Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

Chords

"How is she?"

Nikki's voice startled Brian, who had been watching Alexis furiously write music for the past few hours.

Brian stepped away from the doorway and turned to Nikki.

"She says she's fine, but in all honesty, I don't fucking know. She's not the same as she was, and I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing. She picks up strange hobbies. Lately she's been writing music and been begging me to play it for her. Refuses to even touch my guitar herself. Asked Rev to find her a god damn piano. Up all night sometimes. I wake up and she's slaving over pages of music she's bled all over."

Nikki smiled and looked down. "Ever asked her why she's been doing that?"

"No. I just let her do what she wants. If she wants to sit there for days and make music, who am I to stop her?"

"Well ask her." Nikki patted Brian on the shoulder. "She might surprise you."

After Nikki left, Brian watched Alexis a little longer before heading into the room and sitting next to her.

"Please tell me what's been on your mind, Alexis. It's driving me crazy." He finally whispered to her after a long while of her sighing and jotting down a few more notes of music.

Alexis put her pen down and sat back. "His memories are gone."

"Whose memories? Matt's?"

"Yes. I can't feel his memories anymore, or go back through them. It's like they were never there." Alexis put her fingers to her mouth. "He had memories of stuff that I really needed to know. His fighting, his strategy. We really could have used that." Alexis sighed and put her hand down. "But they're gone."

"I'm sorry." Brian told her. "But we have Nik--"

Alexis waved for Brian to let her finish. "I couldn't always keep track of all of his memories. There was just too much there and I'd not know things I should have because I had his memories and his knowledge on top of my own. Then when I added yours, both of your memories became so muddled. It gave me headaches. But in the absence of Matt's memories, yours have become so much sharper. So much clearer. They're so musical, Brian. All of your memories have a song to go with them. A tone, a rhythm. That's what these are." Alexis lightly fingered the pages of music and looked at Brian. "Your memories."

"The songs from my memories?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes. I write what I can. I write for what you know how to play, because there are some things I just couldn't write for. I'd probably need a whole orchestra to make them sound like they should, but they get stuck in my head and I have to write down something."

Brian smiled to himself. "Is that what all this was about? You had to document my memories through song? You had me worried about you when it was all about me?" Brian stood up and walked behind Alexis's chair and leaned down to kiss her cheek.

Alexis giggled and turned around to plant a kiss directly onto his mouth.

"Are you hungry?" She asked softly, pulling his arms around her.

"It's been a few days. I could eat."

"I wish we didn't have to go out into the bars and shit to find food. That's the only drawback of this nest. No campers ever come around." Alexis whined.

Brian laughed gently. "They will come, I promise. I chose this spot for a reason. Wait for the summer and there will be so many we won't know what to do with all of them. If you'd like we can go out and hunt for some. Might take awhile, but I think there might still be a few out there."

"You're too good to me." Alexis kissed both of Brian's hands and stood up and turned around to hug him tightly.

"Well, there's something else I want to show you." Brian said through several kisses all over Alexis's face until Alexis was laughing loudly.

"And what's that?"

"You'll see. Come on." Brian said, leading Alexis out of the room.