‹ Prequel: Confessions

Confessions 2

Confessions 2

“Juli…”

“Bri…” Her voice was so low, so quiet. He walked to the side of the bed and laid a hand over hers.

“Oh god… Juli.” And Brian felt the tears that he had been fighting spill over. “Please you can’t leave me.”

“Promise me…” Her voice was shaky as she spoke, “promise me that you’ll never forget…forget me. You’ll move on and find some…someone else.”

“No… Juli you’re gonna make it through this. You have to I need you.”

“Promise me Brian?” Juli said gasping out as her breathing became labored.

“I promise. Juli please don’t let go.”

“I love you Brian.” Juli said in barely a whisper and her hand went limp beneath his and as her eyes closed. Brian wasn’t ashamed as the tears fell hard, hot, and fast down his face.

“I love you Julianne Renee Haner.” Brian whispered as he watched her lay there lifeless.


Brian shot up in bed and looked around. He was in his own room in his house and by the red glow of the clock on his nightstand it was only three in the morning. He sighed. He wanted to blame Nevada, but it wasn’t her fault. Today was Saturday. Somehow in just a week, Matt and Nevada had managed to pull together, with the help of her grandparents, everything for a small wedding. Brian shook his head and moved from the bed, he knew that he wasn’t going to be able to sleep anymore. He hated that he kept reliving Julianne’s last moments every time he went to sleep. He had never forgotten, and had occasionally dreamt of her, but Nevada and Matt getting married had brought it back in a way that he couldn’t fight. All he dreamed of now was Juli. After going to the bathroom he walked down the hall and then down the stairs and into his kitchen. He glanced at the half empty bottle of whiskey on his table. Drinking didn’t seem to help him.

He hadn’t bothered to clean up after eating alone last night. So once he got the coffee started he began to wash the dishes, instead of using the dishwasher, because it took his mind off the fact that he was alone. Zack had Ford, Johnny had Lynsay, and now Matt had not only Nevada, but Katy as well. And Brian, he had no one. Sure if he got lonely he knew that he could always go stay at his parents, but he was currently still pissed off at his father. Once the dishes were done, he sat after making his coffee. He stared at the fridge as he sat there listening to the complete silence of the room. No he thought, not just the room, the house. It was too quiet, and it had been that way for the past four years. Sighing he sipped his coffee and waited until it was a more reasonable hour to get his things and make the drive to LA. Matt and Nevada were getting married in her grandparents back yard.

When Brian arrived it was going on eight AM, and it was to complete chaos. He shook his head and stepped from his SUV.

“Brian, oh thank god, we could use all the help we can get!” He turned and watched the blue eyed red headed twin of his friends soon to be wife rush towards him. He shook his head. He still didn’t believe that she had quit drinking. But the proof was right there. If she was still the partier that she had been, Dakota Nightingale, who looked a little annoyed, would also look completely hung-over, or she would still be drunk, and either just going to bed or still passed out from the night before.

“Sure, at your service.” He said, “As soon as I take this to wherever I need to change later.” He said indicating the garment bag containing his tuxedo for later.

“Inside, up the main staircase, to the second floor, go all the way to the end of the hall and it’s the double doors that’ll be facing you. Once you’re done dropping that off, we need help out back.” Dakota said and took off quickly. He shook his head and followed her directions. When he walked inside however the place was covered in calla lilies, which he happened to know were Nevada’s favorite flower. There were also people every where. Arranging flowers, setting up tables and chairs, that he imagined, would be for the reception. He knew Nevada and Matt had said small and simple, but Candice and Wyatt Nightingale, loved their granddaughter and had moved from the simple to the slightly extravagant, but still small. And apparently, Nevada’s parents weren’t even going to be there.

Ten minutes later Brian walked outback and just stared, there were even more flowers out here, not only the ones that made up parts of the garden, but the arched trellis was being covered in more of the lilies, only these were purple and white. There were people everywhere and in the midst of all of them, Candice stood directing everyone. He knew immediately that she was who he was supposed to talk to. She smiled when she saw him walking towards her. He grinned, thinking immediately of all the times when Nevada had wanted to have cookouts or parties, the woman would let Nevada use the house. And she had always, always loved having Nevada’s friends, in the house. She had once told him that it was something that they had never had with Roger, their son.

