Status: Active

Breaking the Rules

Chapter Four

“Good luck guys,” I say with a smile. The first four enter the meeting room, but Nathan stops and takes the door from me, telling me to go first. I smile wide and walk ahead of him.

My mom is there along with Steve and Harley, two of our best writers.

Now, you might be wondering why I don’t call my mom “mom.” I only call her mom when clients aren’t around. Why? Someone once heard that the head of Atlantis and tried to get closer to her through me. I didn’t see the point, but after that I would only call her “mom” when we were alone. Just like the “don’t date the artists” rule. Just percussions.

“Hello boys,” my mom says shaking their hands.

“Hello Mrs. Emery,” they say in unison. Creepy boys, very creepy. I just give a silent wave.

“Ready to get started?” my mom asks. The boys cheer in return. “Alright, so first you should meet Steve and Harley, our best writers. They will help you with most of your songs. You can write 75% of the songs. The other 25% - or what percent that you don’t want - will go to our own writers who have experience in all types of music. Now, what fan base are you looking for? What age?” she says after they sit down.

Max looks at his group before answering, “Umm, I think we are going to try an older group, more like 18 through 25 years. More mature.”

“That’s great. Now what type of music?” she asks ready to write any and everything down.

“I like R&B a lot,” Nathan says.

“Some Dubstep songs. That’d be great,” Tom says.

“I'm more of an Indie kind of guy,” Jay says.

“Great! A wide variety! This will be a wonderful album!” my mom promises. “Now you all spend some time brainstorming for ideas because I have an interview to get to. Good luck!” And with that, she exits.

"Hey guys. I’m Steve, this is my partner Harley. Now who is who?” Steve asks.

“Jay,” he says holding up his hand. The others follow in the same suit.

“Max.”

“Siva.”

“Nathan.”

“Tom!” he cheers. For getting up so early, he is really hyper.

“Cool. Now do you guys have any ideas?” Steve asks.

“Not really,” Tom admits.

“Well, I kind of do,” Nathan says.

“Yeah?” Harley says.

“Yeah. I wrote some lyrics last night,” he says pulling a piece of paper out of his pocket. “I just have lyrics though, not really any beat to it. But it wouldn’t be too hard to find one. Can I use the piano?” he asks quickly. Steve and Harley nod.

“‘You could hurt with a word, you could change my life. You could tell me the truth, it would cut like a knife’,” Tom reads tonelessly. “Hum.”

“Yes!” Nathan cheers loudly.

“What?” Steve says.

“Listen!” he says as he starts to play a few notes.

“You could hurt with a word, you could change my life,” Max sings getting into the tune.
Nathan hastily searches the piano for music paper. Once he finds it he writes the notes down.

“You could tell me the truth it would cut like a knife,” Nathan sings then pauses. “But I won’t let go. But I won’t let go.”

Jay writes it down for Nathan. Then everything goes haywire. Nathan starts talking to Steve and Harley, Siva and Jay try finding a good beat, and Tom and Max go play with the guitars. During this time I decide to get Joshua to bring in some food.

“Do you guys want something to eat?” I ask. They all shut up that second and stare at me like I’ve just told them that dinosaurs were still alive. Take that as you will.

“Yes!” and “Food!” is what I hear once they compose themselves.

“Al’ight, what would ya like?” I ask.

“Pancakes.”

“Eggs.”

“French toast.”

“A bunch of fruit.”

“I want a grilled cheese.”

“Got it,” I say. I write all that down on a small piece of paper so I won’t forget, then I call Joshua.

“Hey Josh,” I say.

“Heyo Charlie. Boys gettin’ hungry?”

“Yep. They want a load of stuff. I don’t know how they are going to stay so skinny.”

“Ha. Alright what do they want?”

“Just bring a platter of pancakes, a platter of French toast, four grilled cheeses, a big plate of fruit, a lot of eggs, and a bowl of oatmeal for me.”

“Got it. It should be done in fifteen.”

“Alright. Thanks Josh.”

“No prob.” Then I hang up.

"Food’ll be here in fifteen minutes guys,” I announce. They mumble thanks in return.

Ten minutes later they finally talk to each other. “Nath, how about this?” Max asks as he and Tom play some notes on the guitars.

“Yeah, that’s good. Jay and Seev, got anything yet?” Nathan asks.

“Yep. Listen to this,” Jay answers as they play something.

“Alright this what we got.” Nathan says holding up the sheet. Then they take turns singing solo and harmonizing while Harley plays the guitar.

"You could hurt with the word,
You could change my life,
You could tell me the truth,
It would cut like a knife but I won't let go
But I won't let go, but I won't let go

You could fall, hit the wall
You could lose your way
You could lose, you could bruise,
Spend it all in day but I won't let go
But I won't let go, but I won't let go

Cause if I had to save someone, I'd still save you
And if I had to pray for someone, I'd pray for you

Cause you know we are made for each other
Can't take that away, made for each other
Like sunshine and day, made for each other, I'm here to stay

Cause you know we are made for each other
I'm made for you, made for each other
Like stars and the moon, made for each other
We'll see it through (Cause you know we are made)

They could take, they could hate
They could break our hearts
They could try all they want,
Never tear us apart, we will not let go,
We will not let go, we will not let go,”


I am left stunned that they could make so much of a song in so little time. I clap and they finally notice me. Tom and Jay laugh and bow, they others following soon after.

“Food?” Joshua says coming in with his crew pushing carts full of food.

They stuff their faces until they can’t hold anymore.

“Now the rest of the day is yours, have fun,” I say getting up to leave. Steve and Harley had to go to work with David Guetta.

“You’re not coming with?” Nathan asks.

“No,” I say like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

“Why not?” Max asks.

"Do you have to work?” Jay asks.

“Cuz. And no,” I reply.

“Then you should show us around!” Tom says.

"Yeah!” Siva agrees.

“Do you guys really want me to?” I ask. Really it’s better than going to Alex’s and have her tell me about the stupid party.

“Yes!”

“Please!”

“Yeah!”

“I do!”

“Alright, alright,” I giggle. “I’ll show you around.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there y'all. That's a fun word to say. Y'all. I don't even know where I got it. I'm not southern or anything. Anyway... How's your day? Good? That's great. I have a play tonight(first one ever) and I'm slightly FREAKING OUT! So I updated. Updation Question! Do you like the Chasing the Sun video? Or does it make you jealous? Both? Comment your answer!