang in there.”
I passed Callie and Miranda sitting in the living room. They were tired I could tell, but they could have stayed up if they wanted to.
“The baby need to take a nap?” She chuckled. Jesus Christ I wish Zacky had never made her.
“Callie, go to ground.” Zacky shouted. He didn’t stop moving, but the look on Callie’s face changed at Zacky’s order and she followed it. At least as far as I knew. Or cared.
I faintly heard Johnny tell Miranda the same. But again, I didn’t care.
I swung down the spiral staircase and a second later I was at my door. Holding Alexis to my body, I opened the door and kicked it closed before slowly walking her seemingly lifeless body onto the bed. At some point during the night, the sheets had been changed. Whose wise idea was it to let a maid into the nest with a newborn in it? Either way, I put the sheets over her and turned to leave.
Alexis wasn’t as lifeless as I believed. Before I completed the turn she clamped onto my hand and pulled on my arm weakly. I turned around and sat next to her.
“What’s up?” I furrowed my brow and looked down at her. She was reaching for me with the tips of her fingers. It would take a lot of energy for her to move much more and she was fighting sleep with everything she had.
I leaned closer to her and using her remaining strength she hugged me. Her arms were small compared to mine, but that was the same of most people. I took a moment and wrapped my arms around her body. She was still crying.
“Will you come back?” her voice quivered and trembled and her cheek grazed across mine. Suddenly I realized that I wanted to stay with her now, more than I had wanted anything in a long time. I thought if I opened my mouth something stupid would come out, so I just nodded. I sat with her for a moment and then when she stopped crying I gently got up and exited the room for the spare bedroom reserved for when Thor visited.

As soon as I was out of the door, he was outside of his, propped up against the wall waiting for me. He was almost laughing. His laugh faded into a plain smile and I followed him back into his room.
He sat, but I didn’t plan to stay long.
“I’m sorry I didn’t know you were coming or I would have…prepared.” I finally managed to push the words out.
“No need to apologize.” Thor responded, blowing off his own importance.
“Matt,” he continued. “I want to say that I am going to do everything I can to make her ready to defend your nest. Or at least you.” his eyebrows shrugged. “Sorry if I sound frank, but I don’t care about the others. They’re not my children, I simply…I don’t care.”
I tilted my head down. I did. I cared. This was my nest and I fought tooth and nail to bring it together and invested my own blood and time into it. But I understood. “I understand.”
Thor’s eyes were blank. He wasn’t unfeeling or distant, but after two thousand years, I guess this just happened. “I need you to follow my instructions. It’s not going to be comfortable, but it’s in your best interest.”
I nodded, listening.
“Keep her completely fed for 3 nights. Make her go to ground each night. Her powers will be…cemented by then. Afterwards, and Matthew, listen carefully. Remove your human servants. They can’t return. Feed Alexis every night after, but do not let her have much.”
“Wait. No. You’re asking me to deprive her of blood? She’s a newborn!” This idea didn’t sit well with me, but my anger didn’t phase Thor at all.
“It’ll be uncomfortable for you, I know. To watch, and to have her emotions pulsing through you. But it needs to be easier to mold her, and this is the best way.”
“You said to feed her earlier, she heard you!”
“Well she would have protested if I had told you the truth. Besides, I did say keep her fed. I didn‘t say for how long. You asked me for this. Don‘t complain to me if you don‘t like it.”
Why was Thor ready to battle the elves? This was my problem, not his. I didn’t want to starve Alexis, that was torture. It made me sick.
“Is that a command?” I asked, hoping for the best but knowing I was stupid for thinking this would go how I wanted.
“It’s a command.” His head tilted back and he was waiting to see if I would fight him. I didn’t. Thor was older than me and who was I to say he wasn’t right?
I put my hands on my head and ran both of them over my face.
“Okay. Fine. I’m going to ground.” I couldn’t leave that room fast enough. Alexis was mine, I made one of our kind who actually wanted to eat, and I had to starve her. I went back into my room and closed the door and locked it which sealed the entrance with silver and iron. Callie and Miranda weren’t people I trusted right now, so locking the door with the silver seemed appropriate. The iron was for those fucking elves who couldn’t just fucking go away. I was so pissed off right now I could hardly see straight. I was sure Thor felt it. The bed was nearly empty. Alexis was curled in only one part of the bed. Her cheeks were still pink with her bloody tears. I stripped down and got in the bed with her and pulled her to my body and held her before I shut the world out and died for the day.