“Candice.” He said smiling and hugged her.

“Brian, it’s wonderful to…you look awful, let’s go in and talk.”

“No, lets not. I’m fine, what can I do to help?”

“Go inside and let me talk to you, you shouldn’t be as sad as you are.” Candice said and began to steer him towards the house. “I can see it’s more than just missing your Julianne.” Brian looked at her and stared, his deep brown eyes, wide.

“I’ll be fine. I just miss her is all.” Brian said.

“How are you sleeping Brian?” She asked as she maneuvered him into a chair at the kitchen table.

“Fi…” He sighed and looked at her. “Like shit. I keep flashing back in my sleep to that last day. I was so happy. We’d been together for years, and had finally gotten married, we were happy, she was having a baby. And then there was the accident. I wasn’t there. She was alone. She knew, when I finally talked to her, she knew she was dying. She was just waiting on me to get there to do it.”

“Would it have been easier? If she had been gone before you got there?” Candice asked and sat a steaming mug of coffee in front of him. He didn’t look at her for a moment, but stared into the mug before taking a sip and then quickly looking at her.

“A little shot of whiskey, never hurt, and it always seems to help.” She said quietly.

“It would’ve been worse.” Brian said quietly. “I’m happy for Matt, I really am. Him and Nevada, they’ve always loved one another.” Only Candice noticed that Matt had walked in. The man stayed silent as Brian continued to speak. “God, I want him to be happy. They deserve it, I guess I’m just either really selfish or just an ass, because he has Katy too.”

“You lost your wife and child Brian, it’s only natural that it hurts…”

“No one would blame you if you were pissed Bri.” Matt said finally speaking up. Brian watched him walk into the room. He wore jeans and a t-shirt. “We’re not trying to make you…”

“No, I know, I just… it’s hard. I guess I’m just jealous. You have what I lost.” Brian said. He pushed the mug away, he hadn’t taken more than that one sip. “You and Nevada and Katy deserve to be happy. I’m glad you are, because you were just fucking miserable even if you didn’t know it. I’ll be fine.”

“Just remember, if you need to talk, or if you need to leave today, you’ve got me and the guys, and we won’t mind if you leave.”

“I’m not going anywhere, two of my friends are about to get married. And knowing that scares the hell out of you, I’m sticking.” Brian said and finally for the first time that morning smiled.

“Well, now that you boys are done talking, we need help outside, chairs and tables need set up. Grandma is on the phone with the company that was supposed to run the bar for the reception and the hour before the wedding, apparently there was a mix up and grandma isn’t happy.” Dakota said. She didn’t care either way, because she wouldn’t be drinking. Nevada had however, made sure there was some sparkling grape juice, for her and for Katy. The trio walked outside and watched as Candice hung up the phone.

“Well, see if I ever hire them for anything ever again. Apparently they’ve had a mix up or something and double booked. Now, I don’t…”

“I’ll call my dad.” Brian said and pulled out his cell phone.

“I don’t know what your father could do.” Candice said to Brian. But he just shushed her to her, Dakota’s and Matt’s astonishment.

“Hey Dad, I have a favor.” Brian said before his dad could speak when he answered the phone.

What kind of favor?” And as Brian explained it his father sighed on the other end and began trying to figure out if he could manage it.

“Tell him I can have the liquor delivered and all I really need are a few people who know what the hell they’re doing. If that helps any. Oh and everything needed to make the drinks of course, I’ve enough glasses and things.” But Brian just waved a hand at her and turned to continue his conversation with his father.

“I can spare three people, and can get everything you need, there by two is that good enough?”

“Yes, what about you Dad, are you coming?”

“We’ll now I have to don’t I?” He said and hung up the phone. Suzy and his brothers were going to be there, as well as his sister, his Dad had decided not to come. Now he had no choice.

“He’ll be here by two. No need to go out of your way and worry about what should have already been taken care of.” Brian said and she smiled at him. It seemed his mind was no longer completely on his wife.

“Oh, well I do need a few bottles of sparkling grape juice.” Candice said. “For Dakota, McKenna, Katy, and Ileana , Katy’s best friend.”

