‹ Prequel: Just The Way I'm Not

Painting Flowers

Chapter Seven

Usually in these situations Jack wasn’t so nervous. But this wasn’t just a normal situation for him was it? No. Every other time he was backstage, the lights down low and guitar around him while he waited for their cue to go on stage he was usually jumping up and down and nearly peeing himself with excitement. But this time everything was different. He wasn’t preparing to go on stage with his own band. He didn’t have his own guitar around him. And he wasn’t even in his own body.

Addie, Bram, and the rest of them had spent the entire five hours they had had before the concert they were just about to start teaching Jack Bram’s parts so he didn’t look like too much of a fool onstage. It wasn’t as bad as he had thought it was going to be, to play deaf, but it was really hard to get used to. He could only feel the vibrations of the notes, not actually hear them. He couldn’t use his ears to tune the guitar himself either and had to use a stupid tuner. That was just the icing on the cake. Jack hated using a tuner. There was nothing better than listening as you strummed the strings, listening for the tune and deciding whether or not it was just a tad off key or not. Just spending those five minutes, sitting there, in your own little world, just you and your favorite guitar waiting until it sounded perfect and then once it was, playing and getting lost in the music. That was one of the things Jack missed most now that his hearing was gone.

He also missed hearing Soph’s laugh. It was even weirder that he hadn’t talked to her since all of this had happened. But when he had just about to press send to the text he had all typed out and read to send and then he realized that she was on a plane headed for Asia. And even if he did send it at that moment, she wouldn’t get it for another few hours so what was the point? He’d just have to wait until later to finally get in contact with her and make sure she was ok. She did after all suddenly get her hearing back. And if he was having trouble getting used to not hearing, how was she coping with suddenly getting it back? He just gave a silent pray hoping everything was ok and she wasn’t freaking out too bad.

Someone tapping his shoulder pulled him out of his thoughts and he turned to see Addie standing behind him with a small smile on her face as she raised her hands to begin signing. We’re about to go on? Are you ready?

As ready as I’ll ever be.

Addie gave him a reassuring smile as she glanced behind her to see Bram saying something to her and she quickly nodded and told Jack that it was show time. He nodded, still nervous as he readjusted the strap on his shoulder and took the first shaky step toward the stage. Jack’s heart was pounding in his chest as he took the first step onto stage and looked around seeing the familiarly blinding lights. He couldn’t see the crowd as usual until he got to the edge of the stage but normally he could hear them. But this wasn’t a normal situation. He couldn’t tell they were there by hearing them so all he could do was assume they were as he took a deep breath and prepared to begin playing one of the many songs he learned that day.

Facing the crowd, he could see all the people now standing in the first few rows. They were all yelling and cheering as Jack felt the vibrations of the drums pounding as Bram began to play the intro as everyone else got ready to play. Addie looked over from her spot behind her mic over to Jack who stood at her right and gave Jack a slight nod for him to start playing. Bram originally is the lead guitarist until he took Soph’s place so it was Jack’s job to start off.

He nodded back and pressed his fingers against the strings to play the first note and held onto the pick tightly as he gave the first strum on the guitar. He could feel the strings vibrating on his fingers as he played and smiled to himself as the familiar love for playing came not caring anymore that he was now deaf. Glancing over to the rest of the band, he saw Addie wearing a huge smile on her face as she sang and Zane and Bram wearing similar looks as they continued on through the first song.

Once Jack played the final note to the song, all his worries and doubts faded away. It was just like he was on stage with his band. Nothing changed, not even the fact that he couldn’t hear what was going on. Addie was saying something to the crowd and they cheered in response as she continued on. When Addie turned to face him and signal him to start the next song, he could read the silent question in her eye asking if he was ok and he just grinned back with a slight nod saying that he was. He was having the time of his life.

Feeling the vibrations of the notes of the next song, he grinned even more as he began to bob and jump up and down to the notes. He could hear them clearly in his head and that was enough for him to be crazy like he usually was when he was on stage. The only thing different was there was no stupid banter between him and Alex. And he kind of missed him. He began to wonder what was happening with Alex and the rest of them but quickly shook his head as he forced himself to focus. This was no time to think about them, even though he missed them all so much. He could try and contact them once they got off stage later. Now was the time to lose himself in the music surrounding him and put his whole attention on that. While on stage no matter where he was he always felt like he was on top of the world and nothing could bring him down.

A hour later when they were finishing the last song, Jack was out of breath and smiling from ear to ear as he waved to the crowed as Addie finished up and then they were all walking off stage. The three of them were talking excitedly and Jack couldn’t really understand what they were saying but he really didn’t care. He was still high off of the adrenaline pumping through him from the familiar thrill of being on stage. He was on top of the world right now.

That was amazing! Addie signed as she turned and handed him a towel. You did awesome! There was no reason you needed to be nervous.

“Thanks,” Jack replied with a huge smile as Kora pulled them all in for a group hug and Addie translated to him something along the lines of celebrating their first show’s success.

Jack couldn’t help but agree. Though first he wanted to possibly get a shower and change before they did anything like that. And maybe try and get a hold of Soph.

Pulling out his phone, he realize that he might not need to get a hold of Soph since he found he had gotten a text in the middle of the show. He quickly opened it up praying that it was indeed from his girlfriend mentioning that she was ok. And he sighed in relief as he found that it was from her and she was safely in Japan. He texted her back telling her about the show and how everything was ok and that everyone knew about the switch. Just as he sent off the message, a hand fell on his shoulder and he turned to see Addie standing there with a worried look on her face.

You ok?

Jack shrugged and nodded, Yeah I’m fine. Just got a hold of Soph and she just landed in Japan with the others.

Is she ok? Addie asked with a worried look making Jack smile.

He was really glad that Soph had Addie. At first he had been jealous of the girl since he had felt replaced after he saw how close they had become after Soph had moved away. But now he was really glad that Soph had her and had someone to be there for her when Jack couldn’t. Addie was a really sweet and caring girl and seeing her in this new light and actually really getting to know her and how sweet and understanding she was made him feel horrible about ever having bad thoughts about the girl.

She’s fine, Alex and Zo know about what’s going on and are going to break the news to the rest of the band and crew soon. I told her to let us know how everything goes once it all happens.

Jack saw that Addie visibly relax at that and give a small smile, I’m so glad she’s ok. She signed and then looked behind her to the rest of the band who were calling something to her. They’re fussing about us taking too long, we better go before we have to deal with their crabbiness.

Yeah, besides I think we’ve had a long enough heart to heart. It’s time to go and celebrate the fact that this weird fluke actually is turning out ok and hasn’t become a huge disaster that we thought it would be.

Addie laughed and linked her arm with Jack’s as they began to head over to where the rest of the band was. Sure this was a little strange and Jack was still trying to get used to it, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as he thought it would be. Maybe he actually would be able to survive this until he and Soph somehow finally figured out how the hell this happened and how they could possibly change back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is it too weird to admit that I was watching Home Alone while writing this? Lol

A month isn't that bad, right? Compared to five like the last chapter. So I said that I was working on Nano the last month, but that was a epic fail. I got to like 10,000 words and then got writers block. I'm still trying to catch up on my other stories but somehow felt the need to write more on this one. =} So here I am. Hope you guys are liking this still. I really hope that this rewrite doesn't fail like the first one did and have a feeling that this'll turn out better. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, another huge thanks to all my readers. I love you guys! And also shoutout to my commentors: Zirara (I'm sorry I confused you. Hopefully I'll update more frequently than I did so you won't forget again! =}) and missbeckylouise (thank you for all the love on the prequels, I'm glad you like them!)!!!!!! I'd love to hear from more of you again! Please keep commenting!!! <3