Just One Kiss

Chapter 18

“What’s it for then?” Nick asked, his own heart racing. Brian took the bottle, and his eyebrows raised.

“Nick, did you ever pay attention to what these are?” Brian asked.

“Of course I did,” Nick replied.

“I know it was a long time ago, but you don’t remember that I was on the same thing back in the mid-90s?”

“This is what you were on?” Nick asked, looking at the bottle.

“I had a Septal Defect, a hole in my heart,” Brian explained to the doctor. “This is the same medication I was taking before I had to have open heart surgery.”

“Well, I hate to say this, but that’s exactly what Ms. Cena has. I don’t know the extent of it, but I’m pretty certain that it could come to where she would have to have open heart surgery.”

“That’s why the exercising never worked for her the way it did for you.” Howie realized suddenly.

“But wait, what about her regular doctor?” Nick asked suddenly. “She saw a cardiologist regularly. If he knew it was this, and knew it was getting so bad, wouldn’t he have known surgery would be in her future?”

“Nick, as much as I hate to say it, I think maybe Stacy wasn’t as honest with you as you think she was when you first met.”

“Can I go see her?” Nick asked. The doctor nodded and told Nick the room number. He didn’t bother knocking on the door. He just walked straight in.

“Did you know?” Nick asked, sitting beside her bed.

“Know what?” Stacy replied weakly.

“That it wasn’t Cardiomyopathy that was wrong with you. That you had a hole in your heart that was slowly getting worse?” When Stacy didn’t reply, Nick knew he had hit the nail on the head. “Why didn’t you tell me from the start?”

“I was scared,” she whispered.

“Scared of what?” Nick asked, more gently after seeing the tears in her eyes.

“I didn’t lie to you,” she said. “When we first met, it was just cardiomyopathy. Remember I had an appointment about a month after you told me about your own condition?” When Nick nodded, she continued. “That’s when I found out the hole started forming. I didn’t want to concern you, so I just didn’t tell you.”

“That’s why you avoided the question when I asked how the appointment went,” Nick realized suddenly. Stacy nodded. “That still doesn’t explain why you never told me you ran out of your medication.”

“I just ran out this morning, after taking my last pill. That didn’t affect me as badly as you think it would have.” She sighed and sat up a little straighter. “I’ve been here once before Nick, I never wanted to be here again.”

“Well, I have some bad news for you sweetie, but by what the doctor was telling me, you’ll soon be seeing a lot more of a hospital. He said that your condition’s progressed to where you’ll more than likely have to have open heart surgery.”

“I can give you my doctor’s name, even though I’m not sure he’s still around,” a voice behind Nick said. “I went through the same thing years back, remember hearing about it?”

“Yeah, I do,” Stacy replied. Nick could see in her eyes the thought of the surgery was scaring the living hell out of her. He grabbed her hand and lifted it to his mouth.

“Hey,” he said gently. “Listen to me. If it comes down to it, you’re not going to be alone. I was stupid when Brian had to go through his surgery. He’s my best friend, has been since ‘93. He’s my best friend and he had to go through it, and I wasn’t there for him. I regret it every day I look at him and his family. I’m not going to do the same thing to you.”

“It’ll be alright if it comes down to it Stace,” Brian spoke up. “I mean look at me.” Stacy smiled as the door opened again. Alex and Howie followed her doctor into the room.

“I looked over the tests, and they show that your condition is serious enough to where right now, the hole is life threatening. I’m going to release you since you live in Florida. However, I want you to check in with your regular cardiologist, and schedule yourself for the open heart surgery.”

“Nobody will be there to help me,” Stacy replied.

“And if it’s as bad as you’re saying, I think the sooner, the better.” Nick said.

“You’re right,” the doctor sighed.

“I can go home to Massachusetts,” Stacy said. “My parents and brothers will be there to help me.”

“Don’t forget I’ll be there too,” Nick said.

“Nick, I know you want to be there, but you have the tour.” Stacy said, squeezing his hand gently.

“Only for a couple more weeks. I’m sure I’ll be able to get out of it for you.”

“You can’t do that Nick, what about your fans?”

