Just One Kiss

Chapter 22

~Five Days Later~
Nick looked up at the house, knowing this was what needed to be done. His mother had become too dependent on him and his brother, and it was time for a change. He loved the woman more than he could say, but it was time she made her own way in the world. It was time she learned to support herself again.

Though he acted as though he didn’t, he heard what Aaron had told everyone else in the band, and Nick agreed with him wholeheartedly. He did want to take that next step with Stacy. He knew it wasn’t a good time for her to think about it, and he was willing to wait, but he wanted a life with Stacy. However, it would be next to impossible if he couldn’t get his mother off his back.

He took a deep breath and lifted his hand to knock on the door sharply. He waited for his mother to answer since this was a “business visit” as she would have called it when she walked into his bedroom as a teenager.

He heard the handle jiggle, and looked up and into the confused eyes of his mother.

“Nickel,” she greeted him. “You know you don’t need to knock, come on in.”

“I do when I’m not here for social reasons,” Nick replied, shutting the door behind him.

“Honey, you look like you haven’t slept in days.” Jane looked Nick’s face over. He had bags under his eyes which was not like him at all.

“I just got off tour, and I’m under a lot of stress and worry right now.” Nick replied, following her into the living room.

“Why don’t I make you something while you go lay down?” Jane suggested, getting ready to walk into the kitchen.

“Mom, I said this isn’t a social visit,” Nick pointed out. “We need to talk about something serious.”

“Okay, what’s that?”

“Do you realize that I work hard for the money I get, and you spend more in one day then I do in an entire year?” Nick asked, getting straight to the point. He noted his mother hadn’t asked about Stacy yet, and she was the first member of his family he called after Aaron.

“My health isn’t the best you know,” Jane shrugged.

“Don’t give me that Mom,” Nick snapped before he could stop himself. It was one thing to lie through his sisters and the phone, but another to lie to his face. “Every time I give you money, you somehow end up with a new wardrobe, or your nails done, or a new car! I’m here to tell you that it’s not happening anymore. I’ve had enough, I’m done.”

“You’re cutting me off?” Jane asked, the shock shining brightly in her eyes.

“I have to,” Nick said. “You’re too dependent toward me and you need to learn how to rely on yourself again.”

“I know how to rely on myself,” Jane said, waving her hand in the air.

“Really? When is the last time you had a job? When is the last time you called me just to talk to me or to see if I’m doing okay? Do you even know anything about what I’m going through right now?”

“You’re dating that one girl, what’s her name….” Jane’s voice trailed off as though she was thinking, but Nick saw in her eyes that she wasn’t even trying.

“Stacy, Mom!” Nick shouted. “Her name is Stacy, and she’s recovering from surgery right now. I called you not too long ago to tell you about it.”

“I’m sorry honey, when does she go in?” Jane asked, looking up at him.

“I just told you she’s recovering. The surgery happened five days ago. After I leave here, I’m heading to her. This is exactly what I’m talking about Mom. You’re too self-absorbed anymore, and you only want money from me anymore. So until you can start treating me like a son again, I’m not giving you a penny.”

“Nickel wait,” Jane said just as Nick walked to the front door.

“I’ve been waiting for you to act like a mother again since I was sixteen Mom,” he said, pausing with his hand on the front door handle. “I’m done with waiting. I love you Mom, but I can’t keep doing this. Not if,” he stopped and took a deep breath before wrenching the door open and stepping onto the porch. “Not if I want to have a future Stacy or anyone else.”

“I should have never let you go through with this band,” Jane said suddenly, causing Nick to look back up at her. “It changed you and ruined our relationship.”

“I’ll agree that it ruined our relationship Mom, but that’s only because you let it. And it didn’t ruin me, it ruined you. You just don’t want to admit it.”

“Nickel,” Jane started, but Nick shaking his head cut off whatever she was about to say.

“I’m done hearing it,” Nick said. “I’m not backing down this time.” He looked his mother in the eye. “I love you Mom, but this is it. Until you can accept help that will get you to depend on yourself again, I can’t do anything more for you.” Jane just nodded, wondering when her sixteen year old teenager had turned into such a responsible, smart, and mature man.

“I haven’t paid attention as a mother,” she whispered, suddenly realizing the truth. “Here you are, fully grown, and I’m still treating you like that little kid who was trying to follow his dreams. The problem is, you’ve followed all of them, and you’re creating new ones.”

“I am creating new ones,” Nick said. “To be honest, they’re ones that involve Stacy, and I want them to involve both our families, including you.”

“I’m sorry Nick, I guess I never realized…” Jane’s voice cut off as Nick walked back inside the house. He wrapped his arms around his mother, letting his chin rest on her head.

“What’s important is you realize it now. Anything you need to help you get yourself back up, I’ll be there for you. But there are going to be limits and ground rules.” Jane nodded and released her son.

“I’ll be praying for your girlfriend,” she said, wiping at her cheeks. “How is she doing?”

“She’s holding in there,” Nick said. “We’re not realizing though until she starts going through rehab.”

“What kind of surgery again?”

“Open-heart, just like Brian went through before.”

“She’ll be fine,” Jane stated. “I might not know her too well, but I have a feeling this one is a fighter.”

“You have no idea Mom,” Nick chuckled. “But, I have to go. I have a plane to catch to take me to Massachusetts. She’s with her family while she recovers.”

“Okay, and Nick, I really am sorry.” Nick looked into her eyes, knowing they always gave her away. He could see the sincerity there, so he nodded.

“I know,” he said, giving her another hug. “I’ll call you when I land.” Jane nodded and watched her eldest son leave. She was proud of him for standing up to her the way he was, though she would never tell him that to him directly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty much a filler, but also something that needed to happen. And I'm not going to spend too much time working on her recovery. Already got an idea forming for her return and whatnot. And sorry for the delay. Internet was down for a while, but it is back up. :)
Hopefully I'll have another update soonish.
Thanks for reading and thank you to the people who stuck with me with this. I know, WWE and Backstreet Boys is a weird combination. ;)