The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Nine: Somebody

XAVIER


I leaned in closer and closer until our lips touched. It was magical. Electric sparks shot off her tongue, causing immense pleasure for me. I had to fight the temptation to moan.

“Damn, Xavier, you’re gonna suck her face off,” Kurt said, smirking and looking like him and Cookie just did a quickie in the car.

Bunny was panting and grinning. “Well, ’bye, boys,” Cookie said quickly, pushing Bunny inside her home. “See you around, Kurt.” She winked at him. Then she slammed the door in our face.

“So… Did you get laid?” I asked as we walked back to Kurt’s car.

“I wish,” he muttered.

* * * * * *


I was noticing every little thing about Bunny. Ever since that wonderful kiss with her, I couldn’t help but think about her. That sprinkle of freckles across her cheekbones and nose. The way she peeled the crust off her bread, but ate it anyway. The way she sometimes snorted when she laughed.

“Xavier!” Kurt yelled to get my attention. “Come on.” He nudged me with his shoulder in the direction of Bunny and Cookie. “Let’s go sit with our girls.”

I nodded, and followed him to my mate. “Hey, Bunny.” I grinned at her.

“Hi.” She smiled shyly.

“How are you?” I asked, mesmerized by her honey brown eyes.

“Good. You?”

“Good.”

There was an awkward silence. I couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Uh, Bunny and I were just talking about her Sweet Sixteen,” Cookie said, smiling. “Her dad’s hiring acrobats.”

Bunny blushed and nodded. “They’re also hiring a professional stuntman.”

“Wow,” I said, smiling. “What exactly do your parents do?”

“My dad’s a doctor.”

“And your mom’s a supermodel/actress,” Cookie said, rolling her brown eyes. “Don’t be shy around your boyfriend, Bunny.”

She blushed. “It’s not something I like talking about,” she murmured to Cookie.

“Bunny, it’s no big deal,” Cookie murmured back.

We pretended to be oblivious to the fact that we could hear every word with our werewolf hearing.

“So, when’s your Sweet Sixteen?” Kurt asked.

“Two weeks,” she said, her cheeks turning a light pink. “Will you two be coming?”

“Yeah, of course,” I said as Kurt nodded around a huge bite of his chicken sandwich. “Wouldn’t miss it.” I flashed her a smile, and watched in delight as her cheeks reddened.

“Awesome!” Cookie exclaimed. “Oh, and I’ll need you two to pass out flyers. Bunny’s party is an open-invite.”

“My parents say that it’s a big moment in my life that needs to be celebrated.” Bunny shrugged nonchalantly, but I could see the flash of excitement in her eyes. “So they’re basically forcing me to invite everyone.”

I immediately thought of Candy and Tanner. Surely they weren’t heartless enough as to ruin Bunny’s Sweet Sixteen. Maybe they won’t let them in, I thought hopefully.

“Yeah, we’d love to help,” Kurt said, kicking me under the table to gain my attention once more. “Anything for you girls.” He flashed Cookie a smile, making her giggle flirtatiously.

Bunny looked awkward sitting between the two, nibbling slowly on her sandwich as she glanced nervously between them.

She took a sip out of her juice box. Wait—a juice box? What is this? Kindergarten? I secretly wondered if maybe her and Trey’s lunches had been switched by mistake.

“Oh, and also, it’s a costume party. Dress your best.” She gave us a nervous smile.

“Cool,” I said. “I’ll have to dig around for a costume soon, I guess.”

She took another sip from her juice box. “You look like a freaking Kindergartener,” Cookie said, rolling her eyes. “You need to quit letting your dad pack your lunch.”

She nibbled some more on her sandwich. “But he’s always offering.”

Cookie glared playfully. “Bunny, what is that?” She pointed to a bag of Disney princess chicken nuggets.

“Chicken nuggets.” She looked confusedly at Cookie. “What’s the big deal about chicken nuggets?”

“Those are Disney princess chicken nuggets, whose targeted consumer is five year old girls.

“So? It’s food.”

Cookie looked at her like she was crazy. “We’re never gonna be popular.” Cookie buried her head in her hands dramatically.

“I don’t want to be popular.”

“You don’t know what you want, Bunny.” She sighed. “Can I have your cheese stick?” Bunny handed her the cheese stick that was decorated with the Finding Nemo characters.

God, my girlfriend had a dad that babied her.

* * * * * *


I parked in front of Bunny’s house. “Here we are,” I said, killing the engine.

“Thank you for driving me home, Xavier.” She smiled genuinely at me.

I smiled back. “No problem, Bunny.”

“Would you like to come in?” she asked shyly. “My mom really wants to meet you.” She blushed.

“I wish I could, but I’ve actually got plans with my family.” I looked at her sadly.

“Oh, okay.” She chewed on her lip nervously. “So, you’re still coming to my party, right?”

I nodded. “’Course.”

She nodded. She looked up at me, and glanced quickly away. I got the hint, though. She wanted to kiss me. I waited in silence as she seemed to argue with herself about kissing me. I wished that she would hurry up and decide. I really needed to get home.

“Well, goodnight, Xavier.” She opened the door to my truck.

“Goodnight, Bunny.”

She stood up. Then, fast as lightning (for a human), she had crashed her lips against mine. I sank into it with ease. She pulled away too soon, panting. I was a little breathless from all the sparks, too. We looked at each other for the longest time.

“Bunny! Is that you?” her mother, I’m assuming, yelled from the porch.

“Yeah, mom,” Bunny yelled in reply. “I’ll be there in a minute.” She looked at me. “See you at school.”

I nodded.

* * * * * *


“Where were you?” my younger brother, Joey, asked.

“None of your business,” I said crisply.

“You were with your girlfriend, weren’t you?” Joey pestered.

I glared at him. “So what, Joey? If I was with my girlfriend then don’t you think it’s my business?”

“So you were with her!”

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, so I was with Bunny. Why aren’t I telling my brother this? Because then he’ll want to meet her, and I don’t really want her to meet him. Don’t ask.

“When can we meet her?” he asked excitedly.

“Never,” I said without thinking. “Now go do your chores.”

He pouted as he left to do his chores.

“Garrett.” I looked at my other brother as he tried walking past me with his science fair project.

He looked up at me as he tried balancing the project on his knee. “Hey, Xavier.”

“Where’s mom and dad?”

He readjusted his glasses. “It got worse.” He looked at me with pity. “They’re spending the night at the hospital.”