The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Twelve: Perfect

I was going to lose her.

All I had been doing was helping Cookie out. Just goes to show where being the good guy takes you.

“What do we do now?” Cookie asked sadly as Candy and them walked away, laughing.

“Bunny will believe us if we explain everything to her,” I reassured. “Where is she?”

“In gym.”

“Then let’s go find her.”

Cookie nodded, and we started walking toward the gymnasium. Cookie seemed very upset. She looked at me hopefully, and I realized that she had just come up with a plan to save my relationship with Bunny, and, ultimately, their friendship.

“If I can get into the locker room, I can delete the picture off of Bunny’s phone.”

That seemed like a great plan. I picked the lock on the girls’ locker room. Then Cookie went in, and quickly returned with Bunny’s pink phone.

She looked at me, white as a sheet as she said, “I don’t know Bunny’s password.” She sat down, and buried her face in her hands. “I don’t know what I’m going to do without her!” She started crying.

I thought about it for a moment. If I was Bunny, what would my password to my phone be? “Try 2869.”

She pushed the buttons. “Wow, it worked.” She quickly found the picture of us exiting the janitor’s closet. “And…delete.

We high-fived.

“There’s my phone!” Bunny said, snatching it out of Cookie’s hands. “Thanks, Cookie. I thought I lost it.”

I sighed with relief. My mate would never suspect us to be doing something we shouldn’t.

“So, Bunny,” I said, flashing her a smile, “would you like to do something this Friday?”

She nodded eagerly. “Sure.” She grinned at me. “See you then.”

Her and Cookie linked arms before walking away. Ah, that’s my girl.

* * * * * *


I was driving over to Bunny’s. I was nervous. What if I met her mom? Or worse, her dad? God, I hated meeting dads. They always scared me.

I walked up the porch steps, and knocked on the door. Trey opened the door.

“Oh, it’s you.”

“Nice to see you, too,” I said teasingly.

“BUNNY! Your boyfriend’s here!” Trey yelled as he let me in. I winced at the volume.

Bunny came running down the steps, smiling. She looked amazing. A red dress that flattered her figure and clung to every curve. She was wearing heels, too, which added about two inches to her regular height.

“You look…beautiful,” I said, dazed by how gorgeous she looked.

She blushed. “You look pretty good yourself.”

I actually felt underdressed in my jeans and t-shirt. I wrapped an arm around her waist, and escorted her to my truck that seemed misplaced in the fancy neighborhood. It seemed like I didn’t belong with Bunny’s lifestyle.

I opened the door to my truck, and Bunny hopped in with a, “Thank you.” I hopped in myself, and prayed that my truck would work. With all the medical bills, I didn’t have the money to get it checked like I usually did. Lucky for me, my old truck decided to work for my date. We peeled out of the subdivision.

“So,” Bunny said, fiddling with the bottom of her dress, “what are we doing tonight?”

I got nervous again. What if she didn’t like my plans? “Uh, I was thinking dinner and a movie.”

“That sounds like fun.” She smiled genuinely at me. “What movie?”

“Uh, whichever you’d like.”

“Hmm,” she thought aloud. “How about that new comedy that just came out? The one with Jennifer Aniston.”

I nodded. That movie looked good. “Sounds like a plan.”

She smiled. “Great.” There was an awkward silence. “I hear it’s supposed to be good. It’s gotten really good reviews.”

“Has it? I really haven’t been paying attention to it.”

“Yeah. I think it’s supposed to be movie of the year or something.”

“Cool,” I said, nodding. “Then we’re contributing to it.”

She giggled. “Yeah, I guess.”

There was another silence. “Did you watch the Super Bowl?”

“Yep. Did you?”

“Yep.” Another silence that didn’t last very long like the other two. “Did you see that safety during the third quarter?”

“Yeah, that was epic.”

“Oh, and that interception.”

“Which one?”

“The second one in the third quarter.”

“Yeah, that was cool how he practically stole it out of his hands.”