“I’ll call Suzy and have her pick some up on her way here. She won’t mind.” Brian said and now that he was occupied with that and the list that Candice had given him he wasn’t thinking of Julianne.

“Smart Candice.” Matt said and moved off to help with everything else. He had gently argued with Nevada about it, and had told her she would spend the day relaxing and leaving everything to him and her grandparents. He found Dakota about two hours later and she turned.

“What Matt, I’m busy.”

“It’s time for you to get going. You need to meet up with Nevada and Ford, I promised I’d make you leave.” Matt said and she narrowed her eyes.

“But, I’ve still got flowers to deal with and the caterers not due with the cake until noon…”

“It’s ten, go, ‘Kota, she wants you with her today, we’ve got it under control. See, here come Johnny, Zack, and J.B. We’ll be fine. Now go. Keep her sane.” Matt said and Dakota sighed reluctantly. That was one thing that she hated about being a female, if she could’ve managed she’d have worn her best pair of jeans and a t-shirt that night and her hair in a hair tie.

Dakota sighed as she walked into the salon thirty minutes later. Nevada looked at her and moved quickly to hug her. And that she decided was why she was doing this. She had her sister back.

“Please tell me everything is going to be fine, and nothing is going to happen to ruin today.” Nevada said and Katy who was sitting in a chair getting her hair done pretty like her mom’s grinned at her Aunt. Dakota decided against mentioning that Confessions was now going to be running the Bar that night.

“Everything’s under control. Nothing’s going to ruin the day. The suns shining and supposed to stay that way and the house smells like a beautiful forest of flowers. And the man you plan on marrying is trying not to think about you so that he can do what he needs to do, oh that and well, he wants you happy today.”

“He’s not thinking it’s a mistake?” Nevada asked quietly as Katy laughed when the hairdresser slipped a pink silk flower into her prettily done up hair.

“Hell no, he’s over seeing what’s left to do and when he mentioned you he smiled at just the thought of you. Now, do I really have to get my hair done?” Dakota said putting a hand to her hair. “Can’t I just get a few inches taken off and wear it down?”

“Aunt ’Kota’s silly.” Katy said and Dakota sighed.

“Alright, torture me, but only because I love you and it’s your wedding.”

“You can wear your hair anyway you want it when you get married. Today, it’s how I want it.”

“If I ever get married, it’s going to be in jeans and a t-shirt and most likely in Vegas, but that’s never going to happen, because I don’t plan on getting married.” Dakota said and Ford shook her head. Her black hair was covered in foil as she was getting it streaked, which she had planned on doing but never gotten around to, and Nevada had just sighed and said as long as she wore her hair to match the others, she didn’t care what color it was. Ford was putting Purple and Pink in it. It was already dyed black anyways.

“Oh god, I really can’t believe that today’s the day.” Nevada said as she sat and Melanie worked on her hair. “I’m finally getting what I’ve always wanted.” Ford smiled from where she sat under the dryers.

“Thank god, now I don’t have to see that hurt look in your eye every time you see a picture of the man.”

“Shut up Ford.” Nevada said laughing and at that moment Dakota realized that this was worth it. Because her sister, who hadn’t smiled in only god knew how long, was smiling. Nevada was happy, and that made Dakota happy, even though she would never admit that she was jealous of her twin sister.

By four O’clock that evening everything was set up and Matt was watching as Nevada moved down the aisle towards him. Katy Rose had lead the way, Dakota and Ford behind her, and now the most beautiful of them all was about to be his.

----

He didn’t know why but the entire ceremony Brian found himself watching Dakota. She looked like she was torn between being happy and being annoyed, but she kept the smile on her face as her sister and Matt said their vows and when the couple walked down the aisle as husband and wife, he could tell that she was forcing the smile to stay on her face. Once they were all inside he began trying to figure a way into getting her alone to ask her what was wrong. He didn’t know why but he felt the need to talk to her. Brian found the perfect opportunity when Katy sat cuddled on her dad’s lap, talking animatedly to her mom. Brian suddenly felt like his heart was ripped out of his chest. He pulled a cigarette out and headed out the door. He wouldn’t leave, just get some air. He glanced around the room as he walked signaling to Ford that he was only stepping outside. She nodded and leaned across Zack to say something quietly to Matt.

