Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

Wasteland pt. 2

As Alexis sauntered her way to Matt's room, she passed Rev and Zacky who were plopped down onto the couch, discussing the way the evening had turned.

"Hey!" Jimmy hollered, causing Alexis to pause in front of him. "You had no intention of killing her did you?"

Alexis smiled coyly at him. "No."

"That's some fucking noble shit! I was actually expecting to see her destroyed."

"Sorry to disappoint you, Jimmy." She laughed gently.

"No, do you understand how unexpected that is for your type, Alexis? Your eyes changed. You were going to fucking slaughter her, but you didn't. That's some control." Zacky interjected.

Alexis nodded subtly. "I had not planned to do more than teach her a lesson, but you're right Zack. I wanted to obliterate her in every sense of the word."

Rev and Zacky were silent for a long time and Alexis finally put a hand on their shoulders, and turned to keep walking down to Matt's room.

As Alexis descended the stairs, she could smell Matt's scent and she knew he was probably either in the hallway or not very deep into the room. Once she reached the bottom, it became clear it was the latter. Approaching the door, she grabbed the cold metal handle and turned it, opening the door to step into the room before closing the door behind her.

Matt was sitting on a bench and gestured for Alexis to sit next to him. She complied easily enough, and as she sat, she turned her body to face him.

"You impressed me tonight." He told her.

"How did I impress you?" Alexis asked, almost uninterested.

"I know you wanted to destroy her and you didn't. It's impressive."

Alexis looked down. "Ever think that maybe I kept more of my humanity than was expected?"

Matt laughed. "I already know that you did. But I know that they are not very welcoming to you, and Miranda has given you a lot of reason to dislike and distrust her. So even with your humanity, it's impressive that you fought that urge to destroy her."

"Where are they now?" Alexis asked.

"Don't know, don't care. They have to sleep outside the nest tonight. That was my own punishment."

Alexis tilted her head back. "Doesn't that mean Miranda will scar?"

"If Johnny doesn't get her buried well enough before the sun comes out. There's a small possibility that he could have her buried before the sun came up, and that she'd heal, but the likelihood is that she will scar." Matt said before inhaling. "Frankly, I hope she scars up. Ever seen vampire scars?"

Alexis shook her head.

"They aren't smooth like human scars. They are raised and the skin peels often. Our scars eventually heal completely, but with our slow metabolic rate, it can take many, many decades, sometimes even a century or more to heal. For future reference," Matt continued. "You can fix the scars by reopening the wound, cutting away the scar tissue, and going to ground as normal. But I'm not going to let her fix it immediately."

Alexis exhaled sharply from her nose, a type of laugh. "Cruel."

"I told you I don't tolerate the hate. She'll remember her punishment for a long time, just like she should."

Nodding, Alexis looked down at her hands before leaning back. "Why did you make me?"

Matt gave her a confused look. "I thought we discussed this."

"We did. You said Isabel asked you to do it because she had no friends. It doesn't make sense to me though. Why take the risk that the change wouldn't work? Why waste all that blood on a sliver of a chance?"

After a moment, Matt's eyes darkened. "Did someone say something to you?"

Alexis leaned forward. "Do they have anything to say?"

"Who told you?" Matt asked sternly.

"Who told me what?" Alexis's voice was hard.

Matt inhaled and his gaze focused on Alexis for a long time. He didn't like this game. "Forget it."

"No, Matt! I won't forget it! I want to know why you made me, and don't feed me shit about Isabel because I know it's a lie."

"What do you want me to say, Alexis?! That I made you for reasons a, b, and c?! It wasn't like that! It was a gut fucking feeling, and I went with it. I may not have made you simply because Isabel asked, but I didn't make you for any specific god damn reason!"

"A gut feeling?" Alexis asked, in disbelief. "Fucking incredible." She turned away from him and placed her hands on her knees, biting her bottom lip.

Matt could usually tell if Alexis believed him, but the pull he got from her was weak, which was strange given how close she was to him. It may have something to do with all the blood he took from her, or his injuries not being 100% healed yet. Perhaps a combination, but what baffled him was the lack of anything solid.

"I'm sorry if you expected a different answer, Alexis. You should go for the night." He told her.

She eyeballed him for a few moments before she was gone so fast, all he saw was the door closing behind her.

"Fuck." He told himself. She was onto him, and he was still unsure of what was up with her. Regardless, he decided to perform an experiment. An experiment, which could end up showing him things he didn't want to see, and which would once again throw the nest into chaos.