Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

The only exception.

The Original Vampire's bonds are among the most complex of the supernatural. They may bond to any other supernatural creature, and live in small nests among them. Neo Vampires have not demonstrated an ability for this.

The Original's bonds are not always permanent, in certain cases they can reject a bond if it is no longer beneficial or proves to be dangerous and detrimental to them, preferring to seek out bonds more favorable. It is important to note, that an Original can reject a bond to a Neo vampire, without the Neo vampire leaving it. This would mean that a Neo can be bonded to an Original without the Original being bonded back, even in cases where they were previously bonded to each other.


Brian scanned rapidly through the rest of the book before finding nothing else helpful in it. Putting it back he picked up another one and started flipping through it but found nothing.

"Fuck." He said, putting it back and hunting for a new one.

"What?" Alexis asked, spinning in the desk chair at the table a few feet away.

"I can't seem to find anything on mating." He put on hand on his hip and then scratched his head with the other before walking back through the maze of shelves.

"Well, did you find anything else that was helpful?" She asked, leaning back and putting her feet up on the table.

"The best information I got was that you could have rejected your bond to Matt." He said distantly as he ripped books off the shelves and peeked through them.

"Ah." Alexis said, nonplussed as she picked at a thread on her jeans. A moment later her eyes came up and she quickly ran to Brian. "Do you remember when I asked you how you released someone you made?"

"Yes..." Brian said, his eyes locked on Alexis as he held an open book in his hand.

"If I did reject my bond to him, which was not a conscious decision...I wonder if I could release myself since I'm a different type."

Standing quiet, Brian shifted his weight and pulled his lips back a tad. "Doubtful. I'd say impossible, but I also thought it was impossible for you to take another mate, or for you to overpower Matt. You can reject his blood, but for you to be released, he has to reject his blood which he gave you when he turned you."

"Brian?" Alexis looked up after a moment, a puzzled look on her face.

He looked down at her.

Alexis looked away and ran a finger across her lips. "Matt and I were mated. Now you and I are mated. I get that I can reject my bond to Matt...and that he hasn't rejected the mated bond, but could he? Is it possible?"

Brian's eyes wandered around for a moment before they came back to Alexis. "That's a good question." And at full speed he was gone, tearing through the library, ripping books off the shelves before shoving them back.

After about a half an hour, Alexis finally heard him stop.

Releasing Bonds

Releasing a bond shared between Vampires is a complex event, and not completely understood. Many types of bonds can be released.

Maker's Bond: A maker can release their creation only when the maker desires to give their child independence above all things. This prevents a regrettable decision to cast off the progeny during times of stress or anger, as once a creation is released by its maker, the bond can never be redone or rekindled. The creation then loses the sensation of feeling their maker's emotions and ability to be called upon and commanded. Once this bond is rejected, it is important for maker and creation to not be living in close proximity as for unknown reasons, a released maker and creation experience extreme aggression which may lead to the maker destroying the creation because of the age, strength and speed difference.

For Original Vampires, releasing bonds is somewhat different. When an Original maker releases an original child, there is no noted aggression as in the case of Neo vampires. They often continue to cohabitate peacefully as long as there is ample sustenance to support them. The bonds also tend to be stronger in Originals than in Neos, perhaps being the root cause for the lack of aggression; the reminder of those deep bonds keeping them relatively docile.

There has only been one noted case of a Neo Vampire creating an Original and releasing it. It is important to understand that with Original children born to Neo creators, there is a high likelihood of aggression, especially in nests. The two form different types of bonds, and neither is fully capable of understanding the needs of the other. The Original child needed a deeper bond than the Neo maker was able to provide. The Neo maker was bonded its original child, the same it would be bonded to a Neo child, but the Original child was unable to bond to its Neo creator the same as it would if it had an Original creator. This was of no fault to the creator, but is thought to be a common occurrence in relationships such as this one. However, due to aggression that quickly escalated over a short period of time, the Neo creator was forced to release its makers' bond to this creation. Cohabitation seemed possible for a time, as after being released, the progeny was contented, however the Neo creator responded in the typical way with extreme aggression.


Brian quickly ran up to Alexis, thrusting the book into her hand. "Hold this."

"What are you looking for now?" Alexis asked, flipping through the pages of this old book. It was written in another language which seemed to be Spanish and she could only make out a little.

"The vampire who wrote that book, wrote another one after a few centuries. He might have better information in there."

"A few centuries? How old is this fucking book?" She asked, shocked as her fingers danced across the fragile pages.

"500 years, give or take a few." He said nonchalantly, his fingers running over the spines of books in the aisle across from her. "Ah!" Brian stopped with a smile, and plucked the book off the shelf and began to pace through the pages.