Brian stepped out onto the balcony that overlooked the front lawn of the Nightingale’s Estate. He noticed immediately that he wasn’t alone. Dakota turned when she heard the click of Brian’s lighter. He raised an eyebrow at the cigarette in the red head’s hand. He said nothing as he moved next to her and leaned on the railing. She turned back to look out over the lawn. They stood there in silence watching people spill out of the house and onto the lawn. Brian watched his little sister, Ileana, and Katy take off in a impromptu game of tag. He sighed.

“Hurts, watching them don’t it?” Dakota asked still not looking at him.

“How would you know?”

“Something not many people know about me; I was pregnant before that last run in rehab. Nevada, she didn’t even know.”

“What happened?”

“I lost it, I was too drunk, obviously stupid enough to be drinking, while pregnant. At the time I didn’t care. I was three months. The accident I was in killed the baby, and that’s when I decided to get clean for good.”

“Is that when you started smoking?” When she laughed he turned to look at her. She was suddenly smiling.

“Yeah it is, I don’t normally smoke this much, but being around the alcohol like this is killing me.”

“I wish it were that simple.” Brian said and they lapsed into silence the giggling of the three girls on the lawn drifting up to them. Brian watched as McKenna looked up at him and stopped running and waved while yelling his name. He waved back, acknowledging her and forced a smile. She went back to her game of tag.

“Hey ‘Kota, there you are.” Dakota turned as Nevada walked out. She looked beautiful in the dress she wore.

“Hey ‘Vada.” Dakota kept her hands on behind her on the rail. Brian caught the action of her hiding her cigarette from her sister and turned, keeping his left hand out of sight and leaned back casually and plucked the cigarette from her hand. She only tensed as their hands brushed. He ignored it and flicked the ashes before bringing the cigarette to his lips. It was probably a good thing that his was gone already.

“What are the two of you doing out here?” Nevada asked raising an eyebrow.

“Watching the kids play?” Dakota asked questionably. When her sister just crossed her arms over her chest she sighed. “I came out to get some air. It’s too tempting in there.”

“Ahh, that explains it. And you’re excuse for being out here?” Nevada asked and Brian glanced at the red head that he was currently standing beside sensing what Nevada obviously thought.

“I stepped out for a smoke, she was already out here, we were watching the girls play tag.” Thank god, he hadn’t lied. Which meant she wouldn’t know the whole truth.

“Okay, well Grandma’s looking for you Dakota, and Matt wants a word with you Brian.” She turned to walk back inside. “Before we leave.” She tossed back over her shoulder. Dakota and Brian rolled their eyes and he stabbed out what was left of Dakota’s cigarette and walked inside a few moments after her. When he found Matt it, he was surrounded by the rest of the guys. The rest consisting of some of their close friends, like James, and Alex.

“Nevada said you were looking for me?” Brian asked walking up.

“Just wanted to make sure that you were still here, and not completely trashed.” Matt said.

“Please, like I would get completely trashed here. I’ll do that at home tonight.”

“Thank’s for being here Bri.” Matt said looking at him, knowing how much it was killing the man.

“I know it meant a lot to you and Nevada. I wouldn’t put myself through it for just anyone.” Brian said. The others laughed.

“Why don’t we take you out and get you smashed tonight Brian?” Alex asked. “Have a guys night?”

“You guys are welcome to, but Ford and I have to get Katy settled in for the next three weeks.” Zack said as he watched his girlfriend walk towards them. When she smiled at him he grinned. Brian wished he hadn’t left his second pack of cigarettes in his SUV.

“Like Ford doesn’t have everything she needs there already.” Johnny muttered.

“Shut up.” Zack said and Brian just shook his head.

“Actually, I think I just need to be alone tonight. But thanks guys.”

“You need anything Brian, just call one of us.” Alex said. Brian saw the pain in Alex’s eyes as well. After all it had been his sister that Brian had loved and married.

