The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Seven: Nobody

BUNNY


“I don’t want to go with you on your date, Cookie,” I whined as she searched for shoes in my closet.

“So, you’d risk me possibly fainting and embarrassing myself in front of Kurt?”

I didn’t even know who Kurt was, but Cookie swore up and down that he was the man of her dreams. “Fine,” I sighed as she handed me some flats.

She squealed in excitement. “Great! Because Kurt said that he was bringing a friend of his to keep you company.”

I sighed again. I should’ve known that Cookie was trying to set me up on a date. See, I had never had a boyfriend since Candy spread a rumor that I had an STD. I didn’t want one, anyway. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Cookie, on the other hand, has had tons of boos, and was persistent on finding me one.

“I’ve told you a million and five times, Cookie. I don’t want a boyfriend.”

“I know, Bunny, but I feel awful having one while you’re all alone.”

“And I’m fine.” I grabbed her hands. “I have my books.”

“Yeah, but don’t you ever want to experience what you’re reading about?” She looked at me with her big brown eyes. “Don’t you want your first kiss and a happily ever after?”

I nodded. I longed for my first kiss more than anything. “Yeah, that would be nice.”

She smiled. “Great. Then it’s settled. You are going to make this guy fall head over heels for you.” She squealed in excitement.

What have I just done?

* * * * * *


Cookie and I couldn’t drive, so we called Charlie, who didn’t seem too thrilled about chauffeuring his little sister on her date. He dropped us off at Esmeralda’s Club and Arcade, speeding away in the opposite direction.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into him lately,” Cookie said, shaking her head. “He’s been acting really weird lately.”

I rolled my eyes. “So, where’s your mystery date?”

“Ooh! I see him!” she squealed. “Over by the pool tables!”

She grabbed my arm, and started dragging me toward the pool area. A boy with curly red hair and sparkling blue eyes smiled at us. He had freckles all along his face. He was muscular and tall. He towered over the two of us. He was the same boy from the other day. He had run to the nurse’s office when Cookie had fainted.

“Hey, Cookie.” He grinned at her.

“Hi, Kurt.” She pecked his lips. Then she gestured to me. “This is Bunny.”

I waved shyly. Kurt smiled at me. “I think you know my friend, Xavier. He should be somewhere around here.”

“Hey, Bunny.”

I spun around to see Xavier. Oh, so he meant that Xavier. Well, this date just got awkward. “Hi,” I said shyly.

“Great! You know him!” She grinned. “’Bye!” She waved as Kurt and her left us. But not before “accidentally” bumping me into Xavier.

“Uh, sorry,” I said, blushing as an electric current washed through me.

“No, it’s fine,” he said as I took a step back. There was an awkward silence. “You look nice.”

“Uh, thanks. I try.” I smiled shyly, looking up at him through my eyelashes. “You look good, too.”

“Thanks.” Another awkward silence. “Wanna play some pool?”

I looked at the pool table. “I don’t really know how to play.”

“I’ll show you.” He picked up two sticks, tossing one to me. He arranged the balls. “I’ll go first.”

He aimed, and shot at the white ball, which rammed into the other balls. A red striped ball went into the hole. He aimed again. With a quick flick of a movement, he had hit the white ball once more with his stick. No ball went into the holes.

“Your turn.”

I looked at him in disbelief. “I don’t have any idea on what to do, Xavier.”

He smirked. “I’ll show you. Don’t worry.” He came up behind me, and helped me take aim. “Relax. You’ll be the first person to pull a muscle while playing pool.” I giggled.

He helped me shoot a dark green ball into a hole.

“Is that good?” I asked.

He chuckled. “Perfect.” I blushed.

He helped me with all of my shots, guiding me through it. Eventually I started getting the hang of it. I even made that black ball go in the hole all by myself.

“Game over,” Xavier said.

“What?” I looked at him confusedly.

“You sunk the eight ball.” I gave him a look like he was the crazy one. “The black ball.”

I pouted. “No fair.”

He looked at me with amusement. “Bunny, you won.”

“Really?” I asked excitedly. “Did I really?” He nodded. “Yippee!”

“Would you like to play something else?”

I thought about it. “Sure.”

“Great.” He grinned. “Anything you want. My treat.”

I looked around. What did I want to play?

My stomach growled. I had almost forgotten that I hadn’t had dinner. “I’m hungry.”

The look of amusement was back on his face. “Well, what would you like to eat?”

I thought about it. “Pizza.”

“Good choice.” He winked. “There’s bound to be a place that sells pizza somewhere around here.”

So we went on a hunt for food that took us out of Esmeralda’s. Across the street was a Guatto’s Pizza. We smiled just as a clap of thunder broke the silence. I yelped in surprise.

“Thunder,” I murmured.

The amusement was back in his eyes. “Are you scared?”

“Pftt,” I said, waving my hand. “No.”

“Hmm. Too bad.”

I gave him a confused glance as we attempted to cross the street with no luck. The road was too busy. We walked to the corner, and crossed it there. In the pouring rain. Once we finally made it to Guatto’s Pizza, we saw Cookie and Kurt.

“Cookie!” I said happily.

She smiled as she gestured us over. “Having fun?” she murmured to me.

“Yeah. Best day ever. Xavier taught me how to play pool.”

Cookie was beaming. She was almost glowing with happiness. “We were just about to order. I suppose you want your usual?” I nodded. Cookie always knew what I wanted.

“How did you not get caught in the rain?” I asked as Kurt and Xavier became engrossed in their boy-talk.

“There’s this cool new thing called an umbrella.

The waiter came over, and took our order. One extra-large meat lovers pizza for the boys and me, and a vegetarian’s pizza for Cookie. Cookie hated eating meat, said it made her feel “dirty”.

“I don’t get you and your veggie pizzas,” I stated not for the first time.

“Eating animals is cruel and disgusting. You should be ashamed, Bunny.

We rolled our eyes and finished eating.