She nodded in agreement. “And it was just an all-around awesome game.”

I nodded. “Here we are,” I said, parking near the entrance to the restaurant.

“Olive Garden?”

“Do you not like it?” I asked, worried that I was ruining our first official date.

“No, I love the Olive Garden.” She giggled.

I grinned as I helped her out of my truck. I wrapped my arm around her waist as we entered the restaurant.

“Hi, and welcome to the Olive Garden,” an overly perky waitress greeted. She looked awfully familiar…

Oh, crap. It was my ex-girlfriend, Kylie. She had dark hair that was cut into a bob, and hazel eyes. She was sweet that first three months, but after that she started getting too clingy for me. She still had a thing for me, and had ruined nearly all of my relationships after her.

“Xavier!” Kylie said happily. “And…”

“Bunny,” she said. “You two know each other?” She gave me a look that said, You better have a good explanation for why she just shot me a nasty look.

“Do you two have a reservation?” Kylie asked.

“Yes,” I said. “Michaels.”

She nodded crisply and flashed me a warm smile. She led us to our table. She bumped shoulders with Bunny as she passed.

“Let me guess: Ex-girlfriend?” she asked as we sat down.

“A very clingy ex-girlfriend,” I grumbled. “She’s out to haunt me.”

Bunny giggled. “I don’t think she’ll be much of a problem.”

I honestly hoped not.

Kylie came back with our salad and bread. I expected her to dump the salad on Bunny’s head, but she didn’t. Maybe this would finally be the moment when Kylie left me alone.

“Would you like some cheese on your salad?” Kylie asked politely.

I looked at Bunny. She was the one who was probably going to eat most of it. “Yes, please,” she said.

Then Kylie sprinkled cheese on Bunny’s head. Bunny looked dazed by what just happened.

“What the hell is your problem?” I growled at Kylie.

“My problem is her. You belong with me, Xavier.”

I glared, shaking with fury. Bunny got enough of this at school. I was not about to let this happen on our date.

“Xavier, it’s fine,” Bunny tried to calm me down. “I like cheese.” She stood up, and carefully avoided Kylie. “Maybe we should go catch that movie.”

I nodded, and stood up also.

“But, X-ie!” I winced at the stupid nickname Kylie had given me. “You haven’t even ordered yet!”

“And I’m not going to,” I said over my shoulder as I wrapped an arm around Bunny’s waist. “Goodbye, Kylie.”

Just like when I broke up with her, I walked away with my arm around another girl’s waist.

We hopped into my truck, and I helped pick the cheese out of Bunny’s hair. “You okay?” I asked.

“I’ve been through worse,” she admitted. “Are all your exes like that?”

“No,” I said quickly. “Just Kylie.”

She nodded, brushing the cheese off her dress. “Well, I think I saw a McDonald’s around the corner there.”

I nodded. “McDonald’s it is, then.”

“Let’s hope there’s no crazy ex-girlfriend there,” she teased.

Oh, she didn’t know the half of it.

* * * * * *


I parked in front of Bunny’s house, laughing as she mocked Taylor Swift.

“Well, here we are,” I said, nodding toward her house.

“I had a lot of fun tonight,” she said sincerely, smiling.

“Same.”

“You’re still coming to my party tomorrow, right?” she asked nervously.

I nodded. “’Course.”

She nodded. “Great. Uh, see you then.”

She looked at me. I looked at her. We were leaning in closer when…she burped. I chuckled as her entire face turned red.

“The coke’s gotta come out one way or another,” I teased.

“I am so sorry!” she apologized for really no reason.

I chuckled. “It was nothing.”

“But it was totally a—”

I kissed her in reassurance. She kissed back. Pretty soon, our tongues got involved. God, I love her.

We broke away for air, both panting and staring at the other.

“See? No big deal,” I said once I caught my breath.

She giggled. “Goodnight, Xavier,” she said, smiling at me.

“Goodnight, Bunny.”

She hopped out of my truck, and I watched her walk up the porch steps. Then I drove away.