Just One Kiss

Chapter 4

“This place is pretty sweet.” John commented. “How did you find this place Nick?”

“AJ,” Nick replied with a shrug.

“Isn’t that a little weird, going to a place where your best friend used to get drunk off his ass?” Randy asked, glancing down at his phone for what seems like the thousandth time.

“Expecting a call?” Stacy teased him as she sipped her martini.

“Nope, just texting the wife.” Randy replied with a wink to her. John rolled his eyes, knowing that this teasing would last for a while.

“Hey sis, come dance with me.”

“No thanks,” Stacy replied, glancing toward Nick with a tiny wink. She knew John would make her get up no matter what, so she like to play around with him on it.

“Let’s go, you know you wanna get out there.”

“I’ll go down with you,” Nick spoke up, mistaking what the wink meant.

“Really?” Stacy asked, raising an eyebrow. “Okay then. Sorry, bro.” She ran her hand over the back of his shoulders as she walked onto the dance floor, Nick following right behind her.

“Nothing’s going to happen with them right?” Randy asked John as they watched them.

“He doesn’t want anything to happen,” Howie informed them. “He says she doesn’t need to get tangled up with a guy like him.”

“Obviously I don’t know him like you do,” John said to Howie. “But he doesn’t seem like that bad of a guy.”

“He’s not, he just…” Howie’s voice trailed as he watched his friend, knowing everything he was going through.

“He what?” Randy prompted.

“He has a lot going on in his life, mainly with his family. His parents just divorced a year ago. He has four siblings being used as pawns by his mother. She also takes advantage of Nick with how willing he his to help his family out. She’ll call him, tell him she’s sick and he’ll send her money or whatever, but it turns out it is completely false.”

“That’s terrible,” John muttered, watching the man with his little sister. “Who could do something like that?”

“His mom changed a lot over the years. The fame and money got to her head. She threw Aaron into the business when he was seven years old.”

“And you think this is what he meant by not getting tangled up with him? That by them getting together, she’ll be dragged down by his family?” Nikki asked.

“Yes, I think it is.” Howie replied, staring at the cup in his hands. “Plus, all of this is taking its toll on Nick. I haven’t said anything, but I noticed he’s starting to look more run down than normal. Like he’s not taking care of himself like he should.”

“It’s hard taking care of yourself on the road though,” John pointed out.

“This was before we even started touring again.” Howie sighed and shook his head, looking around the bar before setting his eyes back on John. “Hey for all I know, I could be over thinking things as well. With Nick, it’s hard to tell because he never lets his emotions show. He believes showing emotions makes a person weak.”

“I grew up believing that too, but of course I came from a long line of wrestlers.” Randy said, a scowl on his face.

“I never believed it,” John with a shrug. “But Stacy did. She listened to our father a heck of a lot more than she should have. It’s one of the main reasons she’s here. Nikki over here is a high flyer. She prefers aerial attacks over strength. Stacy always believed she had to be strong, in every way, so she’s more of the grappler, strength type of fighter. She has to prove she’s strong enough to take on anyone or anything.”

“I broke up with her to start dating the woman who’s now my wife,” Randy spoke up, smiling with very little humor to go on. “I was her longest relationship, and we were together almost 2 years. I broke up with her, and most women would be locked away for days, crying their eyes out.” Randy shook his head, his smirk growing a little wider. “Not Stacy. She showed up at the arena the next night, acting as if nothing happened at all.”

“Wow,” Howie muttered. “You know what then? I’m not too sure them getting together would be a good idea then.”

“Why not?”

“If they’re both afraid to show their true feelings, then how would they know how the other is feeling?”

Neither John, Randy, nor Nikki knew how to reply to that. On the dance floor, the up beat tempo song suddenly changed to a slower tune.

“Come on, just this once,” Nick said as Stacy started to head back to their table. She thought for a second before accepting his offered hand. He laced their fingers together before placing his right hand on Stacy’s waist. Stacy’s left hand laid on Nick’s shoulder, and they swayed side to side to the beat of the song.

“This is kinda nice,” Nick commented. “I’m glad your brother asked me to join.”

“Me too,” Stacy said, realizing how true the statement was as she said it. It had been a long time since she was able to let go and just have fun like this. Between work and other things, there just wasn’t any time for her to go out to have fun.

“You’re close with your brother, that’s a good thing.” Nick commented after a moment of awkward silence.

“Aren’t you close with your brother, and your sisters?” Stacy asked, looking up into his blue eyes with wonder.

“We are for the most part,” Nick shrugged. “It’s just, being in the business for so long like I have been, it made keeping a relationship with my family tough. I barely know my siblings anymore, which is why I did the House of Carter thing. To get to know them, and to bring the five of us back together.”

“Did it work out like you want?”

“Kind of. Aaron and I are closer than ever, same with BJ and Angel. Leslie’s still keeping her distance though. She’s stubborn, but she’s coming around.”

“That’s good,” Stacy replied. Silence fell between the two of them again, and when the song ended, they silently walked back up to the table.

“I think I’m going to head back,” Stacy informed everyone as she grabbed her jacket from behind John’s back.

“What? It’s only 11:30,” John said, looking at his watch.

