Our Quiet Moments

In the Morning

I can’t help but smile as I slowly card my fingers through your thick, sleep ruffled black hair. You look so peaceful, so…almost innocent. Of course, I know that’s not true, but still. You’re beautiful, completely and utterly. “I love you,” I murmur.

“Do you like watching me sleep, Mattie?” you ask, a small smile curling your mouth beautifully, as your striking chocolate eyes open to look at mine. I smile back at you, leaning down to capture those lips with my own, claiming that smile.

“I like watching you do anything, baby.” I tell you, closing my eyes as your skilled, calloused fingers come up to my face. I don’t have to look at you to know how your eyes are softening, your half smile filling out. Your other hand comes up, meets its partner at the back of my neck.

You pull my face down to yours, lips half connected as we open our eyes halfway at the same time. “I love you so much sweetie…” you whisper as our lips connect in a sweet kiss, your arms around me, the sunrise our only witness.

I pull you closer, roll us over so you’re above me. We disconnect, and you lay your head down on my chest, tucking yourself under my chin, arms wrapped around me.

I feel you relax as I begin to weave my fingers through your hair again, my other arm around your naked waist. “I love you too, Bri…” I whisper back, as you fall back asleep, the quiet laying claim to us again, holding us in a warm affectionate embrace.