Status: Slight hiatus

Pictures of You

Chapter 05

My mind let out an internal scream when the cop lifted himself from the hood of my car. He strode briskly in my direction, wearing the most god-awful short imaginable.

"M'am, I noticed you were having some parking trouble. I was going to give you a ticket, but looking at your record you seem to have a list of outstanding unpaid parking tickets, so I had to call the team in and ask them to boot your car." With that he walked over to his bike and road off.

I sighed and walked the rest of the way to my car. I couldn't resist snarling as I looked at the indention of he left on my car. Nor could I stop the whimper that escaped looking at my poor car's wheel. If I had the energy I'd hunt him and his bike down, but I didn't have the stamina and I don't think I could handle assault of a police officer on my record. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and fiddled with the lock before the door finally gave in.

I set my gear beside me and rested my head against the top of the door. I took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair before I went to pull my books and other necessities out of my car.

I was just pulling my Probability text book out of my car when I heard someone clear their throat. Expecting the absolute worst I turned around quickly. To my dismay I was not face to face with a mugger, but I was forehead to forehead with my door frame.

Closing my eyes in pain I placed the text book on the ground and got out of the car, hand pressed against my throbbing forehead.

"Oh, are you okay?" The person asked, I tried placing the voice but gave up and looked. Kris stood in front of me, a worried expression gracing his pristine face. I cringed and shook my head.

"I'm just peachy," I lied, taking my hand from my head "happens to me all the time. May I help you?"

"I, uh, was just walking to my car when I saw you were talking to the police officer about your car. Could I call you a taxi?" As much as I didn't want to accept his offer, I had no cell phone to call with. I nodded meekly and returned the half smile he sent me.

He grabbed a phone out of his pocket and called the agency. Not thirty minutes later a yellow car came barreling into the parking lot. I shot Kris a worried glance before thanking him. He nodded and went to pick up some of my books.

"Oh, no. I can get that." I said to him, placing my arm in front of his broad chest to stop him.

"Please let me help you." He replied, his accent leaking through his words. I wanted to protest, but in my moment of distraction he had grabbed my stack of books and made his way to the taxi.

"Hey, aren't you.." The driver started as Kris opened the door. Kris smiled and placed a finger over his lips to silence him. The driver followed as gestured and returned to being quit. I finished placing my stuff in the backseat while I presumed Kris was signing autographs for the driver.

I settled in and rolled my window down to thank Kris one more time.

"No problem." He replied with a smile before making his way to the black Mercedes that flanked my car.

"Where to, miss?" The driver asked, pulling my gaze away from Kris.

"How much will it cost to get back to Penn State?" I answered with another question.

The man sent me a grin, "All expenses have been paid." he answered, tilting his head in the direction of Kris. He was staring at us from his Mercedes, he smiled when the man nodded in his direction, knowing that we were just talking about him. Before I could get out to protest to him, he started his car and pulled out of the lot.

I sat back in the seat, making a mental note to repay Kris someday.