Status: I'm a horrible updater.

Bat Country

Caught up in this madness, too blind to see.

Alexis followed him as best she could. There were times where Alexis felt like they were going so fast, when she would turn she would slide right out of his grasp. Matt had pulled her from the room and back through the large room, into a round one at the end of a hallway. They had climbed up a built in ladder and Matt opened a hatch and pushed it out. Alexis flew out of it. She was almost screaming. It was an adrenaline rush. She wasn’t quite sure what they were doing but once Alexis came out of the hatch she realized the entire structure she assumed was a mansion was underground. Then it hit her that she hadn’t seen any windows inside and she felt kind of slow, but she figured she had more to deal with than noticing windows. Matt looked at her. “I want you to run as fast as you can, wherever you want.”
All of a sudden Alexis’s muscles were burning. She wanted to run. Filled with energy, her legs pushed off the ground without another thought and she was running through woods. Instead of blurring, she saw everything as easily as if she had been staring at it. She knew Matt was close because the closer he got the more her body would seem to vibrate. Lights sparkled off in the distance, but she ignored them. Running felt so good. The wind ripped past her and she grinned. Why did this feel so amazing? The first moment she doubted herself, she came up to a large split in the earth. She didn’t know how deep or how wide it was and she wasn’t sure she would be able to stop so she kept running.
“Alexis, wait!” She heard Matt call from behind her. For a moment she forgot he was behind her.
Alexis turned as hard as she could and curled into a crouch, and she stopped just short of the ravine. It took a moment but eventually she straightened back out and looked at Matt. A large grin spread across her face and she threw up her arms and laughed loudly into the night sky.
“WOW!” She was pacing. “Why can we do that?!” She ran up to him and grabbed his hand and then spun away, pacing excitedly, smiling to herself with her hands clasped.
Matt was smiling. “Your muscles are different than your human ones,” he laughed. “Stronger, more durable.”
Alexis barely listened. “Can I jump that?” She pointed to the ravine. It was larger than she had anticipated, but she was full of energy.
“Yes, but--”
Alexis turned and ran towards Matt then swiveled back and headed towards the ravine again. Matt watched her.
“Fucking Christ.” He shook his head and ran as fast as he could. He jumped the ravine and landed before Alexis who was halfway through when he was done. He knew she was going to overshoot it, but when Alexis landed in the tree he couldn’t help but toss his head back laughing. He didn’t stop even as Alexis pleaded with him to tell her how to get down.
“It’s not funny!” Alexis clung to the tree like her life depended on it.
Matt tried to get out a few words but laughed again. It took a few more moments for him to collect himself. “Just climb. You won’t fall.” He was still having small bouts of quiet laughter.
Alexis dangled from a branch and tried to place her feet. Matt smiled and climbed up into the tall tree, reaching Alexis in seconds after he finally hit branches. “Like this.”
Matt swung from one branch down to another and repeated this until he hit the last one then made the final jump.
Alexis mimicked him as best she could. She slid a couple times, and she learned she had to tighten her grip and watch her feet, and she could see where to place her feet as if her vision was being played in slow motion. Eventually she made the final jump and looked at Matt who looked at her and laughed again.
“You look like a wet cat.”
Alexis’s hair was frayed out from the neat braid and she was almost trembling.
“Really funny.” She mumbled, trying to push her hair back down.
“I tried to tell you to let me show you. You have natural ability, but you still need to learn how to use it, Alexis.”
“Okay, fine, but can we walk now?”
“Yes, we can walk.”
But they didn’t walk far before Alexis paused. She lifted her head and closed her eyes, smelling the air. A light rumble reverberated through her chest.

She ran so fast, Matt couldn’t keep up as he flew through the trees behind her.
“Alexis!” He called, but to no avail. Bloodlust had a stronger hold on her than he did and now he was cursing himself for not feeding her before taking her out. He didn’t think they had run this close to the city, but there was at least one human close by, and no matter how hard Matt wished, she was going to get it.
Alexis swung to the left and was gone so fast Matt couldn’t even see her. He followed her scent but by the time he caught up, Alexis had found the human.