The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Three: Stupid

BUNNY

I opened my notebook, and began doodling. That was strike one. Strike two was when I started humming my favorite song. And strike three? I started singing.

“God! When you shut up?” Candy growled at me. “Yeah, you. What are you? Stupid?”

Stupid.

Sure, I wasn’t the brightest star in the sky, but my grades were decent. Who knows? Maybe I am stupid. Those two Fs in my biology class surely weren’t helping matters.

I sunk lower in my chair, pulling the beenie closer to my face.

“Aw, look! She’s shy!”

Everyone laughed. Everyone always laughed. At me.

“Why don’t you go find a hole and die. ’Kay?” Candy looked at me expectantly with an arched eyebrow.

“Why don’t you?” I mumbled to myself.

She slapped me.

I fell out of my chair, looking up dazedly at her.

“We’re not finished, bitch. I’ll get you for that.” Her and her friend glared as they left the room.

I felt tears well up in my eyes as the bell rang. Everyone left the library, nobody coming to help me with reassurance or anything. No, instead they laughed and mocked me further.

“Need a hand?”

I looked up in surprise at the unfamiliar voice.

There stood the most gorgeous boy in probably the entire world. He had wavy dark hair, stood at probably six and a half feet tall, and seemed to be carved in the likeness of a God. Abs. A six pack that was visible even through his shirt. And his eyes! God, they were green and sparkly and…beautiful.

He flashed me a smile as I accepted his hand. “You okay?”

I nodded. “Yeah, fine. Uh, thanks.”

“No problem.” His smile was dazzling. Perfect white teeth against tan skin. “Would you mind if I walked you to class?”

“Uh…” I was trying to process what he was saying while staring into those wonderful eyes. “Sure.”

He grinned. “After you.” He gestured me onward.

I nodded, and started walking in the direction of my Literature class. The godlike creature fell in step with me easily.

“You sure that you’re okay?”

“Yep, fine.” It was easier talking when I wasn’t staring into those marvelous eyes. “Didn’t really feel it.”

“You’re tough, then.” I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. “My name’s Xavier, by the way.”

“Bunny,” I said, flashing him a smile.

“Bunny,” he repeated thoughtfully. “What a pretty name.”

I wasn’t sure that he meant for me to hear that, so I remained silent until we reached my class. “Uh, thanks for walking me to class, Xavier.”

“Anytime, Bunny.” Another gorgeous smile. “Well, I better get going so I’m not late. See yah around.” He winked.

I giggled as I entered my class.

* * * * * *


I was listening to my current obsession, humming softly along as I exited the torture chamber known as school. I was walking down the steps, completely oblivious to the fact that I was being followed.

Next thing I know, I was pushed against the brick wall. “Wh—” I said dazedly.

“Shut up, bitch,” Candy growled, punching my nose. God, for a skinny little tramp, she sure can hit. “I think you need to learn some manners.”

I saw her boyfriend, Tanner, grin evilly at me with his friends flanking him. “You started—”

“Shut up!” Candy screeched. “God, are you seriously that dumb? Shut. Up.”

I winced as Tanner punched my stomach, feeling nothing but pain for the longest time. They didn’t leave me with any time to recover as they took turns kicking and punching me—passing me around like a new pack of gum. Then they left me there, bruising, laughing as they went.

Why was the world so cruel? Why were people like this?

I numbly reached for my cell phone in my pocket. I hoped to God that it wasn’t broken. It wasn’t. I called the one person I knew would always have my back—my dad.

“Hey, sweetheart,” he greeted.

“Daddy,” I croaked out. I coughed, and some blood came spitting out. “Can you come pick me up?”

“Of course, princess. Where are you?”

“At school.”

“I’ll be right there. Princess, are you okay?”

I shook my head even though he couldn’t see, the tears I had held in all day suddenly pouring out. “No, daddy,” I sobbed. “They got me. It hurts.”

“I’ll be there in a minute. I’m on my way now.”

I nodded as we hung up. I knew my dad would fix it. He’d make it all better. My dad always made it all better.

* * * * * *


Dear Diary,

Why do people hurt their brethren? Why is there so much pain and suffering in the world?


I paused, rolling my shoulders that were sore from slouching over the notebook.

I wish with all my heart that no one else will have to go through everything I do at school.

I set down the pen, my train of thought transferred to a migraine.

“Here’s some medicine, princess,” dad said, also bringing my dinner on a tray.

“Thank you.”

“No problem, princess.”

He gently kissed my bruised forehead, and departed from my room.

I looked at the tray. Grilled cheese, French Fries, and chocolate milk. Oh, and those chicken nuggets that were shaped like dinosaurs. Okay, one: My dad was not a gourmet chef. Two: My dad likes to pretend that I’m ten years younger than I really am. Yeah, I have that kind of dad.

I nibbled on the dinosaur chicken nuggets as I watched Gossip Girl. Getting bored with that, I started flipping through the channels. I settled on SpongeBob SquarePants. I giggled as Patrick got hit with a bowling ball. What a pin head.

SpongeBob always made me feel better.

“Bunny!” my brother whined as he barged into my room.

“Yeah?” I asked with little interest.

“Why did you let the mean big kids beat you up?”

I stared at him like he was crazy. He was only eight, and didn’t understand what I was going through. “I didn’t let the big kids beat me up.”

“You’re a black belt in karate! You could’ve taken them!”

The first part was true. The last, not so much. “They were really big, Trey. Bigger than anyone I’ve ever fought before.”

“Poor Bunny!” He hugged me, which was rare. He quickly let go. “Those big meenies!”

“You don’t need to worry about it.”

He nodded, and then saw what I was watching. He sat down without asking, making me roll my eyes.