B213

Chapter 6

“Lemme see the knife.” Trevor held out his hand.

“What are you gonna do?” Matthew asked, handing him the knife.

“just watch and learn, youngblood.” Trevor said as he flipped the knife open and hid the blade with his hand. Matthew watched in worry. Trevor made his way through the crowd. He stealthy picked a mans hand as he walked by and closed the knife, Matthew saw it flash. The man held his hand in pain and looked around. Trevor walked up to the bar and motioned for Matthew to join him. Matthew made his way through the crowd, following the same path as Trevor. He took his place next to him at the bar.

“Two vodka and red bulls.” Trevor said to the bartender, who nodded. He poured two glasses of red bull and then two shots of vodka and put the four glasses on the counter. They dropped and shot glass into the glass of red bull and drank the whole thing., slamming the glasses on the counter. Trevor put a twenty under his glass and stood up.

“Come on man, we got a long night ahead of us.” Trevor flipped the knife out and handed it to Matthew without anyone noticing.

“Your turn.” He said as he started into the crowd. Matthew followed shortly after and, as he was walking, pricked another man’s hand. He yelped in pain as Matthew folded the knife and put it in his pocket. The man looked around, holding his hand, putting pressure on the deep cut. Trevor put his arm around Matthew’s shoulder again.

“Little to deep, but whatever, it’ll work.” Trevor laughed as they walked out the door.

“But that was still pretty slick, I’m impressed, I know for a fact that was your first time doing that.” Matthew shrugged his shoulders.

“It was easy, what can I say?” They laughed and walked back across the street. Matthew looked at the knife, he number two was embedded into the handle. Matthew smirked and thought to himself. This is pretty easy, but I wonder what will happen if I get all five. The curiosity was eating at him, he had to know, so he regarded it as a mission that needed to be completed.

“Where to next?” Matthew asked. He turned to look at Trevor, but he was gone. Matthew looked all around, but couldn’t see any sign of him.

“Thanks dude…” Matthew murmured. He looked around the parking lot to see if Haley was still there; she wasn’t.

“Well damn…” He said as he turned around and walked back to the street to walk home. There wasn’t going to be another bus for hours. He began the trek home by lighting a cigarette. He walked for a few blocks, watching cars pass by; buses, cabs, all full to the brim with people. He took out his ipod and put his headphones into his ears and put all his music on shuffle, so he got a bit of everything on it. People passed by giving him strange glances. He paid no mind and kept walking. It was nearing six o clock when a man stepped out of any ally way and followed Matthew. He took notice of this and turned around.

“Why are you following me?” Matthew asked the man as he pulled out his head phones. The man flipped out a knife.

“I want your money, all of it.” The man said, stepping a little bit closer. The street was completely clear of any witnesses. Not this again. Matthew flipped his knife open and the game was on. The man lunged forward and Matthew stepped to the side and punched the man in the ribs. He coughed and regained his footing quickly and lunged forward again, but this time he added a slash into the mix. Matthew caught the mans blade with his and jerked his knee forward into the man’s gut. He coughed again and almost fell, but caught himself and his breath. He lunged forward once more and Matthew used his free hand to spin the mans arm around and caught him in an arm lock. Bingo. Matthew took his blade and cut the mans cheek, making sure the blood hit the handle. It flashed and a three appeared on it. The man dropped his knife and yelled in pain. Matthew pushed the man and he fell to the ground.

“I want you to go home, I’m letting you off easy.” Matthew said as he watched the man scramble to his feet. He knew he was beat so he took off running. Matthew wiped of the blade with a napkin he had in his pocket and folded it shut. He picked up the man’s knife and threw it into a dumpster in the ally and continued his walk home. Two more cuts…26 blocks…lets do this. He thought as he walked. The last 26 blocks were fairly peaceful; Matthew was disappointed. Finally when he got back to his building it was almost eight o clock. He turned around and headed toward Haley’s Apartment building. He walked into the quaint building and asked where she was staying; she had never told him.

“Room 004.” The old woman said, sitting behind the counter. Matthew nodded his thanks and walked to his right towards a hallway of doors, widely separated from each other. He looked up at each number.

“001…002…003…” He said quietly as he passed each number.

“004” He turned and stood in front of the door and knocked on it. After a few minutes it opened and there stood Haley in a large shirt that covered the boxers she was wearing.

“Hey!” She jumped through the door and wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugged back.

“That wasn’t very long.” She said after kissing him.

“Nah, Trevor had to head home sooner then he thought.” Haley grabbed his hand as he talked and led him in. Ahead of him was a living room that took up half of the apartment. To his right was the bathroom, and to his left were a small corner kitchen and a door to the bedroom.

“Well, this is my place. Crappy right?” Haley asked, leading him to the large leather couch that sat in front a 32” T.V.

“No of course not, its nice.” Matthew lied. He couldn’t stand such a small living environment, but he figured he would get used to it eventually. They sat down and Haley leaned herself against Matthew and he put his arm around her. The local news station was on, reporting on a murder that happened only a few blocks away. That made Matthew uncomfortable.

“Does that usually happen around here? Murders I mean?” Haley shrugged.

“It happens, I don’t really let it bother me, I guess I’m used to it.” She said.

“Don’t you worry about it being so close?” Matthew was even more uncomfortable then before.

“Sometimes, but I guess you didn’t notice what’s above the T.V.” She said pointing to the wall. He had missed it, a shotgun sat on a self above the T.V.

“Oh…Yeah I guess that make you worry a little less.” Haley laughed at his statement.