“I’ll keep that in mind. Have fun the next few weeks Matt, when you’re ass gets back, it’s back to work.” And Brian pulled his keys out of his pocket and thanked his lucky stars that Candice had let him park in the family garage, otherwise he would have to wait to get out of there because of their friends cars. There may have only been about thirty people there, but most of them were single, plus when you added in the people that had catered, and the staff, there were more cars than he would’ve been able to get people to move. Once in his SUV, he was gone within in minutes. He needed out of there.

“Nevada, really, I need to go, I’ve got work tonight…”

“Why you would work on the day I get married I don’t fucking know, but be careful. I love you sis.”

“You love everyone today.” Dakota muttered, but hugged her sister tight anyways. “I’m glad you’re happy Nevada.” Dakota said pulling away.

“I wish you would tell me what was wrong ‘Kota.” Nevada said quietly as her twin walked away. She turned when she heard Katy squeal. She smiled as Matt swing their daughter in a circle before kissing her nose.

“I love you Daddy.” Katy said and Nevada moved to them.

“I love you too Katy, and look, here comes the most prettiest woman in the house.” Nevada rolled her eyes.

“Daddy, says I’m the prettiest girl.” Katy said as Nevada joined them.

“Yeah? I bet Daddy, doesn’t realize he’s just as pretty as we are.” Nevada told her daughter and as Katy started to giggle Matt could only stare at his wife. She glanced at him and smirked.

----

Brian sat on his porch that night a bottle of whisky on the table beside him, untouched. He had brought it out, and then realized he didn’t want it so he just left it sitting there. He was trying not to think about anything. When a deep red mustang pulled into his drive he shook his head and stood to see who was there. When Dakota stepped out of the car he stared. She was no longer in the dress she had worn for the wedding, but in a pair of low rise skinny jeans, a halter top as red as her car, and her hair was still up the way it had been for the wedding. She was wearing a pair of red peep toe pumps that matched her top. He swallowed. She had crossed his mind a few times since he had left LA, but now here she was; and she looked like Sin.

“Are you lost?” He asked watching her walk towards him. She only smiled.

“Nope, I’m where I intended to end up.”

“And why did you intend to end up here?”

“Because, you and me are going out. We both need it, and since I want to dance, we have to go to a club, which means, I need someone to make sure I’m not tempted.”

“So call Ford, you’re walking dangerous ground Dakota.”

“Maybe I want to.” She said joining him on the porch. She took his cigarette from him, that he suddenly couldn’t remember lighting and took a long, slow hit. Her eyes never once leaving his.

“Let me lock the door.” He said and she grinned as she leaned back against the rail as he took the bottle he had carried out earlier inside and put it away and ran up to change his shirt. When he came back down he locked the door behind him and raised an eyebrow as she tossed him her keys. She said nothing and lead the way to the car.

When they arrived at Confessions, she only raised an eyebrow at him. He shrugged and got out as she did. She walked around the hood, and he took her hand, leading her in. Dakota caught some of her sisters friends and former co workers staring at her. She glanced at Brian.

“They think I’m Nevada.”

“They should know better, what are you drinking?”

“Just tell Aidan it’s for me, he’ll get me what I like out of whatever they have.” He nodded and walked towards the bar as she moved to a two person table. Aidan watched him move towards the bar and when he got there he set a bottle of Dr. Pepper on the bar and just raised an eyebrow at Brian.

“Let’s just leave it at a Corona for now.” Brian said and Aidan passed both drinks across the bar. Aidan watched Brian walk across the room and watched Dakota smile as she took the soda he handed her. She raised it in acknowledgement to Aidan who nodded and went back to work.

“I didn’t even have to tell him who I was with.” Brian said as he took a sip of his beer.

“That’s because, he knows me and ‘Vada. He knows she would never cheat, let alone on the day she got married.”

“Got a thing for him?” Brian asked glancing at the red head sitting across from him.

“Nope, he’s married, but he’s always been nice to me. Helped me through behind Nevada’s back when she quit talking to me. Him and Jewel let me stay with them for a couple of months after I got out of rehab. Him and Jewel are the only other two beside’s yourself that know about the baby.”

“I’m not going to tell.”

“Good, I trust you not to.”

“Thanks, I think.” Dakota only shook her head. They sat there listening to the music for a moment and then she screwed the cap back on her soda and looked at him.

