Status: Active

Not Over You

trios

"God damn it! You guys need to watch where you're going!"

Adam and Viktor laughed as they carefully placed Lizzie's birthday cake down on the kitchen counter. Samantha and Elena placed the rest of the things that they needed for Samantha to finish decorating the cake with. Elena kicked them out of the kitchen so the boys would leave them alone.

"Jeez, we don't even get a thank you," Viktor playfully frowned.

Elena rolled her eyes but had a smile on her face. "Thank you for carrying the cake."

"Anytime," Adam winked.

She walked back to Samantha, who was decorating the cake, with girlish smile on her face. Samantha looked in her direction and smirked, "don't even think about it. The season is over and he could get drafted anytime."

"I was just looking," Elena scoffed.

Samantha chuckled as she continued to decorate the cake. It didn't take her very long since she had done most of it in her shop; she had just wanted to finish up some little last minute details. After she finished up with the details, she placed the glass cover over the cake so no harm would be done to it.

"That was easy," she smiled, "I'm going to get changed really quick."

Elena handed her the bag that she had put her clothes in so she could change out of her work clothes. Samantha went up into Sharp's and Abby's bathroom so she could have a little more privacy when she changed. She was glad to change out of the shirts Grant had bought her since it was covered in flour.

She quickly headed back downstairs so she could hide her bags in the kitchen. Elena was talking to Adam and Patrick Kane when she came down the stairs. She went back into the kitchen to check on the cake and hoped that no one touched the cake.

"You did a nice job there," Jon smiled. "I can't wait to eat it."

She smirked up at him and covered the cake back up. "Well you're going to have to. If anyone touches this cake I'm going to kill them."

"I'll keep note on that."

All she did was shove Jon slightly at his silly comment and that's all it took for him to give him that shy, little boy smile he always gave her. She noticed, but didn't say anything about it since she didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable; she had just suggested that they go back to the party, which he happily agreed to. She walked straight to Elena, who was still talking to Viktor and Kaner.

Jon stood next to the snack table and grabbed a few things to eat. Elena walked over to refill her drink. He didn't see her walk over, so he was slightly startled when she walked over to say hello.

"Sorry," she laughed, "I didn't mean to scare you."

He laughed nervously, "no, it's fine. So how have you been? I haven't seen you in a while."

"I miss my Jersey Shore buddy," she said quietly, knowing that if anyone else knew that he had watched that show, that he wouldn't hear the end of it. "And I've been good; I'm on a hunt for a boyfriend though and so far it hasn't been successful."

"I remember Sam said something about a double date. How did that go anyway?" He curiously asked.

Elena shrugged, "he's fun to flirt with but that's about it. But I know you're more interested in her part of the date."

He smiled, "I care about your part of the date just as much as hers."

"I'm sure you do," she rolled her eyes. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going back to Viktor. We were having an interesting conversation before I came over."

He found it amusing how he seemed to have more things in common with Elena than Sam yet he could never see himself dating her. It would be like dating a little sister. Before he could even walk anywhere else, Patrick Sharp came up to him to talk.

"How long are you going to stare at her?" Sharp asked.

Jon looked slightly down at Sharp since they were only an inch apart from each other. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"You've been looking in Sam's direction for five minutes. You're at a birthday party for my kid, at least pretend you like being here," Sharp joked.

Jon shot Sharp a dirty glance before Abby greeted Jon with a hug. Jon excused himself from the couple and mingled with some of his other friends, as well as teammates. He would occasionally hear her laugh or voice and he would look up at her. She had caught him looking at her a few times and just like before, she didn't do anything about it.

A few hours later, Viktor and Adam came out with the cake in their hands. The candles were lit as a few people began singing "happy birthday" to Lizzie. They carefully placed the cake on the table as Abby put Lizzie down on the floor. Lizzie smiled down at the cake that Samantha had spent hours working on.

After everyone had finished singing, Abby helped Lizzie blow out the candles. Everyone clapped for the little girl and Abby began to cut the cake to pass it out to everybody. As soon as they took a bite of the cake, they began to compliment on how the cake was beautiful and delicious.

"Well, looks like your cake is a hit," Elena smiled.

Samantha only smiled down at Elena as everyone else began to go back to what they were originally doing. Abby turned the radio back up so the children could dance to the random song that played on the radio. Thanks to Sharp, they were listening to some radio station on Pandora, and not a regular radio station that constantly played the same songs over, and over again.

She felt a little punch in her stomach as she listened to the music that played through the speakers of the radio. Out of all the songs that were out in the world, the radio station just had to play this song. Their song. Across the room, Jon heard the song as well. He looked in the direction of the radio, and of course, Samantha was standing there. They stared at each other, and awkwardly stared at each other.

