The Death Process

Revealing

“Come on in,” Mikey said with a depressed tone. I could tell that he had been crying earlier. I took that as a good sign because if he hadn’t have been then that means he would have been too emotionally drained and numb to form tears. “Aunt Diane will be here in a few minutes. I need to go upstairs and make sure I look presentable. Diane is very conservative. You can come too if you want.”

I nodded before following Mikey upstairs to the bathroom. It was hard to once again be in the house where I knew Gerard would never again be. His funeral was in a week and I didn’t think seven days would be enough time to get over my loss. Mikey would need a friend there that was going through what he was, so I sort of had to go. Three minutes later there was a loud knock at the door. “She’s here.” I mumbled, mostly to myself.

Mikey and I went downstairs and I waited besides him as the door was opened. A woman in her 40’s wearing a white, cotton dress and a black, knit purse was waiting there. “Mikey my boy, it’s so great to see you again!” She flung her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. She let go and looked at me. “And who is this Michael?”

“My friend Frank; he knows Gerard.”

“Hello; speaking of that boy, where is Gerard? And where are your parents? My sister usually never leaves children alone unless she needs to clear her mind. What could be bothering her?” Diane wondered aloud.

“Aunt Diane,” Mikey looked at me, “We need to talk to you about something, something serious.”

She came inside and shut the door. Mikey continued as we walked into the dining room. “Something happened to Gerard and mom had to step out for a while.” We sat down at the table with Mikey and I on one side and Diane on the other. She reached over the table and took Mikey’s hand.

“Michael, what happened? Is your brother hurt? Is he in the hospital?” Tears began to drop from Mikey and my faces. “Mikey, Frank what’s wrong? Why are you too so emotional about this? I’m sure Gerard will heal and be with us again. He just needs some time.” She smiled as a way to cheer us up. The only thing that happened was that we cried harder. “I demand you inform me on what has happened to my nephew. I have a right to be educated on the facts!”

Mikey wiped his eyes on the back of the hand before saying, “Aunt Dai-Diane, Gerard is no-not coming back.”

“What do you mean? He’ll be fine at some point.”

“No, because Gee is-is,” he closed his eyes and squeezed her hands, “Dead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is really late but i've been busy amd i've had writer's block.