“I didn’t sleep a lot earlier, so I’m getting tired.” Stacy replied to him, though he noticed she was trying desperately hard to avoid looking at Nick.

“I’ll walk you out then,” John said.

“I’ll go with her,” Randy spoke up.

“Nikki, I know you’re pretty uncomfortable, are you coming?”

“Actually, I’m fine.” Nikki replied. “I’ll meet you back at the room.” Stacy nodded and walked toward the entrance, Randy right behind her.

“I hope I didn’t do anything,” Nick spoke up as they watched her leave.

“It probably has nothing to do with you,” John sighed, though he knew his sister. It had a lot to do with Nick, most of which she would never admit to.

“What’s with you?” Randy asked Stacy as they walked out the front door.

“I’m tired, I’m going back to the hotel and going to bed.”

“No, it’s not that.” Randy smirked.

“Of course it is.” Stacy insisted.

“Stace, we dated for two years, and we only broke up a year and a half ago. People change, but not that much that fast. I know you, Stacy Noelle. You’re running from Nick because you don’t want to get involved with anyone right now, but you can’t help but like him more and more each time you see him.”

“I’ve only met him twice Randall.” Stacy snapped.

“I met Malia once and was head over heels in love with her after that one meeting. Don’t give me that ‘it’s too soon to tell’ bullshit Stace. You’re falling for the guy, hard. I can see it in your eyes.”

“You know what, maybe I am! Maybe I’m too emotionally scarred by you to do anything about it!”

“You’re not though. You’ve told me everyday for the past year that you’re completely over things that happened.”

“Maybe I was lying, because I’m not over you. Maybe I’m still in love with you, but I don’t want to ruin your life with your wife!”

“Look me straight in the eye and tell me you’re not over me.” Randy said, staring straight at Stacy’s face. Stacy looked into his eyes, but had to look away because she knew if she said anything, it would be more than obvious she was lying.

“There you go,” Randy snapped. “Now, stop being so stubborn, get your ass in that club, and talk to Nick about this stuff.”

“I can’t,” Stacy whispered, staring at the concrete sidewalk under her feet.

“What was that?”

“I said I can’t.” She said louder, looking up at him. “He’s made it obvious, he doesn’t want a relationship with anyone right now, and I’m okay with being his friend.” Stacy sighed and ran her hand over her cheeks, which she didn’t realize was wet with tears.

“Can I go now. I really am getting tired Randy.”

“Okay, I’m sorry, but you know I had to do this.” Randy said, wrapping his arm around Stacy’s shoulders.

“I know.” Stacy smiled. Randy stood with her while he signaled a cab. She slide in and told the driver what hotel they were staying at, and they took off down the street.

“So?” John’s voice asked. Randy turned to see him leaning against the wall, his arms crossed. “I know you got something out of her, what did she say?”

“She said nothing can happen.” Randy sighed, walking up to his best friend and leaning against the wall with him. “Mainly because, Nick doesn’t want it to happen.”

“For a good reason.” Nick walked out from behind the door of the club, facing the two men with hard blue eyes. “Neither of you know what my life is like right now.”

“Your parents just divorced, they’re playing chess with you and your siblings as pawns.” Randy stated.

“That’s not even the half of it. I’ve been the provider for my siblings, for years. You don’t know what kind of childhood I had. I would hide in closets with my brother and sisters when our parents argued. I’ve been used so many times by the woman who was supposed to protect me.”

“What does that have to do with Stacy?” John asked. “She doesn’t give a damn about past history, as long as it doesn’t repeat itself.”

“I wonder if you would say that if I tell you that just six months before I was on WWE for that one night, I had been arrested for a DUI.”

“I say the same thing, because I’m like my sister. The past doesn’t matter to us, as long as bad experiences never get repeated.”

“I’ve hung out with Stacy, if you include the hotel, three times since we met. She’s nice, caring, and someone who I cannot get involved with. If I ever did, it would end up bad for her. Just let it go. Stacy and I are both adults. We both know what we’re doing.” Nick turned around and walked back into the bar, grabbing his jacket and letting Howie know he was leaving. Howie decided to join him on the way back to the hotel, so after a quick goodbye to Nikki, and Randy and John when they passed them, they grabbed their own cab, and headed for the hotel.

“You’re not going to grill me?” Nick asked Howie as they silently walked through the hallway.

“Nicky, since you were eight you’ve known what you wanted and how to get there.” Howie replied, stopping at the door to his room and pulling out the keycard. “You’ve always made your own choices. This is one of those times when it has to happen your way. Stacy’s way too of course, but you get my meaning. Your relationship has to develop on both your times.”

“Thanks for understanding that,” Nick muttered. “You seem to be the only one who does.”

“No problem. Get some sleep, we have back to back interviews tomorrow and we still have to go get Kevin from the airport.”

“I almost forgot about that. I guess cause I’m not used to him sticking behind before a start of a tour,” Nick muttered, scratching the back of his head. “But you’re right, I’ll see ya in the morning.” Nick waited until Howie went into his room before heading down the hallway to his own room. He already knew, it was going to be a long night for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Brand new chapter for all, so I'll leave it at this. :)