“Dance with me.”

“Do I have to?”

“Yes.” Dakota said and Jewel picked that moment to pass the table and took ‘Kota’s soda so that it stayed closed. Aidan stood at the bar and watched Brian finish his drink and then take Dakota’s hand leading her to the dance floor as Beautiful Dangerous started to play. Brian pulled her close as they danced and the time that they spent dancing to the song, made him want to spend the rest of the night there, with her in his arms. When the song ended she looked up at him as he drew her in as Wait For You started. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he smiled before resting his forehead against hers. When she smiled he placed a kiss to her forehead and when the song was over he lead her from the dance floor and back to their table. They sat and Jewel appeared with another beer and Dakota’s soda.

----

Dakota laughed as she walked with Brian into his house. He grinned at her and locked the door after they were inside. He made his way to the living room and she followed, kicking off her heels as she went. A moment later they were both studying his selection of movies. Dakota smiled when she saw one she hadn’t seen in a very long time. She pulled out Wild, Wild West. Brian glanced over at her as she handed it to him and he nodded and turned everything on. Once the movie was in he joined her on the couch and she smiled as she curled into him. He hit play and a moment later his arm was around her and he actually grinned as he pulled her just a little bit closer to him.

By the time the movie was over he realized that he had enjoyed her company and liked being with her like this. He glanced at her and noticed that she was really sleepy.

“Do you want to crash in a spare room here? You don’t look awake enough to drive, and it’s no wonder at that, it’s going on four am.”

“I don’t have anything to wear to bed, I’ll manage getting home.”

“I’d rather you not drive, not as tired as you are. I’ve got a shirt you can sleep in.”

“Okay, but if I stay…” She trailed off and he found he wanted the same thing she did.

“…you can sleep in my room with me.” She bit her lip as she followed him to the stairs. Once they were in his room he found her a shirt to wear and she moved to the bathroom to change. He stripped and pulled on pajama pants before she walked back out his shirt stopping mid thigh on her. She smiled, just a little bit shyly, but joined him as they both crawled into the bed. She only hesitated a second before she curled into him and with in minutes they were both asleep.

It was the phone ringing at nine that woke them both. Brian reached out and grabbed the phone as Dakota grumbled about it as she slowly woke up. He was laying on his back with her using his chest as a pillow, and his arm around her.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s nine, and I can’t reach Dakota, I was going to remind her that she’s babysitting at noon, but I’ve called Johnny and he hasn’t seen her, and neither has her grandparents, she’s not answering her phone. Her parents said they didn’t give a shit where she was. Brian I’m worried about her. Yesterday she looked like…”

“Chill Ford. Dakota’s…” He looked at the woman now watching him and she smiled at him. “She’s fine.”

“What do you mean she’s fine…oh!”

“It’s not like that Ford. We went out last night and she was too tired to drive home.”

“Wait, you’re not being pissy about a being woken up this early…so you’re not hung-over…”

“Give me the phone Bri.” Dakota said as she sat up and he handed it to her as he sat as well, only to lean back against the head board and pull her to him.

“Ford, I know I have to baby-sit, I’ll be there. No, I didn’t drink last night.”

“So you two went out as friends? But wait I woke Brian up…”

“Ford, I’ll see you at noon.” And Dakota hung up the phone. Brian laughed and took it from her putting it back on it’s charger. Her eyes met his and they moved slowly, his lips gently touching hers. She succumbed to the kiss let him take her under. He pulled her into his lap and slowly deepened the kiss as her arms circled around his neck and he placed his hands on her hips as they pulled apart.

“Will you go out with me tonight?” Brian asked not even having to think if it was the right thing to say at that moment.

“Yeah.”

“Dinner?”

“Sounds good.”

“I’ll pick you up this time. We’ll go into LA.”

“Bri, I live…”

“I know. It’ll be worth it I promise.”

“Okay.” She said smiling and they both moved from the bed.

----

Dakota walked into Ford’s at around eleven thirty. Ford raised an eyebrow at her and all she could do was grin.

“What?” Dakota asked.

“You spent the night at Brian’s?”

“Nothing happened. We watched a movie and went to sleep. I was too tired to drive. At least according to him.”

