Status: Active

Not Over You

six

Samantha put her sleek, straight hair into a ponytail and put her bangs into a little bump before she walked towards her closet. She pulled out her black dress that she had to buy especially for the party that Grant's office was having. It was party thrown by a new bank that was trying to branch out in Chicago, and of course, Grant's company were the ones to come up with the commercials for the public to see.

Her makeup was finished and Grant should arrive any moment. She put the dress on and grabbed her favorite black heels. The black dress had about an inch thick strap and had a loose V-neck cup for her chest. She slipped on her favorite heels, which were sleek and shiny. She took a final look in the mirror before grabbing her laced clutch and heading towards her living room. Ever since the girls had gotten into a fight, Elena hadn't been home. She would pop in every now and then to grab some of her things. Samantha didn't know where she had been staying for the past week, but she honestly didn't care.

Grant knocked on the door and patiently waited for her to answer it. When the door opened, he stood there in a well-tailored suit. It was a simple black suit with a skinny black tie. His shiny black shoes could almost show you your reflection. His shoes made hers look dull and plain.

"Wow. You look..."

"Is this too much?" She asked, "I have another dress in my closet."

He shook his head as he walked into her apartment. His hands cupped her face and pulled her into a kiss, trying not to mess up her make up. "You look beautiful. Don't worry about it."

"Thank you," she smiled, "you look handsome as well."

"It's all for you," he said, making her smile. "Are you all set to go?"

"I am," she nodded.

They exited her apartment and she locked her door. When she turned around to walk down the hall with Grant, he held his arm out for her to take. She gladly took his arm, and walked down the hall arm in arm. They walked towards the elevator when it dinged, signaling that someone was about to get off. The elevator doors opened, and there stood Viktor Stalberg with flowers in his hand.

"Sam!" He smiled brightly, stepping out of the elevator.

She stood there, stunned. "Hey Vik," she smiled, "what are you doing here?"

"I actually came by to drop these off for you," he answered, "they're from Elena."

Samantha just sighed and glanced over at Grant. "Will we be late if I talk to him for five minutes?"

"Of course not, take all the time you need," he said before kissing her cheek. He and Viktor exchanged a little head nod before Grant walked into the elevator.

She told Viktor to follow her to follow her apartment so he could drop off the flowers. "So do you mind telling me how Elena was able to talk to you?"

"I went out to dinner with my sister and I actually ran into her. She was nervous and I told her I would drop it off for her," he explained.

She gave him a skeptical look. "You're dating her, aren't you?"

"What? No," he laughed, "trust me, if I was, you'd know about it."

"Damn it, then who is she dating?" She asked, frustrated. "Do I even know the guy?"

Viktor laughed, "Don’t worry, you do."

"How do you know who she's dating?"

He gave her a shrug as he walked towards the door. "I promised I wouldn't say anything. If you want answers, you should go and talk to a Mr. Sharp." He said, "I'll see you later, Sam."

Viktor left her apartment, leaving her confused as ever. Instead of wasting her time thinking about it, she left her apartment once more to head to Grant's car. He unlocked the car door when he saw that she was getting closer and started up the car. When she got into the car, she kissed his cheek and thanked him for waiting. He began to drive to the party as he took her hand with his right hand. He held it the rest of the way, and she just thought it was one of the cutest things ever.

They entered his office building and instantly they were surrounded by a crowd of people. Grant was right; she had nothing to worry about. There were girls with shorter dresses and ones that showed way too much cleavage. She had met some of Grant's work friends and they all jokingly told her that she was too good to be with Grant.

"Oh crap, my boss is coming over here," Grant grumbled, putting his drink down. "Mr. Clarke! So wonderful to see you and the misses."

"Grant, it's so nice seeing you again," Mrs. Clarke said, giving Grant the googly eyes. Samantha held in her laughter since Mrs. Clarke was an old woman with all white hair. "Who is this, dear?"

"This is my girlfriend, Samantha," Grant introduced them. "This is my boss, Mark Clarke and his wife, Melinda Clarke."

"It's nice to meet you two," Samantha said, shaking their wrinkly hands.

Mr. Clarke smiled, "do you mind me asking what you do for a living, dear?"

"Not at all, sir. I own a bakery called Sweet September over on 4th and Main Street," she said with a proud smile.

Mr. Clarke's eyes went wide, "oh, you own that bakery! You make delicious cookies!"

Grant did his best to get away from his boss and his wife. It took them a few minutes since they kept asking Samantha all these questions about her bakery. Once they were finally away, Grant led the way over to one of his work friends, Milo. He was there with a pretty blonde girl, although Samantha didn't know if she was a girlfriend or just a date.

