Miracle

Three

One year later.

It’s hard for me to believe my babies are five months old today. I was blessed to have a fairly easy pregnancy. Some women carrying twins have to be put on bed rest, but I was lucky enough not to have to officially be put on bed rest. I was advised, instead, to take it easy once I reached thirty two weeks.

Three weeks later, I went into labor. Steven was nervous, I could tell, but he was an amazing rock for me during the eighteen hours of labor I endured. Thankfully, I was able to deliver both babies naturally with no complications. Avery Rebecca Stamkos arrived first, weighing 5 lbs. 9 oz. and measuring 19 inches long. Just three minutes later, Conner Jacob Stamkos arrived weighing 5 lbs. 5 oz. and measuring 18 inches long.

Since they were born five weeks premature, both babies had to stay in the hospital an extra week for observation. It was tough to leave my babies in the hospital when I was released but it also gave me the chance to recover a little more from having them. We went up to visit them every day and we were able to take Avery home first. Two days later, Conner came home.

Taking care of two newborns was challenging. My mom came to stay with us for the first two weeks, which was a huge blessing. It also helped that the babies were born in the summer, so Steven was there fulltime to help. The first couple of months were tough. I didn’t get much sleep, shed a few overwhelmed tears, and learned more than I thought possible, but I finally got a system of sorts down.

Now I feel much more confident and I’m enjoying being a mother. Avery and Conner are not only different in looks, but also personality. Avery inherited her daddy’s blonde locks, but she has my blue-green eyes and smile. She’s very even tempered and only fusses when she wants something.

Conner, on the other hand, has my dark brown hair, which is beginning to curl now that he has more of it, but he has Steven’s blue eyes and looks almost identical to Steven in every other way. Steven often jokes that he doesn’t have his broken nose yet and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Conner also seems to have inherited his daddy’s temper. He’s much more demanding than his sister.

Their physical and personality differences are very noticeable and it makes me love them even more. I want them to feel like individuals even though they’ll always have a special bond as twins.

Both babies have just woken up from a nap. Steven had an afternoon game against the Rangers and should be home anytime now. I have feed, burped, and changed their diapers. We’re in the living room and Avery is sitting in her Bumbo Baby Seat giggling and cooing as I say nonsensical things to her. Conner is lying under the floor gym grabbing at the different toys hanging down. Both of them have been smiling more and more the past couple of months and it melts my heart every time they do.

Avery is starting to get a little fussy. She’s getting bored of sitting in her chair. I’m about to lift her out when I heard a door open. A smile spreads across my face.

“I think daddy’s home,” I tell the babies.

I take Avery in my arms and about a minute later, Steven walks into the living room. He smiles instantly when he sees us sitting on the living room floor.

“Hi babe,” I say. “Good game today.”

“Thanks. I wish you guys could’ve gone,” he replies.

“One of these days I’ll be brave enough to take them on my own. I promise I’ll do it before the season’s over.”

Steven reaches down as I lift Avery up and he scoops her into his arms.

“How’s my daddy’s girl?” he coos, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

Avery gives him a gummy smile like she understands what he’s saying. She loves me, I have no doubt, but she absolutely adores Steven, which is fine because Conner is definitely a mama’s boy.

I stand up and reach down to pick up Conner from the floor. I walk over to Steven and give him a swift kiss on the lips.

“How did things go this afternoon?” he asks.

“Pretty good. They both slept for a couple of hours, which meant I got to sleep for a little while too. It was nice.”

“Tomorrow’s an off day so I’ll get up with them tonight,” he promises.

“That would be amazing.”

I look down at Conner and he starts making a face of concentration, followed closely by a tiny grunt.

“I think your son is leaving you a present,” I giggle.

“Oh so he’s my son when he does things like that, eh?” Steven grins.

“Like father, like son.”

“Alright, let’s switch. You take the princess and I’ll take little man upstairs and change him.”

“I might as well come with you. You know she’ll poop right when you’re finished changing Conner.”

The four of us head upstairs to the nursery and Steven, who has become quite the expert, changes Conner’s diaper in record time. Just as I predicted, Avery poops a few minutes later.

Steven wipes his brow as if he’s just taken a rough shift on the ice after he finishes changing Avery’s diaper.

“I honestly think you should considered for Sainthood. I can’t imagine how you have the patience to do this on your own 24/7 while I’m gone,” he says.

I smile at his praise. “It’s exhausting, but we waited so long for these little miracles. I don’t want to take a single second for granted.”

It sounds cheesy even to me as it leaves my mouth but it’s so true I don’t even care. Steven just gives me a knowing smile and picks Avery up from the changing table.

“You’re amazing,” he says before leaning in to give me a gentle kiss.

It’s simple moments like this that remind me how lucky I am. Some people go their entire lives without finding their soul mate. Mine came into my life when I wasn’t even looking. Several years later, we are blessed to be the parents of two happy and healthy babies.

Every day presents a new challenge, but I try remember life, in itself, is a miracle, and I wouldn’t change a single thing about mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't going to add a final chapter, but I had a few people request it. Even though it's rather short, I hope it doesn't disappoint.