“Yeah, okay, you shared a bed… this is Brian we’re talking about…”

“Nothing happened Ford, now, what time are you going to be home?”

“Why? Got a hot date?” Ford asked joking as she lead the way back to the kitchen.

“As a matter of fact…” Ford spun around to look at her. And just stared.

“You’re kidding?”

“No.”

“Where are you going?”

“Dinner in LA.”

“Wow…”

“Shut up.”

“I’ll be back by four. I’ll try to make it earlier.”

“Okay, if you’re not back by three thirty, I’m taking her to my place, so you’ll have to pick her up there.”

“Fine…”

“He’s not a total ass you know.” Dakota said as Ford walked from the room.

“I never said he was.” was the only response she got.

True to her word, Dakota, left at three thirty taking Katy with her. Katy talked the whole way to Long Beach and it didn’t bother Dakota at all. When they got there she laughed as her niece ran straight to the door to her apartment.

“Ford should be here in about thirty or forty minutes Katy.” Dakota said as she unlocked the door.

“Okay Aunt ‘Kota. Can I help you pick out what you’re wearing tonight? Mommy lets me help her pick out her clothes sometimes.” The five year old said as she ran down the hall.

“Sure.” Dakota, was in a really good mood at the moment, and she was thinking about the fact that she felt alive when she was with him. She hadn’t felt that way in a very long time.

----

Brian thought about her as he drove. Being with her, he felt whole again. He liked the way he felt when he was with her, and he felt like himself again. For the first time in several years he felt like the old Brian. The true Brian. He pulled into her complex just as Ford did. She had gotten held up at her parents house and was really annoyed. She parked and Brian said nothing as he got out of his SUV moments after she made the sidewalk.

“Long way from home Ford.” He said by way of greeting as they walked to Dakota’s door.

“Same could be said for you.” Ford turned her head to look at him. Took in the dark jeans, and black button down shirt. She shook her head. “And just what would my second favorite guitarist be doing in Long Beach?”

“Picking up my date.” Brian said smirking. Ford rolled her eyes.

“It’s good to see you smile Brian.” She said and knocked yelling out as she walked in. “Dakota, Katy, I’m here, and I ran into a certain idiot, that thinks he can play guitar!”

“Ford!” Katy said running out. She launched herself at her and Ford picked her up. “Aunt ‘Kota will be out in a minute.” she said turning to look at Brian. He nodded.

“I think I’ll just stay a few minutes and see the two of you off.” Ford said. Brian rolled his eyes. Katy just started talking.

“I got to help her pick out her outfit, and everything, like Mommy used to let me help her get dressed for work and stuff!”

“Really? Did you have fun with your Aunt today Katy?”

“Mhmm, I like when she’s happy!” Ford looked at the child. Brian did as well. “She’s been a lot happier since Mommy started being happy again, but she was really happy today! I like her better this way. She’s even nicer to me.” Ford and Brian both laughed and Brian reached out and ruffled Katy’s hair just as Dakota walked out. She watched as Katy moved to Brian’s arms and her heart fluttered in her chest. Her eyes softened and when he looked up and saw her standing there he smiled at her. Ford just shook her head and took Katy so that the two of them could leave.

----

Three weeks later Matt walked into his house, Nevada beside him and sighed.

“What time is Ford bringing Katy home?” he asked looking at his wife.

“She’s not, Dakota has her.” Nevada said looking at Matt, and then glancing at the clock on the wall. “She’s bringing her by sometime in the next hour or so.”

“Okay. I really missed her.”

“It’s the longest I’ve been away from her.” Nevada admitted. Matt saw the look in her eyes.

“She’ll be home soon.” Matt said wrapping his arms around her. She smiled up at him and let him kiss her. When they pulled back they walked back outside to get the last few things that they had left on the porch. They both glanced up when an SUV pulled in. “Brian’s here…” Matt said trailing off as Katy got out of the back seat.

“Why’s Katy… wait a minute is that ‘Kota?” Nevada asked as she watched her twin get out and then walk to the door that Katy had left open and grab the bag that was on the seat, as Brian walked to the porch.

“And just why are my daughter and sister with you Haner?” Nevada asked.

“Because they are?” He asked, but he was smiling.