“They don’t mean as much to me as you do.” Stacy felt tears spring to her eyes at his statement.

“I’ll have my parents and my brothers fussing over me Nicky,” Stacy sighed. “How crazy do you think it’ll drive me if you’re hovering over me as well?”

Nick saw her point, even if he didn’t want to agree it was true.

“Fine,” he said finally. “For the sake of your sanity, I’ll stay on tour. But as soon as it’s over, I’m coming back to you.”

“Deal,” Stacy smiled.

“I’ll be right back,” Nick said, standing up and kissing her head. He walked into the hallway and into a bathroom.

“Any news?” John asked the minute he answered his phone.

“Did Stacy tell you that her condition got worse?” Nick asked.

“What, no. What do you mean worse?”

“She has a hole in her heart valves now.” Nick informed him. “T-They’re saying that she needs surgery on her heart.”

“Damn,” John muttered. “So what’s happening?”

“I’m escorting her back to Massachusetts. We’ll tell your parents what’s going on, and she’ll stay there for the surgery and recovery.”

“What kind of surgery is this?” John asked, running his hands over his face. Randy, who was sitting across the table from him, gave him a confused look. John just held up a finger, showing him to hold on. “So, your band mate Brian had it, and he went through the same thing, and he turned out okay?” John listened, a mixed look of worry and relief in his eyes.

“Okay, thanks for letting me know.” John hung up the phone again, and let his head fall into his hands.

“What’s up?” Randy asked, taking a swig of the beer in front of him.

“It’s Stacy, her heart’s getting worse on her.” John told him. “To make a long story short, she has to have open heart surgery.”

“Fuck,” Randy muttered. He glanced down at his watch, and cursed when he realized it was time for them to head to the arena.

Backstage, John passed Vince in the hallway.

“Vince, I need a few minutes at the beginning of the show.” John told him. “I just got some news about Stacy.”

“Head on out,” Vince said.

In the middle of the ring, John stood and stared at the ground. Randy was backstage with Nikki, Malia, London, and Aaron who was visiting Nikki for a few days.

“As most of you know, my little sister Stacy took a leave of absence to go on a tour with her boyfriend and his band. Well, I just received a call from her boyfriend earlier today, and it seems she will be out of commission longer than she planned.” Vince, watching on a monitor in the hallway, watched as his top superstar started choking on his own tears.

“Since she was born, Stacy has been fighting a heart condition. She’s never been shy about telling people that. Well, the two of them were in the gym, and she collapsed on him. It turns out the problem with her heart was worsening, and she wasn’t telling anyone. Well, it escaladed to where now, she has to undergo open heart surgery.”

“I’m sure she would love to be here giving you all a show, but right now, it’s just not possible.” John said after a minute of listening to the crowd. There was a mixture of boos and awes. Stacy was watching in her hospital room, feeling the tears welling up in her eyes. Nick looked back at her, and ran his thumb over her cheek.

“Is that from John, the crowd, nerves, or all of the above?” He asked.

“All of the above.” Stacy whispered, giving Nick a weak smile. Nick shook his head and, after removing his shoes, climbed onto the bed right beside her. After a little bit of adjusting, they were both laying down comfortably on the bed. The doctor already said that tomorrow they were planning on moving her to a hospital in Boston. After her surgery and recovery, their parents are going to take her back to their house. By that time, Nick will be about done with his tour, so he would meet up with her at the house.

“Tell me it’ll be okay Nicky,” Stacy whispered suddenly, watching her brother heading into the backstage area.

“It’ll be okay Stacy,” Nick told her, bringing her closer to him. “I promise you, it’ll be fine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update! And it didn't take a month to get it out! Whoop whoop! LOL And if I'm completely wrong with some of the medical stuff, I would appreciate it if you told me nicely *I take constructive criticism good.* If you can't say it nicely, then I guess I'm not going to listen to you. :) *In a weird mood right now sorry.*
Anywho, yeah. No idea what else to put except I'll update with chapter 19 as soon as I can. And I'm almost done pre-writting this. So the end is fastly approaching.
Thanks for anyone who supported this story and this crazy idea. Stick around and I might end up coming up with another one. XD
Until next chapter...