A mating bond is different from a nesting bond and a makers' bond in that the Mating bond can never be broken until one of the pair meets a true death. There have been no other exceptions to be noted except for a rumor from the 3rd century that a vampiress, having drained a man, abandoned him and was made by another vampire. After finding a mate a century later, the mere presence of the vampire who originally attacked him caused him to reject his mating bond and mate himself to the original vampiress. Since this is a rumor and no factual evidence has surfaced, there is no way to confirm this. As in the 3rd century most vampires were Originals and not Neo, it is hard to say if it is possible for a Neo Vampire to reject his mating bond, even if there is the slightest chance for an Original to do so.

Brian scratched his head again and began flipping through more of the pages before Alexis looked up.

"Uhh...Brian?"

Turning his head he saw Alexis staring at the book. "Yeah?"

"I can only make this out a little...I know it says 'creator, switch, and blood', but it's not about making a vampire, I can tell. Would this be helpful? I can't read the whole thing."

Walking over, Brian took the book and picked it up with one hand while it was open and began to gloss through the page.

In a case where a Creator drains their child of blood by consuming them, it is a rare possibility that a reversal in hierarchy may occur. This begins by the child slowly being able to overcome their Makers. Due to the fact that a maker would have the much younger blood of their creation, they become much weaker than they were prior. As the blood mingles into their tissues, a child may then be able to control their blood inside their maker, the same as it were when maker and creation were in their respective positions.

It is also a small possibility that after a short period of time, and dependent on the amount of blood taken from the child, that the child may be able to command their makers. This would not be done often, but it has occurred frequently enough to note.

There is not enough records to confirm, but there is also a possibility that if the amount of blood ingested by the maker from the creation is more than 50 percent blood volume, that the progeny could then also act as maker to its creator, completing the reversal.

There has been one rumored case of an incident occurring where the maker, drained of blood, drained his creation to nearly the point of a true death. When both maker and progeny had healed, the progeny was able to command its maker and eventually release itself but it is unknown how much blood needs to be ingested exactly in order for these occurrences to happen.


"That is helpful. Now I can understand why you overpowered Matt." He said quietly, still eyeing the book.

"What did it say?"

"Basically he has more of your blood in him than he has of his own. You can control your own blood inside of him, like he controls his blood in you. It's why you couldn't really overtake him, and it's why he struggles to get his commands to stick."

"He has no trouble getting his commands to stick." Alexis differed.

"He told you to relax and you attacked him, Alexis. I'd say that's trouble."

"Does it say anything else?" Alexis asked, stepping closer and peering over the edge of the book.

"Just that you could act as his maker depending on if he took in enough of your blood."

Alexis's eyes came up to meet Brian's, and for awhile his chocolate brown eyes could see into those deep sapphire pools, and what was behind them nearly scared him.

"What else have you learned today?" Alexis asked, turning away from him and rubbing at her lips.

"That you can reject a bond to a new type vampire if it's not good for you, whether or not the new type decides to stay in the bond. That your aggression is simply because Matt couldn't cement a bond to you because you are two different types."

Alexis turned around and then looked back.

"That if Matt released you, he would become very aggressive."

"Aggressive?" Alexis turned back around.

"Yes. Aggressive. For the same reason Jimmy and I don't always get along. Anyways, basically it says that your aggression will continue to get worse and he'll have to release you, and after that, you'll be fine. But that after Matt releases you, he's going to get aggressive with you."

Silence passed between them for a long time before Alexis sighed. "Can he reject the mating bond?"

"There's a rumor that your type can...but there's nothing known on whether or not we can. Personally, I don't think we can...if we're mated to our own type. But this shit...this is on a different level, Alexis. There's almost nothing on New Types making Originals. That's why you were so special to him, Alexis. That really does not happen anymore. There's just...nothing to read about because there's no sources for that kind of information in the first place."

As Brian went on, Alexis could feel his frustration and she ran up to him, taking the books out of his hands.

"Relax. It'll work out the way it's supposed to." Alexis tried to soothe him.

"I don't think you understand. Either you're going to get aggressive, or he will. And when he finds out about this...and I fucking know that he will...he may very well destroy us, or reject us from the nest and unfortunately I don't really have anywhere for us to go if he rejects us."

"Did you have somewhere to go with Isabel?" Alexis raised her eyebrows.

"No? We were rogue."

"And that is not a possibility again?"

"Alexis..." Brian sighed. "That's a rough existence. Have you ever slept in the ground? I mean you dig a hole and then bury yourself? Defending yourself from other rogue vampires? It is not pleasant. The original who killed Valary, and I know you wonder about him, is also a rogue. You get violent and mean and after how bad we fucked you up here, I don't want to fuck you up any more."

Alexis's face became hard. "Do you know that vampire?"

"We all know that vampire. Do not tell Matt about him."

"Why?" Alexis leaned in, confused.

Brian stared at her for a moment and like lightning he was gone from the library with Alexis following him.