“Okay, how sober where you two when you first hooked up?” Matt asked after Katy had run inside. And despite the fact that her twin had been clean for three years Nevada was agreeing with Matt’s question.

“That’s something I want the answer to as well.” Nevada Sanders said crossing her arms over her chest.

“Chill out Nevada.” Dakota said joining them. Brian wrapped his arm around her waist and she leaned into him.

“We’re waiting on an answer here.” Matt said.

“I’ve had a grand total of maybe five beers in the past week, and two shots of whisky.” Brian said.

“And I’m still not drinking alcohol, so I’ve been sober the entire time you’ve been gone as well, and as for the rest…” She glanced sideways at Brian.

“We haven’t slept together.” He finished. Matt and Nevada stared at him.

“Well we have, just not that way.” Dakota said grinning.

“So the two of you are…?”

“We’re together.” Brian said answering Matt’s question. Nevada just shook her head.

“You’re all smiles Dakota… as long as your happy.” and then she hugged her sister. Matt shook his head at his wife but turned leading the way inside when Katy called for him.

---- 4 Months later ----

Brian shook his head as Dakota smiled at him. She moved towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I love you Brian.”

“I love you too Dakota.” He said and pressed his lips to hers. She rested her head against his chest and smiled. Brian held her and they both glanced at the clock. Their heads turned as they heard Nevada, Matt, Candice, Wyatt, Brian Sr., Suzy, McKenna, Jon, Brent, Ford, Zack, Johnny, and his girlfriend. Nevada rested a hand on her three months pregnant stomach as she shook her head at her sister.

“I can’t believe the two of you are actually doing this.” Nevada said.

“Of course they are.” Matt muttered.

“She always said…” Ford trailed off only for Dakota to narrow her eyes at her. Brian just shook his head. He looked at his father.

“Glad you came.”

“Wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Brian Sr. said, then moved forward to hug his son. “I’m glad you’re happy Brian.”

“We all are. But did it have to be my sister?” Nevada asked. Dakota shook her head and smacked her sister.

“Hey no hitting the pregnant person.” Nevada said smacking Dakota back.

“Same goes.” Dakota said and everyone, save for Brian stared at her.

“Wait what?” Ford asked.

“Dakota’s two months pregnant.” Brian said and he was grinning like an idiot. Nevada just shook her head and moved to hug her sister.

“Congratulations.” Suzy said and a moment later they all found themselves in the middle of a rather large group hug.

“C’mon, lets go watch these idiots get married.” Nevada said. Her eyes met Dakota’s and the twins both smiled.

It wasn’t until after the couple was married that Nevada realized that her sister was only a month behind her in pregnancy, but already showing a teeny bit.

“Wait, are you sure you’re two months?” Nevada asked as they walked into the restaurant they were eating at afterwards.

“I’m sure, but, I’m having twins…” Everyone stared at her as they waited to be seated. Katy was standing beside her Dad and just listening to what her Aunt and Mom were talking about.

“Twins, as in, two little ones with Brian’s DNA running around?” Brent asked her. Dakota grinned.

“Yes.”

“God save us.” Jon said. Matt laughed and Brian shook his head.

“I’ll be a good father thank you very much.” Brian said.

“I know you will honey.” Dakota told him.

“Well, that’s all that matters, as long as you know I will.”

“I love you Brian Elwin Haner Jr..” She said looking up into his eyes.

“I love you Dakota Deidre Haner.” And she grinned as he lowered his lips once more to hers. She loved the way her name sounded mixed with his.

“Both of our girls are happy.” Candice said as Wyatt took her hand.

“And glowing with it.” Ford said laughing. Zack smiled at her and glanced down at her left hand, where a simple diamond rested. They would wait until later to let everyone know that they were getting married.

“Of course their glowing, they’re pregnant!” Suzy said laughing. As they were shown into a table.

“And if you think about it,” Dakota said once they were seated and she had glanced pointedly at her sister, “we’re both where we are now because of one little confession
♠ ♠ ♠
Beautiful Dangerous - Fergie & Slash
wait For You - Atreyu

Lovez && Hugz && DeathBatKisses
xSweet.Afterlifex

Post Song:
All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley