Maxine Reid

The Right One

"Maxie, wake up," Reid said, shaking his little sister.

"Spencer, leave me alone!" Maxine mumbled.

"Breakfast is ready. We can listen to your music while you get ready," Reid said.

"What's for breakfast?" Maxine asked.

"Rock and Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal of course!" Reid said.

"Yumm!" Maxine said. Reid picked her up and spun around before placing her on the floor.

"Go pick what you want for lunch while I find you some clothes for school," Reid said.

"Okay!" Maxine said. Reid found his little sister clothes and placed them on the bed. Ever since their dad died, he took the role as dad for her. He stayed up with her in the middle of the nights when she was a baby and gave up the rest of his teen years for her. People often mistake her for his daughter, but he would never consider himself her father. When she was a baby, she called him 'Daddy', but he makes sure she knows who her daddy really is.

"Ham and cheese sandwich!" Maxine said.

"Okay. Let's go eat breakfast sis," Reid said.
~~~
Reid dropped of Maxine at Burrows Elementary School and started his commute to work. He glanced over at the passenger's seat where Maxine's Disney Princess lunch box was.

"Damn it," Reid muttered. He sighed, knowing his little sister needed her lunch since she had no lunch money. He drove back to the school and parked his car. He grabbed the lunch box and walked into the main office.

"Hello sir," a secretary said.

"Hi. My little sister left her lunch in my car and I need to drop it off," Reid said.

"Sure thing. I just need her name and grade," the secretary said.

"Maxine Reid. She's in the second grade," Reid said.

"Okay. I'll make sure she gets it," the secretary said.

"Thank you," Reid said. He got to his car and drove to work.

"Late today sweet cheeks?" Garcia said.

"Yeah. Max left her lunch box in my car," Reid said. JJ walked past Reid and dropped a file on his desk.

"Hope you don't have plans Spence. We're on our way to Seattle," JJ said. Reid frowned.

"Garcia..." Reid started.

"Consider Maxine picked up at 2:30, homework done by 4, in bed by 8, and dreaming wonderful dreams by 9," Garcia said.

"You're a life saver," Reid said.

"I know," Garcia said.
~~~
3 Days Later

Maxine walked out of her school to find Reid leaning on his car.

"Hey Maxie. Miss me?" Reid asked. Maxine ran over to Reid and hugged him.

"I missed you a lot Spencer!" Maxine said.

"Well come on kiddo. We have some catching up to do," Reid said. Maxine got into the car.

"You got the bad guy?" Maxine asked.

"Yup," Reid said.

"Spencer, do you have a girlfriend?" Maxine asked.

"No, but where's that coming from?" Reid asked.

"This girl said she had a brother your age who was already married, and she said that you probably can't even get a girlfriend. You can get a girlfriend, can't you Spencey?" Maxine asked.

"Maxie, anyone can get a girlfriend or boyfriend. I don't have one because the right girl just hasn't come along," Reid said.

"Okay. So, what do you want for your birthday?" Maxine asked.

"A day off of work," Reid said. Maxine giggled.

"I know just what to get you now," Maxine said.