Milo had curly hair and a goatee. He dressed very well but looks as if he should have been an adult in the 70's. His goatee matched his hair in color. His appearance was enough to tell that he didn't want to be there. He just wore khaki slacks, a white button down that missed a few buttons on the bottom, and a dark brown sports jacket.

"Man, your girlfriend is so much hotter than my date," Milo complimented, "my date is a one night stand I couldn't get rid of. I guess it's a win, win for the both of us."

"You look like a slob," Grant said, eyeing his friend up, "did you even go home and change?"

Milo shook his head, "I went home and grabbed a beer."

He made Samantha laugh. He was different from Grant, but she could see the bromance they had going on. Milo was funny and she liked that a lot about him. She didn't mind standing there while the two men mingled. This gave her time to think about Jon and Elena. She hasn't seen or spoke to Jon since the charity event. That was almost three weeks ago. With Elena, it had only been a week, and that was the longest the girls went without talking to each other since Elena arrived from Georgia.

When the party was over, Grant was going to drive her home. Instead, Elena asked him to take her to Patrick Sharp's house.

"Are you sure you want to do this tonight?" Grant asked, "You don't want to wait until morning?"

She sighed, "I have to, Grant. Elena and I may be in a fight but we're still best friends. I have to find out what's going on."

He nodded, "alright. Just promise me you'll call me when you get home."

"I promise," she smiled, before kissing him.

Image


Luckily on Samantha's part, Abby and Sharp were still awake. They married couple actually took a nap earlier with Lizzie and wasn't tired when Samantha had arrived at their home around half past eleven.

"Are you sure I'm not bothering you?" Samantha asked Sharp for the fifth time.

He gave her a look, "if you ask one more time I'm throwing you out." She felt guilty, but then smiled once she saw that he smiled and was only joking. "What can I do for you, kid-o?"

"Who is Elena dating? I ran into Vik earlier and he said to talk to you," she began, "I'm so confused and I don't know who else to turn to."

"Why does everybody come to me?" He groaned, "Don’t you guys remember that I'm the one who pulls pranks and can be one of the biggest asses on the team?"

She shrugged, giving him a little smile. "Lizzie changed you."

Sharp grunted, knowing it was true. He wasn't as much of a trouble maker ever since his daughter had been born. "I don't know if they're actually dating yet, but she's been at Adam's place for the past week."

"I should have known it was Adam! At Lizzie's party they were making googly eyes at each other all night! I told her to stay away! He could get drafted!"

He laughed, "Calm down. I mean, what's the big deal anyway? They're both happy."

"I don't know," she mumbled. "Answer this for me while you're at it, what did Jon tell you guys about us?"

Sharp sat there, not knowing what to do. Jon was one of his good friends and teammate. Their relationship was built on trust for on and off the ice, but Samantha was a good friend as well. Of course, he wouldn't have met her if it wasn't for Jon, but he still felt she was as good as a friend as Jon.

"Fine, you didn't hear it from me, got it?" He asked; she nodded. "He just told us how he was supposed to meet Kaner for a party and ended up meeting you. You guys got into a fight, started kissing, and-"

"We didn't have sex," she cut in, "we almost did."

He smiled, "you wanted to, didn't you?"

She gave him a smirk. "No I didn't."

"Well, from what Toews told me, you guys always had crazy, hot, sex," he said, "sounds like something you don't pass up. I know I wouldn't."

"But that was while we dated. We aren't even together anymore."

He noticed the slightly annoyed, yet sad look on her face. She usually had that look whenever someone mentioned their break up. "What happened between you guys anyway?" He asked seriously.

She shrugged, "hockey and having a girlfriend was too much for him to handle. He had to let one of them go, and obviously he isn't going to let his career go."

"Didn't you guys meet when he bumped into you and knocked all of your cupcakes over?"

She laughed, "Yes! I was loading the truck up with cupcakes for a kid's birthday party and he wasn't paying attention to where he was going. He knocked me and those fifty cupcakes over." He laughed along with her, and when their laughter calmed down, she stared at the floor. "Thanks, Sharp." She said before smiling up at him.

"No problem. I'll stop by tomorrow and get my free cupcake," he smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys so much for all the amazing feedback! I love hearing how you guys are liking how the story is going so far. I know a lot of you are wondering how Jon and Sam met and their history together. All of those questions will be answered in the next chapter!

And I went up about 20 subscribers in two chapters! You guys are truly amazing and I can never thank you guys enough.

Please keep it up! <3