"Meet me on your best behavior; meet me at your worst. For there will be no stone unturned or bubble left to burst. Let me lay beside you darling, let me be your man and let our bodies intertwine, but always understand that everything, everything ends."

Image


Around seven o'clock, Lizzie and the younger children were tired out and were all passed out in Lizzie's room. The adults could now have their little fun and have their alcoholic beverages. The sun was slowly setting and gave off orange and yellow hues. Abby decorated their backyard with beautiful hanging lights and it looked too perfect to be their backyard since Sharp was known to be a little destructive.

Samantha opened up the sliding glass door to go out to their backyard since it was getting a little warm indoors. Jon was already sitting on the little stone wall that they head that lead from the patio, to the grassy area. She groaned to herself, knowing that she should have already known that Jon would be out here. He wasn't a fan of crowded areas.

"Hey," she smiled, sitting next to him, "why are you out here all by yourself?"

He shrugged, "it was getting too hot in there." She nodded, understanding why he did so. "How awkward was earlier?"

"Very," she chuckled nervously. "It's been a while; you'd think we wouldn't feel so uncomfortable anymore."

"Not many people are comfortable around ex's. Some of them are forced to be around each other, but not us," he said as he avoided eye contact. "I interrupted your date the other night and I'm sure I'll end up ruining more if they leave me with Lizzie."

She shoved him, "you weren't that bad." She complimented, "besides, we didn't leave off on bad terms. I didn't want to kill you and you didn't think I was crazy. To me, I think it was pretty successful."

He just smirked lightly at her comment. It was true that they didn't have a crazy break up; she took it better than he expected. He was somewhat hurt that she didn't try to put up a fight, or even cry a little when he told her. She held a strong face and they talked things through and he just left and went on with his day.

"So," she spoke up after a few minutes of silence, "how are you doing?"

"I'm good," he nodded.

"No, I mean how are you really doing?"

He sighed and looked down at her, silently asking if he really had to answer the question. "I'm doing fine," he answered, somewhat truthfully. "I would ask you the same thing, but you're already dating someone else," he gave her a big smirk.

"Hey, it's nothing serious," she laughed, "just because he takes me out to these fancy restaurants and buys my bakery shirts doesn't mean we're serious."

"You never wanted to go to fancy restaurants with me," he said, feeling slightly insulted.

She rolled her eyes, "Jon, are we really having this talk now?" He looked at her completely serious, making her dread the fact that she agreed to stay longer at the party. "I knew those restaurants weren't you. I was fine with eating at a diner and eating a cheeseburger. With him, I go to nice Chinese restaurants or go to Korean barbecue."

"He sounds like a tool bag."

"Jon!" She scolded, "You don't even know him! You're acting like a little kid."

He didn't know what came over him for him to say something so rude about a guy he didn't even know. Feeling embarrassed, he stood up and went back inside. Once he walked inside, he tried to act as normal as he could. When he went to the kitchen to grab some soda or water, Patrick Kane was making another plate of food.

"I think I just fucked up," Jon panicked.

"What did you do this time?" Kaner asked.

"I called Sam's new boyfriend a tool bag just because he actually likes eating the same food as her."

"You didn't fuck up; you're just being a stupid ex-boyfriend," Kaner explained, "why do you think you fucked in in the first place?"

"She got really mad at me and I don't want her being mad at me," he explained.

"Jon, you're not her boyfriend anymore. Who cares if she's mad at you? You don't have to worry about it anymore," Kaner said seriously, "yeah she'll think you’re an idiot but she's an ex for a reason."

Jon stood there and thought about it for a moment. Kaner did have a point though; they weren't together anymore, so he didn't have to worry about Samantha getting mad at him for any stupid reason. That was the whole point in being single. Yet he still couldn't accept the idea of her being mad at him.

“How about we go out next week and go get some drinks?” Kaner asked with a smile, “it’s summer and there are plenty of girls home from college for the summer. What do ya say? It’s been a while since you've been in the game.”

He pursed his lips out and thought about Kaner’s offer. “I guess it wouldn’t be too bad. It’s been a while since I’ve been out because of the games and practices.”

“That’s the spirit!” Kaner smiled, “we’ll invite some of the other guys to come and join us. Bar hopping is always more fun when you have more people going with you.”

“Depending on when we go out, I might have to leave early. I have an interview with ESPN on Wednesday,” Jon said.

Kaner nodded, “dually noted. I’ll see what strings I can pull and hopefully some hot girls will be out. I don’t think I can even wait till next weekend to go out.”

“Thanks Kaner,” he smiled lightly.

"Anything for you, bro."
♠ ♠ ♠
This one's a little different from the original one I wrote; some of you may notice if you read this before the server crashed. I still loved hearing from you guys though! And I love to hear more feedback!

So three or four comments and I'll update again? (: