Status: One-shot, but have an idea for it as a story

Brightside

Thoughts

It was a particular day, rising from winter’s bleak malady to the crisp current which marked the awakening of spring. It was a day where the coffee had never tasted so sweet or so bland; a day of indecision. It was a day when the exchanging of glances had caused eyes to forfeit, leaving vacant stares lingering in the spaces between. It was a day, an unspectacular, unextraordinary, particular day; a day when, in his mind, he had surpassed the ideals of friendship, laying bare in a state of study.

His secret was not an attraction, or a longing - it was merely a collection of thoughts laced together with a slight ripple that erupted whenever his memory crossed her laugh. His secret was not a secret, yet he still felt obliged to dart his eyes from one side of the room to the next, a desperate plea to find solace for their covetous pupils. His secret was not a feeling, but a thought of what may have been or what may be in time, and if he would favour that future or if the admittance to this would liberate a relationship too effortless to live without.

His relationship was not a love, any evidence of which in his generation had been diluted, leaving behind a concoction of hormones and uncertain wishes. His relationship was not a loss, despite an unexpressed aversion to the culture of exclusive romances and austere liasons. His relationship was not insignificant; within it lay an ability to express any anxieties or apprehending without apprehension or anxiety. His relationship was not a secret, but rather a well-accepted fact amongst others.

His thoughts were inconstant, yet frequent - their content forever wavering in reason and , immediately after, excuse. His thoughts were unexplained and unprovoked, but undeniable. His thoughts intrigued him, simultaneously inflicting a new found sense of fear when he passed her desk. His thoughts were of her, unique in manner and mold; of her rouge lips, of her fidgets and frowns, of the way the small of her back may feel when grazing the bark of a nearby tree outside his office window.

His thoughts were just thoughts. His day was just another day. His relationship was just ‘Tom and Emma, colleagues’. His secret was unknown.
♠ ♠ ♠
I might extend this into a story - what do you think? I have a few ideas, darlings ;)